Unhappy with my current lighting...what should I switch to? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,569
Default

Ray 2 only comes in two flavors now:

Dual 7000K
10K/Actinic

The planted tank one is the dual 7000K
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
SouthernCichlids's Avatar
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsen27 View Post
You have it mounted with the legs on the tank or suspended? If suspended then how high? Does it do well with red plants and keeping them nice and red?
I bought the tank rests from BML and use those. I also have a glass top on there (crazy rainbowfish).
I have a few stems of reineckii 'roseafolia' in the back of the tank that are very red, I thought they were red when they came in but the new leaves continue to get even more red the closer they get to the light!

You really won't find a better light for the price
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ach1Ll3sH33L's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Socal
Posts: 338
Default

Not a huge fan of the finnex lights, they seem washed out, and there par numbers are very high at the top of the water column, and diminish very quickly(this is due to using many small led's), where as a t5, lighting is much more progressive. If your going to do led, i think the best unit at a lower price point right now is the current usa satellite + series, its also less lighting and easier to manage the tank as such.
__________________
Ach1Ll3sH33L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #19
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: AZ
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Not a huge fan of the finnex lights, they seem washed out, and there par numbers are very high at the top of the water column, and diminish very quickly(this is due to using many small led's), where as a t5, lighting is much more progressive. If your going to do led, i think the best unit at a lower price point right now is the current usa satellite + series, its also less lighting and easier to manage the tank as such.
I pulled the trigger on a finnex deal, and also ordered a PAR meter.

I am tired of guessing where I am at for PAR.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
micheljq's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester946 View Post
I pulled the trigger on a finnex deal, and also ordered a PAR meter.

I am tired of guessing where I am at for PAR.
Where did you order it and how much it cost? That must be costly?

Michel.
__________________
Newbie with plants, Quebec.
micheljq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
micheljq
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
micheljq's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quebec
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Not a huge fan of the finnex lights, they seem washed out, and there par numbers are very high at the top of the water column, and diminish very quickly(this is due to using many small led's), where as a t5, lighting is much more progressive. If your going to do led, i think the best unit at a lower price point right now is the current usa satellite + series, its also less lighting and easier to manage the tank as such.
Satellite + sends even less PAR that finnex and if what you say about leds is true, then they will diminish even quickier no?
__________________
Newbie with plants, Quebec.
micheljq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Satellite + sends even less PAR that finnex and if what you say about leds is true, then they will diminish even quickier no?
At 24", par on the Sat + is at 58% of what it is at 12" (21 @ 24" vs 36 @ 12")
At 24", par on the Ray 2 is at 41% of what it is at 12" (36 @ 24" vs 87 @ 12")

As you see, the Ray 2 drops off in PAR faster than the Sat + does. However, the Ray 2 still has a lot more PAR at any level. For me, the Sat + would not be enough PAR for my plants. I'd need 2 of them, and that's a pretty big price difference.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ach1Ll3sH33L's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Socal
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
At 24", par on the Sat + is at 58% of what it is at 12" (21 @ 24" vs 36 @ 12")
At 24", par on the Ray 2 is at 41% of what it is at 12" (36 @ 24" vs 87 @ 12")

As you see, the Ray 2 drops off in PAR faster than the Sat + does. However, the Ray 2 still has a lot more PAR at any level. For me, the Sat + would not be enough PAR for my plants. I'd need 2 of them, and that's a pretty big price difference.
Yes the Sat+ is less light, though it can grow 90% of the plants in the hobby without a problem.

The different in the lights is the amount of led's used to achieve the rated par. The finnex uses A LOT of small led's across a board, which gives off a lot of light directly under the fixture, and diminishes very quickly. I took my own par readings of the finnex lights, and they're par claims about light at 15-18" were correct, but my graph was much different than advertised on how intense the light actually got, so the manufacterur claims i believe are skewed quite a bit. The current usa fixture, marineland, build my led, etc, all use fewer leds, but more powerful leds, more power means the par will not diminish as quickly, and par is much more progressive, similar to t5's dropoff.
__________________
Ach1Ll3sH33L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #24
Lowe
Finnex
 
Lowe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Yes the Sat+ is less light, though it can grow 90% of the plants in the hobby without a problem.

The different in the lights is the amount of led's used to achieve the rated par. The finnex uses A LOT of small led's across a board, which gives off a lot of light directly under the fixture, and diminishes very quickly. I took my own par readings of the finnex lights, and they're par claims about light at 15-18" were correct, but my graph was much different than advertised on how intense the light actually got, so the manufacterur claims i believe are skewed quite a bit. The current usa fixture, marineland, build my led, etc, all use fewer leds, but more powerful leds, more power means the par will not diminish as quickly, and par is much more progressive, similar to t5's dropoff.
Can you kindly explain what you mean when you claim "my graph was much different than advertised on how intense the light actually got". Does that mean our noted PAR results are significantly more than what has been advertised according to what you have recorded? If so, and our numbers are indeed off, I will need to get our manufacturer to get updated readings for all of us.
__________________

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Ach1Ll3sH33L's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Socal
Posts: 338
Default

sure, on a 24" long light (ray 2 dual 7,5k) sitting right on top of a 60p.
Right below water surface 485 par
middle of tank 117 par
substrate 70 par

now its possible my clubs par meter is wrong, but everything else i tested with it was consistently accurate. These results were taken with the apogee par meter. I will be interested to see what the o.p's readings are. Im not stating the finnex light is poor, it works very well for many, i just wasn't a big fan of the par graph, and decided on something a little more progressive. I wouldn't rely on your manufactures provided par data, with how many lights you guys probably sell Lowe, im surprised you don't pick up your own meter.
__________________
Ach1Ll3sH33L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #26
Lowe
Finnex
 
Lowe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 643
Default

Thanks for the info.

We take our manufacturer's submitted data and our Apogee readings and average them. Both readings are near identical but we find it fair to take the averages. I'm assuming you are recording higher PAR because your readings are being recorded through water?

And Jester, sorry for the threadjack ...if you have any questions about the Finnex fixture, please let me know. Finnex, BML, Current, and others... it's a great time to be an end user with all these strong lighting choices these great companies have available now.
__________________

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012