The Learning Curve - 20g HiTech / Update 8/27/2013 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

In my experience while DSM HC with Eco Complete, it works very well however I was able to really crack the Co2 after filling with a pressurized system. If you are serious about HC get better Co2.
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Personally I never had any melt issues during transition with co2. I did however, cut out a few square inches worth due to cyano after flooding. I'm assuming you are going to use co2 since it is high tech, so I think it is worth trying the dsm. I agree with the other guy who says not to have standing water. the soil should be moist but not wet. good luck

edit: My theory is if you are going to mist it everyday, you should not have the water level higher than the lowest part of the substrate. the saran wrap will keep it moist enough to grow. also, I used 16 hours per day of light during my dsm. if you search for other threads you can find alot of information. most of the failures are when the hc melts during the dry start so since you are seeing growth, you are doing well.
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
sacme
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
In my experience while DSM HC with Eco Complete, it works very well however I was able to really crack the Co2 after filling with a pressurized system. If you are serious about HC get better Co2.
Right now im planning to use the yeast recipe for CO2. I was wondering if you think it would be worth converting to something like paintball CO2. What would the price range be for that?
sacme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #19
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
Personally I never had any melt issues during transition with co2. I did however, cut out a few square inches worth due to cyano after flooding. I'm assuming you are going to use co2 since it is high tech, so I think it is worth trying the dsm. I agree with the other guy who says not to have standing water. the soil should be moist but not wet. good luck

edit: My theory is if you are going to mist it everyday, you should not have the water level higher than the lowest part of the substrate. the saran wrap will keep it moist enough to grow. also, I used 16 hours per day of light during my dsm. if you search for other threads you can find alot of information. most of the failures are when the hc melts during the dry start so since you are seeing growth, you are doing well.
Like I said, do you think it would be beneficial to invest in paintball CO2? Do you know what price I would be looking at?

I'll try to remove the excess water and ill keep my lights on longer. Thanks for the help
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinBear View Post
This is the water level I set.

Soil appear wetter than usual as I just mist it before taking a picture.
Those HC on the top of slope dried, browned and died eventually though.

I'm not sure if "too much water will rot the HC", I keep water lvl down the soil to avoid mold and algae. I only have one DSM experience thus I could be just lucky. (my words sound unsure as I hate giving out incorrect information)
Thanks, ill siphon it out, or try to, might be hard. Im so excited to start my tank it's gonna take a lot of patience to wait out this DSM :)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #21
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I dunno how much paintball co2 is gonna go for but if you get the proper regulators, you might as well get a 5lb co2 tank. I think green leaf aquarium sells the paintball regulator at around the same price as the full sized. I see you are in canada so I dunno if you can buy regulator equipment from ppl on the forum but I got mine here and am very pleased with it.

regarding patience... I never had any either but keep repeating the mantra "it grows faster unflooded" and that should get you through at least a month. on the plus side, now you have time to figure out co2
dasob85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
sacme
Planted Member

That's true. I'll have to look into a whole CO2 setup, I just don't want to pay a whole lot for it
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
sacme
Planted Member

Default Saturday Update! - 06/01/13 (Picture Heavy)

The DSM for my HC is coming along quite nicely, I am very pleased with the growth :) I removed the excess water from my tank, before I did there was a little browning on some of the leaves where the water was, is that because of the water? Nonetheless some of the yellowing has gone away. The right side seems to be growing a little better than the left side even though they're both growing quite well.
I don't think the pictures to the real life color of the plants justice, they look much more green.

I hope my photography skills have improved, got a little help from my brother.

DAY 15 OF DSM

Click image for larger version

Name:	full.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	151522
Full View

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	151538
Top view

Name:	right.jpg
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	151546/
Right Top

Name:	left.jpg
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	151554
Left Top

Name:	right horiz.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	151562
Right Horizontal

Views:	70
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	151562
Left Horizontal

Name:	roots.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	151578
Seeing roots, yes!

Name:	roots2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	151586

Also I have one question that I've asked an re asked but can't seem to get an answer. If I were to use DIY yeast CO2 when I submerged my HC in water do you guys think it would melt?

