New to Shrimp Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Water7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New to Shrimp Questions

I am eager to start with shrimp, but I have only kept ghost shrimp. I've been having a hard time finding red cherries locally (or any shrimp, in fact), but that is what I would like to try. I have some questions:

1. Is it unsafe for me to buy shrimp, shipped priority, since our priority packages take four days to reach us here?

2. I have a 20 gallon tank, well planted. It has DIY CO2 that is currently about 7 bpm. I use dry ferts, using the Estimated Index for a 20-40 gallon tank. However, I only give 2 doses per week instead of 3. I change out 3.5 or so gallons of water per week. I use well water. The tank houses 3 small adult guppies and some fry. From this description, do you see any red flags of why this tank might not be a good environment for shrimp? Would it need larger water changes? Would the DIY CO2 be a problem?

3. My 10 gallon tank has no CO2, mineralized topsoil under substrate, and no fish. It's lightly planted so far, and I'm still trying to figure out the correct amount of ferts. It is not cycled (was only started this month), but I can add some biomedia from my other tank, so I hope that would help. Since there have been no fish so far (only snails) I have not done any water changes. Do you have any advice on what I would need to do with this tank to make it possibly safe for shrimp? How much in the way of water changes would be needed? This tank has no heater at present. I assume I would need one for red cherry shrimp, at least when the weather gets colder.

Edit: I just noticed my small snails in the 10 gallon died. I will change some of the water. Before adding shrimp, I would put in the aged biomedia, and try to start cycling it with some guppy fry.

I understand it is hard for you to advise without my knowing the water parameters for either of these tanks. However, if you see any red flags from the information above, I would be glad if you would let me know. Thank you!

Last edited by Water7; 07-28-2013 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: more accurate info.
Water7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Water7
Algae Grower

I am sorry if my questions were too vague, perhaps. I am not too concerned about the tanks, but I would appreciate opinions on whether it is feasible for me to receive shrimp by priority mail. Our priority packages take four days to reach us here. Would shrimp not do well with that long a time in transit? Thank you!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
xavinovic
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

If you decide to order shrimp and ship priority mind your weather. I would highly recommend express shipping.

If your 20 gallon tank is planted that is a really good thing but the DIY Co2 is a big red flag as you don't have any control over the amount of Co2 going to your tank. I did this once and lost a lot of shrimp. If you are trying to keep shrimp while using Co2, i will highly recommend a co2 regulator. Dosing fertz might be ok, I'm sure there are a few ppl doing it. You just really have to check your water parameters and perform weekly water changes up to 50%.

If you just started your 10 gallon about a month ago, make sure is fully cycled before adding any Cherrie shrimp. Adding cycled media is a really good idea to speed up the process.
xavinovic is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (121/100%)

If you are getting neos, I've had packages go awol and last over 7 days in breather bags. Other people have had even longer than that. You'll be fine if they insulate the priority box.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
blacksheep998
Planted Member

I once had some cherries arrive after 5 days in the mail and had no DOA. They weren't even in a breather bag, but I wish they had been since I could tell how badly stressed they were from the ordeal.

So long as the weather is mild 4 days shouldn't be a problem at all.
blacksheep998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water7 View Post
I am eager to start with shrimp, but I have only kept ghost shrimp. I've been having a hard time finding red cherries locally (or any shrimp, in fact), but that is what I would like to try. I have some questions:

1. Is it unsafe for me to buy shrimp, shipped priority, since our priority packages take four days to reach us here?

2. I have a 20 gallon tank, well planted. It has DIY CO2 that is currently about 7 bpm. I use dry ferts, using the Estimated Index for a 20-40 gallon tank. However, I only give 2 doses per week instead of 3. I change out 3.5 or so gallons of water per week. I use well water. The tank houses 3 small adult guppies and some fry. From this description, do you see any red flags of why this tank might not be a good environment for shrimp? Would it need larger water changes? Would the DIY CO2 be a problem?

3. My 10 gallon tank has no CO2, mineralized topsoil under substrate, and no fish. It's lightly planted so far, and I'm still trying to figure out the correct amount of ferts. It is not cycled (was only started this month), but I can add some biomedia from my other tank, so I hope that would help. Since there have been no fish so far (only snails) I have not done any water changes. Do you have any advice on what I would need to do with this tank to make it possibly safe for shrimp? How much in the way of water changes would be needed? This tank has no heater at present. I assume I would need one for red cherry shrimp, at least when the weather gets colder.

Edit: I just noticed my small snails in the 10 gallon died. I will change some of the water. Before adding shrimp, I would put in the aged biomedia, and try to start cycling it with some guppy fry.

I understand it is hard for you to advise without my knowing the water parameters for either of these tanks. However, if you see any red flags from the information above, I would be glad if you would let me know. Thank you!
Add more plants.Fast growing ones like cabomba and frogbit ,etc.
I bought some of mine already attached to driftwood and lava stone.They were in a plants for sale aquarium ,in which a fish was swimming also ,so I thought they might contain more BB to help start the cycle and I wasn't wrong.I planted lots of Crypts and Anubias at first ,then I added Cabomba and Frogbit.
The tank was 3 weeks old with no water changes when I had to put the shrimp in ,because a friend needed to get rid of them.luckily I had started to add denitrifying bacteria (Denitrol) for about 3 days..,and after adding the shrimp I also put some JBL filterstart.
Until shrimp were added ,I already had hitchiker snails ,cyclops ,copepods ,and daphnia....maybe more critters that I didn't see ,so it was on the right track.I kept adding Denitrol a week after inserting the shrimp(3 amano and african filter shrimp ,not a heavy bioload at all).So far they are alive and well.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Water7
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your replies. I really do appreciate hearing from others who have more experience. Among the plants that I have in the non CO2 tank now are cabomba, hornwort, and anacharis, as well as moss. Actually, it seems maybe one small snail died. I am glad the others were fine. So probably things are moving along all right.

I also appreciate the cautions regarding CO2 and fertilizers. I would rather avoid them with the shrimp, if possible. That is why they might need to go in the smaller tank.

Thanks again for your responses!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Water7
Algae Grower

I would also appreciate some opinions from those who have experience, on whether I should use a heater for cherry shrimp. In the winter, we heat our house during the day, but often we do not at night. So there would be temperature fluctuations. I am interested in whether cherry shrimp keepers normally use a heater or not. I do not have an extra heater, but I will buy one if it is necessary.

After reading so many things about shrimp, I am just afraid I am not going to do this right. I am considering putting a few shrimp into the fertilized, DIY-CO2 tank, and the rest into the lightly fertilized, non-CO2, dirt tank, in case somehow they do not do well in one tank. I currently have fish in both tanks, and aged filter media in both tanks. Thank you for your opinions!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
$AN DIEGO N8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default shrimp starting

shrimp can and have been able to withstand delivery i personally have had them take up to 4 days. If youre lucky maybe the usps will keep it away from direct sunlight.some shrimp are more sensitive though . younger shrimp do great !! have fun with them !!
$AN DIEGO N8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

You don't really need a heater. How large are the temperature swings? And I think as long as it's not a swing into either of the extreme high's or low's, you'll be fine, especially with cherry shrimp.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Water7
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for your replies. I've decided to start without a heater for now, but may get one eventually.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
typage76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

If you look around the forums you should be able to find someone close to you who has Red Cherries pretty cheap. PM me if you need any suggestions.
typage76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.