DHG Melting after adding more light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

DHG Melting after adding more light

Hey everyone!

I have been growing DHG in medium light in my 10 gallon high tech setup for about 2 months now. On Sunday I received a Finnex Ray II (which puts me in the high light range) and all of a sudden it has begun melting. At the same time I received an order of Rotala Indica, Baby Tears (normal type), and Bacopa Carolina. My new plants are doing excellent! The Baby tears is growing horizontally - which I am told is due to high lighting, the new growth on my Indica is pink, and my Bacopa is bouncing back from a submerged transition and is sending new growth (you can see all of this in the first picture). Also, my Ludwigia Glandulosa is growing in super pink. The only thing is my DHG is MELTINGGGG, yet at the same time it's pearling? Has anyone experienced this before or know whether or not my DHG will bounce back? Is it just adapting to the light? Or did I nuke it...

There's little to no algae in this tank - only some green spot that just started to show up (water change day is tomorrow and I'll scrape it).

Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Dragonfish88
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

is your DHG responsible for the pearling or the other plants? i find it hard to believe a plant can pearl and melt at the same time. how long have you had the finnex light? could it be a "light shock"?
Dragonfish88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Did you cut the DHG at the same time as introducing new plants.
Nikon Pimp #82
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish88 View Post
is your DHG responsible for the pearling or the other plants? i find it hard to believe a plant can pearl and melt at the same time. how long have you had the finnex light? could it be a "light shock"?
Yes it's responsible for the pearling. Only parts of the DHG are browning, other parts seem to be doing well and are pearling fairly nicely. I've had the light for a week and I was wondering if this is a typical case of shock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
Did you cut the DHG at the same time as introducing new plants.
No - I did not trim my DHG. It was relatively short when I introduced the new plants so I just kept it as is.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I don’t know if this is the case here but plants develop different leaf structures according to the amount of light that they receive. If you buy a plant from a greenhouse you can’t just put it in the sun, you need to let it acclimatize.
If the eleocharis is dying back a bit but also thriving it is most likely adapting.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I donít know if this is the case here but plants develop different leaf structures according to the amount of light that they receive. If you buy a plant from a greenhouse you canít just put it in the sun, you need to let it acclimatize.
If the eleocharis is dying back a bit but also thriving it is most likely adapting.
If it is indeed adapting (dying and thriving) will it bounce back? It's melting pretty hard.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
Carlc1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like it needs a good trimming.

Carl
Carlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I am not sure I know for sure but I would think so yes. I grow this plant in a dirted tank and it does well if it gets enough light. Transitioning it from one place to another often leads to a short die back period.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

I gave it a good trim last night and we'll see what happens. I left for the weekend and came back to BB algae growing on some of it (BB was taking over my bacopa as well). Looks like too much light. I shaded the bacopa with another plant after I removed the BB manually. Here goes nothing (CO2 is cranked up as well).
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Yankee
Planted Tank Obsessed

Turns out my inline diffuser was clogged. I work 9-5 and workout from 5:30 - 6:30; my CO2 is only on from 10-6 pm so by the time I get home my lights are on but my CO2 isn't. Well, today was my off day and I came home during my CO2 period and my bubble counter was going at 2 bps and there were little to no micro bubbles coming out of my outflow. I'm sick of this GLA inline diffuser, I have cleaned it every other week and it's a pain. I instantly switched to my nano disc diffuser and cranked the CO2 up from 5:15 - 6pm and instantly all of my plants (with the exception of the DHG) began pearling like no other. Let's hope this counteracts the melting and stops all BB algae. So disappointed.