Snail ratio?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
SunDevil76
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Snail ratio?

I have a question concerning snails. I wasn't interested in obtaining any at first, but I realized there is a variety of benefits that come with keeping snails. I was thinking about having several Malaysian Trumpet Snails so that they can help clean the tank and aerate the soil/substrate. I have heard about snail population explosions, which is specifically what I would like to avoid. I heard about Assassin Snails being used to address this issue. However, I don't want them to take over as well!

I'm a beginner when it comes to fish keeping, in fact the tank I am planning on keeping them (a 25gal Planted with Dirt/Eco Complete) hasn't even been set up yet. This is just for once I get things up and running. So, is there a golden ratio where I can keep both species in the tank without one population exploding or totally dying off? (i.e 1 Assasin Snail per 5 MTS )?
SunDevil76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
wrm130
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Assassins snails go after ramshorn and pond snails first, then MTS....which breed significantly faster than Assassins.....which contrary to popular belief DO breed. I've sold hundreds over a period of 6months.

Toss in your MTS snails and give them a couple weeks to establish, then toss in 2-4 assassins....things should balance out on their own, and if they dont, there's always someone around willing to buy a few assassins.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
SunDevil76
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm130 View Post
Assassins snails go after ramshorn and pond snails first, then MTS....which breed significantly faster than Assassins.....which contrary to popular belief DO breed. I've sold hundreds over a period of 6months.

Toss in your MTS snails and give them a couple weeks to establish, then toss in 2-4 assassins....things should balance out on their own, and if they dont, there's always someone around willing to buy a few assassins.
Thanks for the input! Are MTS the best choice though for cleanup? I've heard they're only so-so when it comes to eating algae/waste. Also, should I be worried about bioload concerning snails? (Or other invertebrates in general)
SunDevil76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #4
wrm130
Planted Member

I like shrimp as cleaners Mts are good too and aerate the substrate nicely. So do assassins for that matter.

As far as bioload goes, snails poop allot but it shouldn't be a problem unless a bunch die and rot or you get totally overrun. Even then, they're small.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
chrisuf2000
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm130 View Post
I like shrimp as cleaners Mts are good too and aerate the substrate nicely. So do assassins for that matter.

As far as bioload goes, snails poop allot but it shouldn't be a problem unless a bunch die and rot or you get totally overrun. Even then, they're small.

what shrimp are you using as cleaners? RCS or Amanos or just any of them in general?
chrisuf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
wrm130
Planted Member

snowballs, cherries, chocolates, blue pearls...all work well.(in numbers)

Amano's are amazing as well.

So I guess the answer is both.

However, I do appreciate the green spot algae eating ability of nerite snails, so I have them in a few tanks without assassins.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.