you thought you had an algae problem? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #31
Flear
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

algae in our aquariums is distinguished by general appearance usually.

thread & hair algae (same stuff) it's long, thin strands that grow in the tank, you can see how the water if flowing if your curious, ... "algae eaters" are usually referring to fish & critters that eat this stuff, ... possibly this stuff only. (doesn't mean they'll touch anything else - unless otherwise stated)

staghorn and cladophora algae grow similar to each other, they're both branchy and fluffy like, one is a nice green and it stinks (clado), the other is only "greenish", it's not quite as bushy, it's tougher, doesn't stink, ... things will actually eat this (staghorn)

it all just turns into looks. and for the most part this is close enough for figuring out how to deal with it, what works & what doesn't.

if your after something specific, inquire with friends, chop it up, tear it up, throw it in your tank... then it's like a viral infection. your tank will have that always forever after, you may be able to get rid of the appearance, but never be fully rid of it. if the conditions are right and nothing is present to keep a particular algae in check it will spread like wildfire.

---

if your not going to be so gung-ho, whatever sample you obtain would be great growing in aquarium water by the window.
Flear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #32
psalm18.2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

OK. I got this rock from my LFS. Can you ID the algae?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1374441480345.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	178161

This is in a snail only, window tank. I want algae on all the rocks.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #33
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flear View Post
algae in our aquariums is distinguished by general appearance usually.

thread & hair algae (same stuff) it's long, thin strands that grow in the tank, you can see how the water if flowing if your curious, ... "algae eaters" are usually referring to fish & critters that eat this stuff, ... possibly this stuff only. (doesn't mean they'll touch anything else - unless otherwise stated)

staghorn and cladophora algae grow similar to each other, they're both branchy and fluffy like, one is a nice green and it stinks (clado), the other is only "greenish", it's not quite as bushy, it's tougher, doesn't stink, ... things will actually eat this (staghorn)

it all just turns into looks. and for the most part this is close enough for figuring out how to deal with it, what works & what doesn't.

if your after something specific, inquire with friends, chop it up, tear it up, throw it in your tank... then it's like a viral infection. your tank will have that always forever after, you may be able to get rid of the appearance, but never be fully rid of it. if the conditions are right and nothing is present to keep a particular algae in check it will spread like wildfire.

---

if your not going to be so gung-ho, whatever sample you obtain would be great growing in aquarium water by the window.
+1 on everything, except that clado stinks.

while im sure some of it does, there are a lot of different species of clado. the stuff i have doesnt have much of a smell to it at all. its kinda like categorizing all primates as having a prehensile tail.

the clado i have is pretty tough stuff, but my shrimp happily eat it. they wont eat the larger older strands, but they will eat new growth. over time, the affect is a nicely trimmed patch of algae that can end up looking kinda like flat marimo algae patches.

without something to keep it trimmed, however, it takes over everything. the algae on the snail is actually a kind of BBA. the strands never get very long.
if you look at the front of the snail you can see a little staghorn algae. some of the snails i have only have this kind. most of them are pond snails, and it can look kinda funny sometimes when the staghorn grows a nice big clump on their backs.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #34
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

You gotta post a shot of this algae tank.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #35
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is impressive. It reminds me of the algae scrubber that I'm getting going in my non planted goldfish tank to control nitrates. Love the snail with the algae!
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #36
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
You gotta post a shot of this algae tank.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #37
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this is the tank the snail came from. the only actual plant is hornwort and some wayward duckweed. i dont really know why i have hornwort in there... seemed like a good idea at the time. the shrimp seem to like crawling around on it.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #38
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i had bad marimo algae. never again will i own a moss ball. they loved my tank and ended up covering all my drift wood and collecting all the food when i fed the fish. the moss ball is not really moss but a type of clado algae. once that stuff likes a tank you cant get rid of it and it will start killing plants. 2 years i fought with it. since i am moving when the plants came out i bleached the tank and have 2 more to bleach before im done. i also have to get all new sponges cause they were totally covered in it and bleached all the rocks. not sure what i will do with the drift wood cause i dont want it in my tanks. yeah it looked nice for a while but then it took over all the drift wood and made it look really bad.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #39
Em85
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post

+1 for cha-cha-cha chia pet snail

210 Gallon ~ Clown Loaches & Various Rainbows
125 Gallon ~ Planted
20 Gallon Long ~ Planted
Em85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
this is the tank the snail came from. the only actual plant is hornwort and some wayward duckweed. i dont really know why i have hornwort in there... seemed like a good idea at the time. the shrimp seem to like crawling around on it.

how does your hornwort not get overgrown with algae?
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #41
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)

Haha! When I saw your snail I laughed out loud. I never knew they could grow algae on their shells. Oh man, that is so funny!!! Thanks for sharing.
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #42
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

The only thing funnier than algae on a snail - walking into the kitchen to find your girlfriend, who was recently introduced to how well a Magic Eraser works to remove algae from acrylic, is cleaning all the snails with one.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #43
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
The only thing funnier than algae on a snail - walking into the kitchen to find your girlfriend, who was recently introduced to how well a Magic Eraser works to remove algae from acrylic, is cleaning all the snails with one.
i have actually done this....
Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #44
Nathaniel
Algae Grower

Love your green fuzzy snail! My pond snails get algae on them outside, but never like that!
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.