First Father & Kids Tank - 20 High - 5/23/14 update! Ich Death recovery! - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #166
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

The female Ram in a stare down with one of the smaller Amano. "Seriously, I'm wondering if I can eat this thing. Can I eat this thing?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #167
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Blyxa is the top grower in this tank. Started out with three, and they already split out to 9 in a few weeks. Under low-med light conditions, they don't grow up, they grow out. You can tell they need splitting when they get super bushy. I used to uproot the whole thing, split, then replant, but that just killed the existing root structure. Now I just kinda poke a finger in there and wriggle them apart and push one over to an empty spot in the substrate, then smooth over the gravel - done. Only a few more foreground spots now, so here comes a complete Blyxa carpet soon!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #168
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

It looks nice!
Dina-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #169
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! The kids are at camp so they call for "fish updates" every day - what are mom and dad, chopped liver? They can't wait to come home and see the Amanos!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #170
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can understand that... They are cute little shrimps and fun to watch
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #171
Dina-Angel
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahn View Post
The female Ram in a stare down with one of the smaller Amano. "Seriously, I'm wondering if I can eat this thing. Can I eat this thing?"

Is that plant the Blyxa?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #172
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes it is!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #173
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well no news is good news, all fauna still alive from last update, was time for the weekly water change, all params were fine but the nitrates rose a bit from 5 to 8ppm so why not change the water. TDS was at 186, anything under 200 is fine here but again, why wait.

While I was at it, I trimmed away some of the bigger amazon leaves to let some light in on the left side, the left forest had stunted growth due to the bigger leaves blocking light. It looks much brighter now, but nothing to hide the equipment anymore for a bit, hah.

Finally, there's one big quartz geode slice that I've held on it since my very first aquarium, a betta tank. it used to have blue dye but that faded and leeched out decades ago. Just in case, I boiled it and algae dipped it before putting it in the tank - it's a more subtle look than the petrified wood so i put it in the far back right background to create a sense of space. Just a way to reintroduce some good karma into it, since that first tank was a disaster since I didn't know what I was doing and I always felt bad about it. Unlike this tank, which is a hit, the kids love it!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #174
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Uh oh, the female Ram is getting harassed. She was cowering in the corner hiding under what remains of the floating plants- I was worried she was reacting to the CO2 at first and fooled with the gas (which fluctuated it and got an algae outbreak ugh) but then she totally disappeared- I found her hiding IN the pagoda near the substrate level! I thought she might have squeezed in there in fear and was trapped inside, but no- I lifted the pagoda and she didn't want to move, I shushed her out and put the pagoda back, and she zipped right back in there. I think she likes that's she's small enough to get in there but the two male Rams aren't.

To make it a bit more comfortable for her, I set a flat stone in there. While I was doing that one of the males bumped her three times, ugh. Don't know if she will come out for feedings in there, sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #175
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Two new floaters - frogbit and dwarf water lettuce. And a very red emersed alternanthera reineckii roseafolia which will get even redder once submerged and transitioned. So the left side looks a little low right now but it'll bush out eventually!

And wow the Amano Shrimp flew up on those new floaters like mad, they really like those long roots. Even the Rams were getting in on the action:

Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #176
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, just one day and look how much the Rosefolia straightened up! It's ALIVE!

But this morning, the small female Ram wasn't, rats. It was harassed to death for sure, losing color and hiding over a week, and then stopped eating, and that was it. The two remaining males are toe to toe so no hiding for them, and they are colored up a lot for dominance. Crazy!

Last edited by Jahn; 07-28-2013 at 11:43 PM.. Reason: Ram
Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #177
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The alternanthera reineckii is transitioning from emersed to submersed, so the rich red is turning into pink, and the old leaves are dropping off. i wonder what the submersed look will be like eventually?

So the other male ram also died of harassment, so just one very happy male left. in the beginning it was the harassed one, but it got bigger and thus able to overpower the other one. nice colors on it and all, but i feel bad for the other two rams - no more rams, going to solo this ram. fortunately unlike a Betta, this ram seems to leave all other fauna alone - except amano shrimp. i think 2-3 are still alive, but the rest got eaten!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #178
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BTW, take a look at that plant in the middle since the last pic. It exploded in growth! Maybe people were right, that it's a variation of amazon sword? My known amazon sword is in the back left, but this one is still skinnier in the leaf even with all that growth.

And the blyxa? out of CONTROL!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #179
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lucky you on the blyxa, it looks great. I can't get mine to grow near as fast. Tank looks nice, and congrats on having children that care about fish
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #180
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just got back from a few days vacation and the kids ran to the tank for a fish count- all alive thanks to the auto feeder! Here is the rundown:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.