GDA algae solution - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Can I get one for a mini-m. I have a really bad outbreak of GDA and BGA! (From a failed dry-start)
Clean the snot out of the tank 1st, then EM or blackout the tank for the BGA, then after a good sized water change, then add say 2 relatively small ones.

Nano's are tough, the water level changes cause CO2 issues and changes in the degassing rates. I no longer keep them for that reason, but I like them very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Just to confirm, bushy nose or other plecos dont touch green spot algae and blue green right?

Not to mention bushy/bristle nose pleco is $10 a piece here. That might be cheap for you, but not for me

EDIT: Maybe I need some clearing btw the different algae. On my glass what happens is that green spot algae covers it and right after bga covers that algae.
Not much will get rid of that other than good general conditions, they do seem to reduce the likelihood. Lower light and non CO2 etc, rarely have GSA issues.

I do not mind once a month or two to clean the glass, but GSA on leaves is a no no. Good plant growth takes care of that.

BGA is symptomatic of other plant growth issues.
You can get them cheap on line.

Amano shrimp run 2-4$ each also, but most do not balk at the cost there.
Amano's will clean the plants and other surfaces well, the BN will clean the smooth surfaces well.

Together, that's a pretty good algae crew. Yes, they do grow and become larger, but this takes some time.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Tom

does it matter if bushy nose pleco will eat GDA or ignore it depending on their age???
i cleaned my entire glass with Excel and sprayed some on rocks, it seems to clean the GDA off really well, there is some GDA on the rocks and plants, i haven't seen Bushy nose working much on plants or rocks, they seems to be ignoring them, always working on glass. they seems more active when lights are off.

i also have done an experiment for 2 days, i took 2 glass, one with tank water and one with 100% RO water, i left them outside in full sunlight all day for 2 days straight. but i did not witness any GDA or other algae in both glass. we have to remember that sunlight is many many times powerful and intense than our tank lights. this suggest strong light isn't the cause of GDA, it comes from somewhere else. i have also confirmed in my recent thread that having 0ppm of PO4 and GDA still flourish. MCI was wrong on This finding, including Ca/Mg ratio. the only thing i can confirm is adding extra Mg is beneficial to prevent GDA. am not saying MCI doesn't work, but i can only confirm things i can test. i would also like to repeat these test to be 100% sure because test kit could be wrong, plus i did not get any GSA, which for sure can confirm this. i will give another chance to MCI.

Last edited by happi; 06-18-2013 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: NA
happi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
You can breed them. The client's tank was clean again even at the high high light values.

Seems that other plecos might do the job well also if you have enough of them.
Sturisoma, horde of otto's perhaps, Gold nuggets, but for the bang for the $, the Bushy nose seem pretty good.
I re read the post.

Last edited by JL15219; 06-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Found answer.
JL15219 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
oliverpool
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is starlight bristlenose pleco also similar to the bushy nose pleco you are referring to?

I have two since the start of my 20g tank and its 3 months now. They do not seem to touch the dust algae on my glass. Then again the dust algae just started coming up in the past 3-4 weeks. Maybe they do not know its food? ��
oliverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

No, just the plain old common bushy nose plecos, smaller, 1-2" say 5-6 per 20 Gallon of tank. Never seen such good surface cleaning.

They cannot clean fine needle plants etc, but fairly narrow leaves seem pretty easily cleaner, rough wood etc.

Amano shrimp will clean the rest of various surfaces.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
Tom

does it matter if bushy nose pleco will eat GDA or ignore it depending on their age???
i cleaned my entire glass with Excel and sprayed some on rocks, it seems to clean the GDA off really well, there is some GDA on the rocks and plants, i haven't seen Bushy nose working much on plants or rocks, they seems to be ignoring them, always working on glass. they seems more active when lights are off.

i also have done an experiment for 2 days, i took 2 glass, one with tank water and one with 100% RO water, i left them outside in full sunlight all day for 2 days straight. but i did not witness any GDA or other algae in both glass. we have to remember that sunlight is many many times powerful and intense than our tank lights. this suggest strong light isn't the cause of GDA, it comes from somewhere else. i have also confirmed in my recent thread that having 0ppm of PO4 and GDA still flourish. MCI was wrong on This finding, including Ca/Mg ratio. the only thing i can confirm is adding extra Mg is beneficial to prevent GDA. am not saying MCI doesn't work, but i can only confirm things i can test. i would also like to repeat these test to be 100% sure because test kit could be wrong, plus i did not get any GSA, which for sure can confirm this. i will give another chance to MCI.

Yes, much like those lazy SAE's ignore the BBA and eat all your discus' food or fish food, then sit and bully everyone once the food is fed.

Well, not quite as bad, but.........

Gold nuggets are less prone to this as are Sturisoma. Otto's, well, they have issues. Maybe some of the Otto subfamily might hold promise. I've had a few.

Yes, BNP do most of the work at night. They like the glass and smooth surfaces. If the GDA is after the plants and rocks a lot, something else is up.
You have it pretty bad.

The glass issues are typically the hardest issues for most folks with GDA, if it's hitting the rocks and plants also....

I agree with you, stronger light is not the issue, you can slow the GDA by reducing light lower.......some go down to 30 umols etc, but this is not good for plants either, they grow slow or look bad then for many stem species.

Sunlight has a lot of UV and it's much much more intense, say 20X what the strongest aquarium lighting for plants might be, if you took a plant and exposed them to that much light, it'll fry many plant species also.

I'd hoped that the low PO4 would do something to GDA, but that is consistent with the hobbyists not being able to limit algae with PO4 limitation, thus goes back to my old hypothesis with Paul Sears and PMDD: you limit the plant growth with low PO4, thereby applying Liebig's law: PO4 is now a stronger limiting factor than CO2.

Mg is commonly limiting in low GH/KH tap waters, so larding a bit more into the CMS+B trace mix is helpful and might explain some positive benefits to dosing the Traces daily since it has Mg in there(not much). Mg limitation is very plant responsive, within a day or less you'll see noted improvements.

I've gone to about 20-25 ppm and then up to 50 ppm or so with Mg.
I think anywhere between say 2-20 ppm is fine.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #23
rwong2k
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to rwong2k Send a message via MSN to rwong2k

i'm currently running a high light, high co2 tank and the only algae I have is the GDA on my glass, but after adding a few BN plecos from my discus tank, all the GDA is gone, so works pretty nicely
rwong2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #24
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)

What kind of moss is on the driftwood in the bottom right corner?
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwong2k View Post
i'm currently running a high light, high co2 tank and the only algae I have is the GDA on my glass, but after adding a few BN plecos from my discus tank, all the GDA is gone, so works pretty nicely

next thing to try is to remove the BN and see if GDA comes back
Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
next thing to try is to remove the BN and see if GDA comes back
+1.

I removed a few(5 of about 15) from the 70 Gallon Buce tank, but I'm adding CO2 now.

I have another tank with new ADA AS that got algae bad, and the 5 have fixed the glass algae in about 3 days from you cannot see through it, to nice and clean and clear. But..this was a very thick coat of diatoms(Melosira to be specific), a brown furry filamentous species that will also form spots on the glass and is fairly hard to wipe off actually.

Gets on the gravel and rocks, you've seen it in streams and lakes likely.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #27
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a high tech 30cm cube (7 gallon) tank that has been plagued with GDA for months. I'd clean the glass every week during my water changes. I've tried tweeking the ferts, co2, light duration, and h2o2/excel dosing endlessly to no avail. The algae would start to redeposit on the glass in 24-48 hours. I was about to suck it up and get a UV unit to stick in the tank as a last ditch effort.

I was a bit skeptical after reading this thread months ago. I didn't think I could keep a bn in a nano tank this small. During my visit to my LFS I saw they had gotten batch of juvenile BN pleco's in from a local breeder. They we a little over an inch. I took a chance and bought one thinking if it didn't work out in the 7g I had a 29g tank as backup.

To my surprise this single BN cleaned the all the GDA off the glass in a day. So far it's a week later and my glass is still clear on all sides! This is even after I reduced my co2 levels to acclimate the pleco.

I will never doubt Tom Barr again.