Bloomsburg area?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Bloomsburg area?

Is there anyone here near(ish) to Bloomsburg?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm in the Mount Carmel/Shamokin area
ROYWS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Went to college in lock haven roughly about an hour away from there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
le0p
Planted Member

I'm in the Wilkes-Barre area, actually worked in Bloomsburg for a few months earlier this year when I started a new job.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #5
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
I'm in the Wilkes-Barre area, actually worked in Bloomsburg for a few months earlier this year when I started a new job.

Are there any good shops in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton/Hazelton area? I do get up that way from time to time
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
le0p
Planted Member

The only shop I go to is Finsanity but mainly for my reef. It's a nice little shop and the owner is great, I haven't checked out the freshwater selection recently but I know he's got a lot of cichlids and he's starting to carry more and more planted tank stuff. It's a great place to pick up a used tank as well, as he usually has a nice selection in stock and good prices.

I'm just starting a planted tank again after some time off, I'll try and get there this weekend and see how the freshwater stuff looks.

If you're in the area, check it out, the owner is a great guy and will bend over backwards to help you out or get what you need.

edit: This place is in Wilkes-Barre, btw.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYWS3 View Post
Are there any good shops in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton/Hazelton area? I do get up that way from time to time
Back when Phyllis and Mike owned Cage'n'Tank in Hazleton, it was a spectacular shop. I got out of huge hobby and area for some time, and they had sold, rebought, and resold the business in that time. I stopped in after I picked back up. It wasn't the same, but it wasn't bad either. Picked up a couple good swords, RAOK'd many plantlets from them, and now member Rush3737 has one of the originals.

I don't know what the store is like now, but it's worth a shot.
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #8
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Back when Phyllis and Mike owned Cage'n'Tank in Hazleton, it was a spectacular shop. I got out of huge hobby and area for some time, and they had sold, rebought, and resold the business in that time. I stopped in after I picked back up. It wasn't the same, but it wasn't bad either. Picked up a couple good swords, RAOK'd many plantlets from them, and now member Rush3737 has one of the originals.

I don't know what the store is like now, but it's worth a shot.
I will the next time I'm passing through. I see in your avatar that you're in the Lehigh Valley now. Any good shops down in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area
Old 11-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #9
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I will the next time I'm passing through. I see in your avatar that you're in the Lehigh Valley now. Any good shops down in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area
In my experience, American Aquarium in Orefield is about as good as it gets in the Lehigh valley. Kind of like being (pun fully intended) a big fish in a little pond. Other than AA, it's either dumpy independents that make their money on dog food, or the big chains. Craig and Lee at AA both know their stuff, and I've personally witnessed them talking newbies out of expensive stuff, instead of making the kill on a sale. I respect that.

A little bit north, in Brodheadsville, is Villa's City of Angelfish. Pete's a good guy too, check out his website. He focuses on angels obviously, but has a decent selection of other fish. I'm proud to say I was his first customer in the brick and mortar shop.

All that being said, if someone can point out a shop I'm not aware of, I'm all ears.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #10
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
In my experience, American Aquarium in Orefield is about as good as it gets in the Lehigh valley. Kind of like being (pun fully intended) a big fish in a little pond. Other than AA, it's either dumpy independents that make their money on dog food, or the big chains. Craig and Lee at AA both know their stuff, and I've personally witnessed them talking newbies out of expensive stuff, instead of making the kill on a sale. I respect that.

A little bit north, in Brodheadsville, is Villa's City of Angelfish. Pete's a good guy too, check out his website. He focuses on angels obviously, but has a decent selection of other fish. I'm proud to say I was his first customer in the brick and mortar shop.

All that being said, if someone can point out a shop I'm not aware of, I'm all ears.
So I googled both of those sites and apparently American Aquarium is going out of buisness
Old 11-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
So I googled both of those sites and apparently American Aquarium is going out of buisness
Damn! I have to get there and say goodbye and thanks before they close.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
Mike Letourneau
Algae Grower

It's true, AA is going out of business. Nearly all of the good high end tech stuff is already gone. They are currently at a 50% storewide sale.

To add another location to your list of Lehigh Valley locations:

Something Fishy in Northampton is also a great location targeted to marine side of the hobby.

Affordable Pets in Northampton favors the freshwater part of the hobby and I'd consider them a mediocre level store catering to hardware and chemicals over livestock.

My favorite place discovered so far is a place in Lancaster called That Fish Place and makes American Aquariums look like a chump store in comparison. It's the Walmart of pet stores.
Mike Letourneau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Letourneau View Post
It's true, AA is going out of business. Nearly all of the good high end tech stuff is already gone. They are currently at a 50% storewide sale.

To add another location to your list of Lehigh Valley locations:

Something Fishy in Northampton is also a great location targeted to marine side of the hobby.

Affordable Pets in Northampton favors the freshwater part of the hobby and I'd consider them a mediocre level store catering to hardware and chemicals over livestock.

My favorite place discovered so far is a place in Lancaster called That Fish Place and makes American Aquariums look like a chump store in comparison. It's the Walmart of pet stores.

Didn't even know affordable existed. I'll have to check it out next time I'm in that area.

I was at American yesterday. Picked up a couple of things, I wish I knew earlier, I could have gotten in on the better stuff.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
ROYWS3
Algae Grower

I've been going to That Fish Place since the late "80's. They used to have half price fish sales every weekend. It was crazy - like being in Walmart on Black Friday. I remember buying 5" wild brown discus for SEVEN DOLLARS back then. It's still a great store and I stop in every time I'm in Lancaster County

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.