GREEN DUST ALGAE, i think i found the cure - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
JoraaĐ
TÝrŰd ─▀ˇűt ╦σ R╔├ÝrŰ

PTrader: (340/100%)

Good Read but I dont agree with this statement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
same old stuff again, increase the co2 and keep on increasing it, kill some fish
Lot of folks claimed to kill fish,shrimps, snails once they pump/tweak more co2...YES they did/do....however... I dont know if this been mentioned somewhere or not...higher co2 level in tank, lower o2 level..Right??

This is the problem..why not increase O2 level as well to compete with co2 ???

Raise your outflow, spraybar a bit toward the surface, problem solved~~And dont worry co2 wont escape from your tank that fast as we think it does.

I pump a lot of co2 (20-25 BPS, if you can count) in my tanks...till date no death cause of co2..and there is no 7 up/alka seltzer looks.
JoraaĐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoraaĐ View Post
Good Read but I dont agree with this statement..

Lot of folks claimed to kill fish,shrimps, snails once they pump/tweak more co2...YES they did/do....however... I dont know if this been mentioned somewhere or not...higher co2 level in tank, lower o2 level..Right??

This is the problem..why not increase O2 level as well to compete with co2 ???

Raise your outflow, spraybar a bit toward the surface, problem solved~~And dont worry co2 wont escape from your tank that fast as we think it does.

I pump a lot of co2 (20-25 BPS, if you can count) in my tanks...till date no death cause of co2..and there is no 7 up/alka seltzer looks.
joraan this was a existing problem when i first started the planted tank, but now all my tanks have power head pointing upward to create a strong surface water movement, i also have high Co2 and this is set to point where fish can handle it, but some fish are more sensitive than others.

Tom was trying to apply it to plant growth, so i was trying to answer that, i am fully aware of how to fix the issue the fish will have, but he is talking about plants and i have already mentioned that increasing the co2 actually make things worse in 0 KH water, i don't think i need to explain it any further, if you think bacteria plays an important role in up taking the NO3 then you will understand me. More co2 increase the growth of GDA while plants weren't growing much while dosing EI under very acidic water, i hope this make since.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #33
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

my water is about 5.3 with co2 on.. rcs, amano, otos, clown pleco, rainbowfish, striata loaches, angelfish all seem to survive just fine. my ph drop is from 6.8 to 5.3 with co2 on
plant growth diminishes by about 5x and green dust algae appears in my tank if my co2 is just slightly off. gda generally makes itself well known after about three days of of co2 being sub par
its not always the answer, so don' take it as suc. more just an observation i have for my tank
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #34
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
my water is about 5.3 with co2 on.. rcs, amano, otos, clown pleco, rainbowfish, striata loaches, angelfish all seem to survive just fine. my ph drop is from 6.8 to 5.3 with co2 on
plant growth diminishes by about 5x and green dust algae appears in my tank if my co2 is just slightly off. gda generally makes itself well known after about three days of of co2 being sub par
its not always the answer, so don' take it as suc. more just an observation i have for my tank
i never said fish or shrimps will have problem with low PH, i have only said when dosing EI in acidic water, uptake of no3 wasn't great and adding more CO2 only killed fish and done nothing to algae or plants. since EI believe in dosing tons of nutrients and adding tons of co2, this isn't always a solution for everyone.

Based on my research, algae can grow fastest while using Urea or NH4, this doesn't mean algae doesn't use NO3, algae use no3 at slower rate but you also get slow plant growth compare to NH4 and Urea. so in the end they can all cause algae, but no plant growth = Algae. Urea and NH4 can be consumed faster than NO3 and now you cannot disagree with me on this, if plant grow fast then algae have no chance, right? i have seen this written by everyone including Tom Barr, if plant doesn't grow then we get Algae, now you cannot argue with this theory.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #35
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
after finishing my GDA test, i have started the new Test on NH4, i never dosed NH4 from Ammonium Nitrate, before i was only using Urea. i have found some interesting results, i will post them soon. so far NH4 is Prone to GDA as well, i will explain why NH4 can cause Algae and why it does not cause algae, one extra small change in the solution makes it so complex that NH4 cannot be used by Algae, only plant can use it.

sense all i got was negative posts toward my research, i will stop the test here, plus there was no interest from anyone, all i got from the posts was increase co2, start dosing EI again, coming to conclusion without even testing my theory. if anyone is interested in this topic they can PM me.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
i never said fish or shrimps will have problem with low PH, i have only said when dosing EI in acidic water, uptake of no3 wasn't great and adding more CO2 only killed fish and done nothing to algae or plants. since EI believe in dosing tons of nutrients and adding tons of co2, this isn't always a solution for everyone.

