The Planted Tank Forum banner

Vin's 10 gallon riparium summer project!

7K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Vin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

This is my first journal on these forums. I got a free 10 gallon not very long ago, obviously this lead to a new project.

Gear: 10 gallon tank 20 X 10 X 12
50 W Jager heater
Fluval U1 undewater filtre.

Lighting: Two 23W fluo compact daylight bulbs. Totally ripped off this build for lights : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95561
Except I place mine a couple of inches higher. They are about 18 inches above the water.

Right now I am waiting on some riparium gear in the mail so I set up the aquarium with some trimmings from my other tank and filled it completly.

I am using construction sand as the substrate. Along with a couple of river stones.

Plants:
Right now got some Hygrophilia trimmings floating around.
Some frogbit
Bacopa monnieri floating around waiting for planters.
Some trimmings of hydroclyte planted also.
I have a pot of Echinodorus cordifolius 'Tropica Marble Queen' waiting for a planter also.
I wanna grow the bacopa emersed and probly add some ruellia bluebells or whatever I can get my hands on.

Stocking (future)
A single betta probably. There is a local breeder in Montreal that has some high quality bettas. I am gonna check with him if he has some low grade ones for sale also :)

Pictures:

Some gear:

Rocks and branches from local river:

Setting up the aquarium at 1 am on a week day :

Couple of pictures of how it looks today:

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Update:

FTS:

Got my hands on some dwarf Cyperus in medium shape. Placed it in a plastic container with water submerging half of its pot. Hope that will keep it alive:

Here is some Basil I got that I am gonna try in there also:

Its in pitifull shape as the plants they sell at the grocery stores are basically pots with a million baby stems. Hopefully it will work :)

Also my roommate got this weird plant, looks like X-mas moss but emerged??. Can anyone identify this plant ?:

Also picked up a peace lily:

Waayyyyy too big for a 10g riparium. But I picked it up as a gift for someone. I still have to replant it in a proper pot... Sooo I was thinking maybe I could steal a little plant of it? I have NO clue how to divide this plant though. Any advice?

My previous questions still need answers also :

You guys thinkg a rim will work in this set up ?

How do I prepare the potted plant for the riparium, just wash out of the soil and plant in a planter? Should I trim the roots at all?

Can anyone Identify that mystery plant? And will it work in a riparium ? (I'll probly try it unless i get a definite NO as an answer)

And finally, How to divide a peace lily?

Thanks everyone!

#4 ·
You guys thinkg a rim will work in this set up ?
The way the setup is right now should work perfectly fine, maybe even better since this will allow for a majority of the plants to grow up.

How do I prepare the potted plant for the riparium, just wash out of the soil and plant in a planter? Should I trim the roots at all?
Assuming you have a planter for a riparium ready, I would rinse the soil off the roots. Make sure you're not pulling the roots of as to not damage the leaves or stem of the plant. Then, I'd get a pair of shears and trim down the roots. Place a bit of gravel/hydroton on the bottom, place the plant in, then fill the rest.

How to divide a peace lily?
Dividing peace lily is kinda tricky. I'd recommend getting a smaller plant locally and using that. You'd pretty much have to divide it by separating the plant but there may not be a small enough plant for use.

#13 ·
Hi everyone,

Got my gear in the mail.

Got back from vacation.

So i finnaly set this guy up as a riparium.

Bad FTS cause of lighting

From above:

Now in the middle it doesn't show but there are some Bacopa stems on a trellis raft. I hope they dense up.

I put some root tabs in all planters.

Here is the king of the castle:

I don't like the disposition of the plants. Probly too much cyperus but when I took it out of the planting media I had sooo much I did not want to throw any away. I think I'll wait to see if everything goes well first. Wait till the bacopa grows more. Maybe replace teh cyperus behind the bacopa with something else?

I dunno.

Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

#14 ·
Sooo my emmerged stem plants are looking like this :

Funny thing is some of the stems of Hydroclyte were emmerged in myn other aquarium and they kinda just melted anyways.

Is this normal ? Just a transition ? I thouhgt those two plants would grow emmerged without a cover for added humidity. I hope I wasnt mistaken.

Any advice is appreciated.

FTS lights off in the morning:

#15 ·
#17 ·
Hi everyone,

I would really like some advice on with these two plants:

They do not seem to be doing very well. First off the Hydroclyte:

Is this still transition to emmerged?... or is it just dying?

And the cyperus seems to be drying or burning or drowning ?

This is how they are set up: There is root tab in there and I'm currently not adding anything else to the water.

I would really like some advice.

Thanks in advance.

#25 ·
Haha love the betta's name... and why he is named so. Stunning boy as well!

Glad to see your plants are doing well!! They are looking great too, crazy roots on some of them!
This is my time stumbling into this journal, but even if I had seen it sooner I wouldn't have been much help. Still a newb to this whole planted tank concept myself. I have a few I can grow ok so far, but don't know a whole lot about how to fix them,... yet.

Overall completely loving this setup!

Are you planning on adding any submerged plants? Or maybe some driftwood perhaps? The rocks are great looking!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.