A few snakes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 07-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
caliherp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

A few snakes

I thought this forum needs a little attention. Sense I don't post to much in the other sections as I am still a learning about planted tanks, I figured I would post a few pictures here. I hope you guys enjoy.

caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sweet chondros!

Well - as sweet as chondros can be . . . What localities are they? Or are they just cool tree-snakes??

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
dtejeda.arias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Those are gorgeous tree pythons. Too bad they are illegal in MA and have such a snappy temper

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
dtejeda.arias is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
pantherspawn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't really see green tree yearlings that dark in color.. Most I've seen are more orange.. Beautiful snakes though.
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
pantherspawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
caliherp
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the complements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_S View Post
Sweet chondros!

Well - as sweet as chondros can be . . . What localities are they? Or are they just cool tree-snakes??

~Bruce
The first yellow ones are (Merauke/Biak) x (Merauke/Biak). The last red one is a pure Jayapura.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtejeda.arias View Post
Those are gorgeous tree pythons. Too bad they are illegal in MA and have such a snappy temper
People over exaggerate there tempers. Yes they can be highly aggressive, but I have found with all snakes if you approach them with confidence, are slow and deliberate with your actions it lessens your chance of getting nailed. Usually one out of there cage they are fine. Its just getting them out is the fun part. That's why I have removable perches.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherspawn View Post
Don't really see green tree yearlings that dark in color.. Most I've seen are more orange.. Beautiful snakes though.
Its actually barely 5 months old. The designer lines and some highland animals actually produce some damn near black neos.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
snowmonkey
Algae Grower

Lovely little Jaypur. we have one at the store thats just starting to eat consistently. Still grumpy and snippy no matter what you do though
snowmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliherp View Post
People over exaggerate there tempers. Yes they can be highly aggressive, but I have found with all snakes if you approach them with confidence, are slow and deliberate with your actions it lessens your chance of getting nailed. Usually one out of there cage they are fine. Its just getting them out is the fun part. That's why I have removable perches.

Very pretty I saw some in a reptile show but never saw them in any pet store.

Hard to keep?
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmonkey View Post
Lovely little Jaypur. we have one at the store thats just starting to eat consistently. Still grumpy and snippy no matter what you do though
Thank you for the comment. What temp are you guys keeping it at? Is there enough cover for it to feel safe? Often they will get aggressive if they don't feel secure in there enclosure.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Very pretty I saw some in a reptile show but never saw them in any pet store.

Hard to keep?

Thank you. They are not hard to keep. They just require specific heat and humidity ranges. If you give them less then ideal conditions they deteriorate quick. More so then other reptiles.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
snowmonkey
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliherp View Post
Thank you for the comment. What temp are you guys keeping it at? Is there enough cover for it to feel safe? Often they will get aggressive if they don't feel secure in there enclosure.
Im not sure of the temp,. but we have him in his own little plastic kritter keeper inside our fairly large Emerald Tree Boa cage. basically just made a miniature verson of the ETB enclosure inside the little keeper.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Im not sure of the temp,. but we have him in his own little plastic kritter keeper inside our fairly large Emerald Tree Boa cage. basically just made a miniature verson of the ETB enclosure inside the little keeper.
That's a huge problem. The gtp is not getting the proper tempeture gradient it needs. Snakes can sense when other snakes are around. Im not surprised that the snake is acting aggressive.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
snowmonkey
Algae Grower

This seems to work the best for us at the store, weve had difficulties keeping them healthy when we kept them in small glass terrariums that are exposed to all the stresses involved with kids and people walking past all day long.

What would you suggest? keeping in mind we arent exactly a megachain store with unlimited resources towards housing.

EDIT: i texted the person working just now and they took a temp on the far side to be 79 and the side closest the heat source to be 83
Old 10-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
This seems to work the best for us at the store, weve had difficulties keeping them healthy when we kept them in small glass terrariums that are exposed to all the stresses involved with kids and people walking past all day long.

What would you suggest? keeping in mind we arent exactly a megachain store with unlimited resources towards housing.

EDIT: i texted the person working just now and they took a temp on the far side to be 79 and the side closest the heat source to be 83
I keep mine in plastic shoebox sized tubs. I use radiant heat panels with a thermostat. I cover three sides with black contact paper for them to feel more secure.

83 is to cold for a basking temp. It needs to be closer to 87. I have a feeling if you guys correct these husbandry issues the snake will do alot better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.