How about a cookware thread? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
MSG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

How about a cookware thread?

Discontinued I believe. All 3 are 12"/30cm. Weight & construction were what impressed me. Nice & balanced. I'm thinking of grabbing one of them so I'm not going to reveal the location or brand until I have some time to think it over.
  • Stir Fry that looks more like a oversized saucier.
  • Fry pan = center
  • Chicken fryer = end

I came across this higher end AC C-Core after & twisted my wrist. Way too HEAVY. I don't know how anyone can use this pan unless they're on steroids. Also I just remember it almost slipped out of my hands onto the floor because I applied sunscreen on someone. Once again, beautifully crafted, but not "practical" for everyday use.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #17
WallaceGrover
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
All-clad would be my dream set. I'll probably buy some piece at a time, but I've been looking for stuff I can buy a few at once that will instantly replace my current cheapo set. I did get a set off an overstock sales site and they are alright, but won't last long. I went with a ceramic coated SS. The pans are light and the ceramic coat isn't great, but they'll work to replace a couple of the teflon pieces.
I bought a Tramontina SS set because it had been touted many times as the cheap alternative to all-clad, and apparently it is almost as good at half the price. Check this review out comparing them: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...a-skillet.html
WallaceGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have the Calphalon tri-ply and LOVE it. It's heavy enough to be sturdy, but not so heavy it's awkward to handle. Quality is really good - nicely balanced, even pans. If you follow the instructions and heat them up properly with a skim of butter or oil, they are nearly as non-stick as true non-stick. They're easy to clean too - barkeepers friend on everything but the shiny part will easily remove any/all marks your food may make on them.

If you're patient, you can find a lot of the Calphalon pans at TJ Maxx and Ross. I built my entire set without actually buying a "set". Just the other day I found a saute pan that runs $100 at BBB for $40 at TJM
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Send a message via AIM to secuono Send a message via Yahoo to secuono

We have a random stainless set from Amazon. I see no difference between the cheaper stuff and the pointless high end stuff other than you buying a name.

secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
MSG
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default A nicer set of cookware will heat more evenly....

It totally depends on your stove & the type of fuel it uses. Electric will require a nice thick bottom to cook food properly.
  • A better set will distribute the heat more evenly & you'll create more edible food instead of turning the ingredient into carbon. Less likely to warp if you need to dunk it in cold/ice water to stop the cooking process.
  • Cheap light cookware limits the types of cooking techniques you can use. Also will melt nicely in a oven that's heated over 400 degrees.
  • You don't have to spend a lot of money. $20-$40 will get you a decent pan, but choose something that enables you to utilize your style of cooking & will accommodate the amount of food you need to prepare.
Most people don't really NEED a full set of cookware.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote