ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden(pics of summer 2013 page 4) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Trail_Mix
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow, great looking pond, I would love to have something like this one day! If I had a pond like this, I would totally try to build a green-house and set up an aquaponic system hehe
Trail_Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #32
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Well it's that time of year again for the back breaking task of spring cleaning on the pond. The plan is to try to get it done sometime next weekend(weather permitting). I will be removing more of the sweetflag and bullrush as that stuff would take over the entire pond if I didn't remove a majority of it every year. Last summer I had to take a saw to some of it as the roots went down about 3 feet to the bottom of the pond and were jammed in amongst some huge stones.

I have been looking for some Ludwigia sediodes to put in here this summer and hopefully can find some from a member here or else I have found an online source but would rather spend my money with people here.

I may try to put some plants from my tank in there if I can figure out a way to keep the koi away from them otherwise they will become food rather quickly. I put a 2 gallon bucket of duckweed in there last year and the next morning you could barely see any, except some that got right up next to the edge of the pond that they couldn't reach. I will try to post some pictures as soon as the clean up is done.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #33
Sharpchick
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beautiful pond! I think I could sit there and look at that one for hours.

Since koi live so long, are you interested in more spawning? Do you sell koi?
Sharpchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #34
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Watching this pond every summer is one of the most cool things on Planted Tank.

Can't wait to see how it develops this season!
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #35
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpchick View Post
Beautiful pond! I think I could sit there and look at that one for hours.

Since koi live so long, are you interested in more spawning? Do you sell koi?
The 2 oldest ones in the pond have to be 16-17 years old as I have had them in this pond for 12 years and they were in a small preformed pond that I had before this for 2-3 years. They were 3-4" fish when I bought them. I would love them to spawn again but I guess nature has a way of telling you that your at max capacity. I guess I will see what happens this year. I have sold hundreds of juvenile koi in the first 5 or 6 years after I installed this pond. I always kept a few that I thought would turn out to be nice looking koi when full grown but what one looks like when 3" can change drastically when they reach 10"+. I had a few that had really nice markings when smaller that ended up looking rather average when they became older. There is still a few that I have kept that don't have the best colors/markings but when you have them so long that they take food out of your hands you become attached to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Watching this pond every summer is one of the most cool things on Planted Tank.

Can't wait to see how it develops this season!
Thanks for the comments. I will try to post some pictures of the pond after maintenance as it is a little dirty right now, nothing terrible just the crap that accumulates at the bottom from one year to the next. Here's a few pics of some of the fish.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 05-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #36
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow! Super amazing! How many gallons is it?

I have some goldfish and koi outside in a pond. Been there for a couple years at least. They won't take any prepared food though?
Old 05-28-2013, 04:51 AM   #37
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
Wow! Super amazing! How many gallons is it?

I have some goldfish and koi outside in a pond. Been there for a couple years at least. They won't take any prepared food though?
It is somewhere between 4,900-5,200 gallons or about 1,000 trips w/ 5 gallon buckets. J/K

Your fish might not take prepared food because of the supply of food available to them from insect larvae to algae that is in the pond. I feed my fish several different kinds of prepared food but mostly they get pellet food which I get from a fish hatchery that is close to me. It's cheap and I can buy it in huge quantities. A small bag or can of pond fish food would be gone in 2 days. I also dump in buckets of duckweed which they can polish off in one day.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Very nice. This is the thing that impresses me the most:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
The 2 oldest ones in the pond have to be 16-17 years old as I have had them in this pond for 12 years and they were in a small preformed pond that I had before this for 2-3 years. They were 3-4" fish when I bought them...
What great hobby success story!
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #39
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really nice pond n fish!
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

Stunning pond! Beautiful fish!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #41
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

This is a magnificent pond with gorgeous fish.

It sounds like you do not relish the annual labor involved, but I can tell from here that it is worth it. Well done!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #42
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
Really nice pond n fish!
Thanks Izabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxtonhill View Post
Stunning pond! Beautiful fish!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
This is a magnificent pond with gorgeous fish.

It sounds like you do not relish the annual labor involved, but I can tell from here that it is worth it. Well done!
Thanks, I don't mind it as much as I make it sound but it's a whole weekend project getting it cleaned for the summer.

I took quite a few pictures after cleaning it I just haven't had time to post them yet, but I do have some good news. After several years of no spawns about 2 weeks ago I saw them spawning early one morning. I spent the next few weeks checking for any eggs/wigglers that may have made it before getting ate and didn't see anything so I was not holding out hope that I would have any babies again this year. Last night after checking almost everyday I saw a few 3/4"-1" fish swimming in and out of the rocks and bullrush so I know that some did in fact make it. There could be hundreds of them in there and you wouldn't see them because there is so many places for them to hide. I only happened to see these because I was laying on my belly pulling out some dead lily leaves. I will get the pictures up next week after I get back from my vacation.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #43
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

Beautiful pond! It's great you finally had your fish spawn again. It may be some maintenance but the results are well worth the effort to me.

I had a "pond" at my old house. It was a wooden box I made to sit on my deck and held around 250 gallons. I had a few goldfish, water hyacinth, a water lilly and some star grass in it. It was really relaxing to sit by it and just watch. It was also one of my more successful fish related projects. My wife and I are talking a little bit about a water feature here. I just need to get busy and do it.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:57 AM   #44
wsharp
Algae Grower

wow havent seen this nice of a pond in quite some time!!!
wsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #45
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is pretty awesome. I'm sure it's on every fish junkie's wish list.

If you were to start over, what would you have done differently?
pandacory is online now   Reply With Quote