New ram pics
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-25-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Those of you who've read enough of my posts knows that I'm somewhat of a 'ram snob,' preferring wild-type fish to tank-bred ones. For the longest time (or so it seems :? ) I've been looking for a healthy wild male to go with my wild female, but every single import that's come in has been afflicted with lymphocystis.

Then last week I found a 'new' (2-year-old) store that had somehow managed to escape my radar, mainly because they missed last year's deadline to submit their ad in the Yellow Pages. Anyway, I revisited them a couple of days ago to find, IMHO, the most beautiful rams--wild or bred--that I've ever encountered. I'm guessing that the original breeder somewhere in Florida reinfused his stock with wild-type genes, which is always a good idea. Needless to say, it didn't take much convincing for me to end my search for a wild male and take one of the store's rams home with me. He almost looks like a gold ram in these pictures, but that's because he's not totally thrilled with being in quarantine right now, so he's not fully showing his lateral body spot. Or perhaps he senses his queen is waiting for him in the 40G... The blue sheen on this guy is unlike anything I've ever seen on a ram. Hope you'll agree...

2la is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #2
Pete
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Pete

2la, thats one of the finest rams i have ever seen. I wish i could find them in my area like that. Well done
Pete...
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Wow, and he's actually not showing his full color? It's nice to see a finer example of a Ram every once in a while!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
mad about fish
Algae Grower

stunning :shock:
what more can i say
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Wow, those are fantastic. I would LOVE to have a Ram pair in my tank like that. Very cool.
My Aquarium (2.0MB Image) - SeaClear 25G Tall - Seachem Ferts - Hikari Food - AH Supply 55w CF Kit w/ 5300k Lamp - Eheim 2213 Classic - Pro Heat Titanium - Nutrafin CO2 NPS - Island Aquarium Canopy & Base - Vortex D-1 (Occasional Maintenance Polishing)
newplantguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Always making us envious with your awesome pics! But I've found good quality stock like that at oddballfish.com...your's are equally nice though. Nice one 2la!
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2004, 10:42 PM   #7
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll try asking the owner where he got his stock from. He didn't recall when I asked him about it casually, but maybe he can track down some of his paperwork if I ask him nicely. Hopefully he finds it and your LFS can contact the same company, if you're interested.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:55 AM   #8
Piscesgirl
Planted Member

Beautiful fish!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
Always making us envious with your awesome pics! But I've found good quality stock like that at oddballfish.com...
Raul, I just realized you might have been talking about these fish, but these are precisely the ones that I, personally (I mean no offense to anyone who prefers these fish), dislike. The body is excessively tall and the forehead humped, as if it had a growth hormone-secreting tumor. The original ram is considerably sleeker in form. However, the gold rams on that page are very nice. Mike (Momotaro) has a very similar trio, and in my opinion I think his gold rams are even nicer (especially finnage).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.