java ferns: anyone else have this problem? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes I too have this problem. I can't grow java fern in any of my tanks. It all turns black and dies. I bought 100$ worth of java fern, over 4 square feet of the stuff and 1 year later I now have 3 meager rhizomes about 1 inch long each and dieing. Survivors they are indeed, but dieing, yes.
mr.bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
hutch11
Planted Member

could it be that, since I have well water, maybe I have to many minerals in the water?..i really like the ferns but I wish they would actually grow green haha
hutch11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #18
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffyFunk View Post
I'm sure this is going to be a controversial comment, but i find java ferns to be very sensitive to your water quality. All of mine used to grow okay w/ the black sections like you have until i started to use activated carbon in my canister filters. Since then, my java ferns grow much nicer looker with much less black sections. (I also don't get BBA as much, either, since i started using activated carbon.)

Maybe i'm just unlucky with my tap water and something is in it that my java ferns don't like... For me activated carbon did the trick. I'm sure there are plenty of people w/ great water from the tap that don't have this problem (of okay tap water quality) and grow great java ferns with no problem, but i'm wondering if anyone has noticed this as well... has anyone added activated carbon or switched to a purified water source like RO/DI and noticed a change in their java ferns growth?
I grow it outside in a stock 70 gallon tank with endlers and guppies and it grows like weeds in hard water attached to wood , no filter (I change 1/4 to 1/2 water volume weekly)

It seems to grow very well in sunlight . I am trying some inside now but don't know how that will work out.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I did read once somewhere the Java Fern is sensitive to chlorine. I don’t remember where that was exactly so take it with a grain of salt.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #20
hutch11
Planted Member

I shouldn't have any chlorine in my water ! I should be able to rule that out!
Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

what about light? java fern are low light and tend to like cooler water i have found. java fern trident does better than wendlov or common and i also have a narrow leaf that has done pretty well. my tanks tend to stay no warmer than 70 and are alllow light
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
hutch11
Planted Member

well I can not really bring my tank down to that temp...my stays at about 76 degress all the time..i have cfls..im not sure what that's considered for lighting
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #23
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

the package should have told you. i know i have 10 and 15 watt cfl bulbs but they are equal to a lot stronger like 30 to 50 watt i think. some plants just dont like warm water and some dont like cold. i know mosses dont like warm water either. i dont tend to do to well with common java but my trident loves what ever i do cause it grows like a weed
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
hutch11
Planted Member

my lights are 13w replacements for 60w regular bulb if that is what you mean
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #25
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
what about light? java fern are low light and tend to like cooler water i have found. java fern trident does better than wendlov or common and i also have a narrow leaf that has done pretty well. my tanks tend to stay no warmer than 70 and are alllow light
As long as you have the CO2 and nutrients to back it up, java fern does fine in higher light. It's known as a low light plant because it can still grow in low light not because it requires low light.

I'm not sure it prefers cooler temps either. It's really not a very demanding plant and should do well if other plants in your tank are also, but it seems like there are times when there's just that one plant that gives you trouble
Jeff5614 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
hutch11
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
As long as you have the CO2 and nutrients to back it up, java fern does fine in higher light. It's known as a low light plant because it can still grow in low light not because it requires low light.

I'm not sure it prefers cooler temps either. It's really not a very demanding plant and should do well if other plants in your tank are also, but it seems like there are times when there's just that one plant that gives you trouble
I run DIY c02, and I dose some flourish as well!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

What is your water like? Java fern needs more than flourish in most water. If I don't feed it goes down hill fast.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
hutch11
Planted Member

The reason I got the java fern was because I read it was easy to maintain...and its becoming a lot harder than I thought....I want to keep this a lower cost tank..I don't wanna spend money on a whole bunch of ferts..the ferns are the only plant that is not doing so hot...I am keeping it simple with the flourish, the lights I have, and DIY c02!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 AM   #29
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i dont use anything in my tanks but a filter to push water. no ferts no co2 but i dont have high light either. and all my tanks do pretty well. ive always been told java fern like crypts can burn from to much light.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #30
hutch11
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i dont use anything in my tanks but a filter to push water. no ferts no co2 but i dont have high light either. and all my tanks do pretty well. ive always been told java fern like crypts can burn from to much light.
My crypts wendtii have just stopped melting from being transferred from store to tank..and now they are sprouting new leaves almos every 3 days!
the fern seems to be growing..just has black all over it