Got turtles! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #16
Blue Ridge Reef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Not if you find the right habitat where they won't be bothered. or find a good zoo that might have a better habitat. snappers in general are mean beasties.
They are a protected species and this is a rescue animal. FWIW, this turtle has an ideal habitat! They are ambush feeders and don't need hundreds of gallons of swimming room; just clean warm water, some cover, and a varied diet. I'll move him up to larger aquariums as he grows, and eventually keep him in a fenced in pond if no one with a better home adopts him. And there exists a litany of cases where animals kept in captivity and released have introduced pathogens into wild populations. It's highly frowned upon to do that. While alligator snappers are much less aggressive than common snappers, they do have an even more devastating bite. Obviously, I'm careful around him.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (69/100%)

There used to be one at Busch Gardens Tampa that I think was about 5 feet long (haven't been in a few years so I'm not sure if it's still there?) Biggest FW turtle I'd ever seen in real life for sure!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #18
Blue Ridge Reef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

They are the largest fw turtle species. Certainly not a "pet" for the average person. I would never adopt it out to anyone who didn't have the facilities to care for it it's entire life. But believe it or not, there are folks out there with series of fenced in ponds in their yards and tons of indoor aquariums just for turtles. I'll try to get some pics up of the facilities the guy has I got these from next time I visit.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Ozymandias
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
They are a protected species and this is a rescue animal. FWIW, this turtle has an ideal habitat! They are ambush feeders and don't need hundreds of gallons of swimming room; just clean warm water, some cover, and a varied diet. I'll move him up to larger aquariums as he grows, and eventually keep him in a fenced in pond if no one with a better home adopts him. And there exists a litany of cases where animals kept in captivity and released have introduced pathogens into wild populations. It's highly frowned upon to do that. While alligator snappers are much less aggressive than common snappers, they do have an even more devastating bite. Obviously, I'm careful around him.

Nice to know, didn't know about the pathogens. the snapper around me get really big saw one like the size of medium to large size tortes crossing the road once.

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #20
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
It would be pretty irresponsible to simply turn it loose.
I am pretty sure that alligator snappers aren't native to BRR's neck of the woods. Thats why he is saying it would be irresponsible.

The salmonella scare is a real one but it is because irresponsible parents buy small turtles for their little kids and then the kids stick them in their mouths. Salmonela is a natural flora in reptiles digestive tracts just like we have different bacteria strains in ours to help with digestion. As long as you clean your hands after handleing with anti bacterial soap it isn't a problem.

Many states, like mine, outlaw small turtles (less than 4" in diameter) because of the reason I mentioned above. I think a better thing to do would be to make the stupid parents take a test to see what they would allow before buying the turtles.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
three105
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a baby cagle's map, and 2 baby stinkpot musk's in my planted 72... doing awesome and the tank looks awesome...
three105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #22
jinx©
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Very cool turtles.

When my sons were younger we used to catch a lot of local species in Ohio and keep them for a few of the warmer months and release them back where we caught them. (I could also watch these guys for hours...lol)
Mostly Red ear sliders, a few snappers and a soft shelled turtle species with a longish snout thats name escapes me right now.

I agree on the Alligator snapper in that they don't actually need as much space as one might think. They are (most snappers in general) actually pretty sedentary creatures that lay in wait for the next meal to swim up...lol

I watched a documentary that had a segment on the Alligator snapper and if I remember correctly the largest on record was close to 250lbs although there are reports of ones over the 400lb mark.

They also talked about specimens that had musket balls lodged in their shells, and that it's believed they can live upwards of 150yrs in the wild.
Pretty fascinating creatures really.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #23
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
It would be pretty irresponsible to simply turn it loose.
any unpolluted creek or lake that never dries can support him... not like he's been domesticated. . lol... dont put him in a pond with fish you want..... I caught one as big as a manhole cover when I was ten... I was so mad my parents wouldn't let me keep her....lol
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.