Based on my research, algae can grow fastest while using Urea or NH4, this doesn't mean algae doesn't use NO3, algae use no3 at slower rate but you also get slow plant growth compare to NH4 and Urea. so in the end they can all cause algae, but no plant growth = Algae. Urea and NH4 can be consumed faster than NO3 and now you cannot disagree with me on this, if plant grow fast then algae have no chance, right? i have seen this written by everyone including Tom Barr, if plant doesn't grow then we get Algae, now you cannot argue with this theory.

I don't agree with low nutrient uptake of no3 in acidic water.. my plants seem to uptake it fine.. this could be specific to certain plants though, i do have a lot of fast growers..
i was also trying to reference ph as a measuemeant of co2 levels which i failed to express. my carbon levels are kept pretty darn high

I Do agree plants uptake nh4 maybe not faster but easier, and with less enery usage than nitrates. I think that would be the best way to say it. they will only uptake a nitrogen source as fast as it is needed. but the energy required to utlilize it is far less thus requiring less of other nutrients such as po4, and carbon

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 07-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: co2 ADDON
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
RainSong
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I am following this thread with a lot of interest. I have low GH/KH water, use EI, and am currently suffering GDA.

As an alternative to changing the dosing, would it make sense to boost the GH/KH (GH booster, baking soda)?
RainSong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #38
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainSong View Post
I am following this thread with a lot of interest. I have low GH/KH water, use EI, and am currently suffering GDA.

As an alternative to changing the dosing, would it make sense to boost the GH/KH (GH booster, baking soda)?
i was not going to go much further but you have shown some interest, increasing the KH will sure make the things better, i suggest increasing it by 1-2. there is a reason ADA use very soft water and add potassium carbonate everyday.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainSong View Post

+1 but I have hard water with high GH/KH.....dont know what to do.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 AM   #40
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL15219 View Post
+1 but I have hard water with high GH/KH.....dont know what to do.
in case of hard water, improve the CO2.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
JL15219
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Ahh okay then will try to crank up the co2 a little bit then.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #42
RainSong
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
i was not going to go much further but you have shown some interest, increasing the KH will sure make the things better, i suggest increasing it by 1-2. there is a reason ADA use very soft water and add potassium carbonate everyday.
That seems to have worked for me! I bumped up the GH (using booster) and KH (using baking soda) and cleaned the glass during the wc. I now have my first full week without GDA!

Thanks!
RainSong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #43
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Quote:
Hehe, now you sound like me.

I had GDA with both soft tap, and Hard KH's. 11 and then 17 degrees.

KH here in Sacramento is a mere 18-20 ppm, pretty soft, soft as anyone ADA or other tanks. I do not add CO3's. It'll go up to about 35-39 ppm during some parts of the fall, otherwise, it's VERY soft.

I dose 30 ppm a week of NO3 as KNO3, 10 ppm or so of the PO4, lots of traces and about 1 table spoon per 60 Gal of tank of GH booster, but my GH is about 2 degrees in the tap.

Without a control for a test, eg a tank that is algae free, you cannot test dosing or nutrients independent of other factors for algae causes/cures really. If you are convinced of something, you then need to go back and induce the GDA and then apply the treatments you think will best logically support your hypothesis.

I cannot with GDA, because I have trouble inducing it. I've managed a few times, but.........So all I can really do is falsify. This is much more helpful than many assume(falsification).

If you can grow and induce GDA easily, and consistently, then you can master the growth of the alga. Then you can do test upon it. This is the key to understanding algae.

Same with plants, if you can grow them really well, then you can understand their growth really well. If you cannot grow one or either, well........hard to say. No way around this issue.

GDA is present in hard and soft KH waters. I think there is some truth to it being more common and nagging issue in low KH tap waters, but clearly, my tanks fall into the very soft grouping and I have no issues with it.

But.......this might help a few folks by adding more KH if they are in the low KH range. ADA adds KH, but not much.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #44
happi
Planted Tank Guru

i apologize about one thing which no one knew or was confused about, i was also confuse about this, i came to find out bacteria has nothing to do with plant taking up Nitrate. someone told me that it does and i used this info till now, but this is not the truth. none of the members here pointed it out, but at the APC they pointed it out.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-cure-gda.html

i have been doing more testing on GDA and i will able to bring it back again, but this time even with low NO3 levels, i will explain why it happen in my next post, wait for the update. now dont think NO3 wasn't the reason for the GDA, it still is.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #45
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

My only experience with GDA was in completely different conditions than you...high pH/KH and low NO3.