Thanks for stopping by
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	left horiz.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	151570  

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
sacme
Planted Member

Default UPDATE W/Pictures - 6/27/201

Alright so it's been 43 days since I've started this dry start, let me tell you, being patient is hard stuff :P

So here are some updated pictures:

Name:	full.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	165641
Full View

Views:	34
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	165649
Right Top

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	165657
Left Top

Views:	35
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	165665
Right Horizontal

Name:	left horiz.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	165673
Left Horizontal

I'm very pleased with the growth, I'm going to give it a bit more time before I emerge it. I'm still looking at CO2 rigs, if anyone's had a good experience with a slightly cheaper rig (under 200) let me know Thanks for stopping by
Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
sacme
Planted Member

So it's been an extremely long wait, after waiting for my regulator to come in and the roots to settle during the DSM I've finally decided to fill my tank. I cleaned out my Eheim 2217 I got from a friend and boy that thing was disgusting, I ordered an Aquatek mini CO2 regulator that came in today and I am super excited to set it up, it will be going with a 24Oz paintball tank.

The baby tears were undergoing a DSM for almost 2 months due to my regulator taking longer than I thought to deliver, they've grown really well. Just recently I went away for a weekend and my brother failed to take care of my tank like I asked, some of the leaves began to turn yellow but now it's on its way to a full recovery.

After plenty of research on TPT, which might I mention is and AMAZING community, I was quick to learn the possibility of HC melting once you submerge it after a DSM. One way to avoid this is to crank the CO2 when you first submerge it, this is where I need a little more help. Being fairly new to CO2 I'm not sure what cranking it entails, a higher amount of BPS or leaving it on all the time? I'm really not sure so if anyone could help me out with that it would be greatly appreciated.

One more questions if you guys dont mind: The regulator didn't come with any CO2 tubing, I'm heading out to grab a CO2 diffuser to use while I build my reactor. Should I pick up airstone tubing or is there something more specific that I need?

Pictures coming VERY SOON, stay updated :) Thanks TPT
Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #26
cmathews95
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Airstone Tubing will degrade over time. You want something specifically for co2. I would say home depot, but Idk if they have those in ontario. Try to find polyethylene tubing in a hardware store where you live. I've heard the airstone tubing actually loses some co2.
cmathews95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #27
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews95 View Post
Airstone Tubing will degrade over time. You want something specifically for co2. I would say home depot, but Idk if they have those in ontario. Try to find polyethylene tubing in a hardware store where you live. I've heard the airstone tubing actually loses some co2.
I guess I'll be visiting Home Depot, thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
sacme
Planted Member

Default Filled!!!

After a very long (somewhere around 50 days) DSM I filled my tank last thursday. Just before filling it up I grabbed some more plants:

3 Ambulia's
3 Parviflorous sword's

I think they turned out quit nice

During the fill I set up my Eheim 2217 and Aquatek mini CO2 regulator.
The Eheim has a lot of flow and the spray bar covers most of the tank so thats good, I currently have the regulator sitting around 3 BPS. The lights and CO2 run for 8 hours a day and I'm going to get a new timer soon so I can have the CO2 turn on and off a little earlier than the lights.

The rock and driftwood you see in there I have found locally and made due with what I had, some of the HC that I had to fiddle with where I had to place the driftwood started uprooting so I have clips momentarily holding them down until they re-root.

After completely setting up my tank let me tell you that there's no better feeling than seeing your own planted tank. I mean the ones on here look amazing, but after all the research I've done and all the time it took to get everything together it's very satisfying seeing it filled and planted So thanks to every member on TPT that helped me out.

I don't think one of my posts would be complete without a question so:
Something I could never find much research on is ferts, I know some of the basic ferts but I just don't know which ones I would need for a tank like mine. I'm also not to sure how to come up with a weekly fert schedule, any advice on this would be great!

Definitely stay tuned for updates and thanks again for reading.

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	181210

Name:	driftwood.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	181218

Name:	rock.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	181234

Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	181242
Old 07-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Glad I found this, it seems this is very similar to my most recent project. I'm glad you opted for the pressurized co2 as you will have way better control the the DIY version. Hardscape looks great. My carpet experienced some die off early on and those parts were probe to some serious algae that in just fighting my way back from. As my first high tech experience I will say that it's a lot more balancing that had to be done.

Did I miss? What ferts are you gonna be using?

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
sacme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
Glad I found this, it seems this is very similar to my most recent project. I'm glad you opted for the pressurized co2 as you will have way better control the the DIY version. Hardscape looks great. My carpet experienced some die off early on and those parts were probe to some serious algae that in just fighting my way back from. As my first high tech experience I will say that it's a lot more balancing that had to be done.

Did I miss? What ferts are you gonna be using?
Hey Hambone Yes I'm glad I went CO2 as well, grabbing a bigger paintball tank sometime soon. I'm probably gonna be grabbing excel and comprehensive.