Blue Green Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Blue Green Algae

I just read the sticky on algae control but I have a quick question, does blue-green algae respond to dosing Excel?

I was thinking of getting some Maracyn if nothing else will work. Also I agree with a post I found about there being no root cause of BGA beause it is simply a bacteria which only got into your tank via an infected host, and to treat BGA like you would Ick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

you probably should start with maracyn(if thats a form of erythromicin) and not save it for last
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed

I doubt excel would have any effect it's a bacteria not a plant like algae, and yes it was most likely brought into the aquarium somehow with plants of fish or something but to thrive and get going it needs set conditions, I would try doing a good tank cleaning then a blackout with maracyn but I tend to overkill things I want to get rid of....
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Dannyul
Algae! Be gone with you!

I am having the same problem with BGA

Here is what I would do to combat it:

1) Perform a 3 day blackout. Dose KNO3 before blackout and also during the blackout without exposing the tank to light (best to do this at night-time just to be safe). Perform 50% WC before and after the blackout. Do not feed and do not inject CO2!

2) Add more flow to the water (either after Step 1 or as well as Step 1) by using circulation pumps / powerheads to help push the water around the tank eliminating any dead spots. Dead spots can hoard a build up of organic waste and decaying matter which BGA love and so grow in these spots (apparently!)

3) If the blackout (Step 1) and the increased flow (Step 2) does not help and you get BGA back within a couple of weeks I would resort to dosing with Maracyn. Whilst dosing with Maracyn, perform 20% WCs daily whilst vacuuming the areas where BGA is/was present.

Best of luck to the both of us!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The easiest way that I have found to get rid of BGA is to just get an airpump and place the airstone directly over the area which is being affected. Works like a charm. If that does not get rid of all of it just dose some Maracyn like stated above.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy199413 View Post
The easiest way that I have found to get rid of BGA is to just get an airpump and place the airstone directly over the area which is being affected. Works like a charm. If that does not get rid of all of it just dose some Maracyn like stated above.
WAY ahead of you. Already 3/4 of the way through dosing of enthro.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

The quickest, easiest, least expensive, and most effective way I have found to eliminate blue-green algae is to dose plain household hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) at close range, using a plastic syringe or test kit pipette (with the filter off, and remaining off for at least a 1/2 hour after dosing). One dosing usually does the job, but a second dosing the following day is sometimes necessary.
Once that is done, one needs to remedy some of the main causes of BGA to prevent it's return - eliminating dead spots in the tank, improving oxygenation (water flow and movement), particularly in the lower areas of the tank, and improving tank cleansing routines (vacuuming, etc.) Add an air stone, power head, or water circulation pump, or a combination of these, do a good tank clean-up at substrate level, and continue to maintain a good level of tank cleanliness overall.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
mr.bigglesworth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys but I really don't need any more help. This thread is over a week old, I have already mostly solved everything. Also mods can close if they want.
Closed Thread