My new 20 tall project
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Ganyon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

My new 20 tall project

I have had a number of planted tanks over the years. A few months ago I started another 10 gallon. Got bored with it and took it down. Well I got bit with the bug again and decided to start another tank. So far I have the tank and some floramax substrate. I filled the tank with water from my dads established 55. Tomorrow I'm planning to go get a few plants and some driftwood.
Heres my progress from yesterday.

Ganyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Went to go get some plants and driftwood from a lfs, but they didn't have any wood that caught my eye and their plant tanks had a ton of snails, so I stayed away. But I did luck out and got a deep blue solarmax he with moonlights for 65 bucks. Hopefully it will be enough light for my low-medium light plans.
They look pretty bright.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Went to petsmart today and got some crypt balasae and anubius nana.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
lurrch
Algae Grower

Looks like a good start. You should get some filter material from your dad too. Relatively little of the bacteria lives in the water.
lurrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Ganyon
Algae Grower

I did get some filter material from him and I also filled the tank with his water. So instant cycle. Lol. But I am undecided on what kind of fish to put in here.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Tank would look WAY better if you wiped those water spots off of the outside! (Just saying for pictures)

For small schooling fish i have had a great experience with zebra danios. Theyre striped so they kind of flash when their bodies catch the light right and are very hardy, i cycled my 50gal with 5 of the, before i knew not to cycle tanks with fish...

I recently got some cardinal tetras and would reccomend them also, very colorful and i havent seem them break their school in 2 days...

Also im really digging cory catfish right now, they are small, look different then other fish, keep your substrate clean and love groups. I only have a peppered cory cat and emerald green cory cat right now...

Liveaquaria is a good place to look around at fish just to see what catches your eye...

Also, am i the only one who WANTS snails in theyre plants? Lol.
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Haha, I was just so ready to share that I didn't even bother cleaning the glass. I actually like the idea of zebra danios. I have never had them. I usually always kept the typical molly, platy, guppy tank. I do like cory cats. I was also thinking about testing my luck with some shrimp, but I'm not too sure yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

You can see ive got the shrimp bug . Like small schooling fish they are fun to watch because theyre always moving around, and im always looking for females with eggs...

They have been really fun to have, you just need to be patient in setting up the tank and getting the water parameters down... Obviously id reccomend red cherries to start if you go that route...

But yea, id pick danios/tetras over platty/guppy/mollys

Or if you want to keep 1 kind of fish... "Pea puffer" or dwarf puffer fish always seem to be a cool "go to" fish.. Could keep 3-4 in a 20gal (was told locally theyre kept 1-2 per 10g) but theyre mean and shouldnt be kept with any other fish/inverts. **also pea puffers are freshwater, not brackish
Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Ganyon
Algae Grower

I might do danios. I also like angels. So maybe 1 or 2 of those. Luckily, the tank is basically cycled. Filled it with water from the 55 and put some filter media from the 55 in my filter.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Be careful, if those 2 angel fish end up mating, they will try to kill anything in the tank with them! Is why i only have 1. Then again just because you get 2 doesnt mean theyll pair.

And like lurrch said water doesnt carry much beneficial bacteria so your substrate is not cycled yet... But the filter media was a good call
Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #11
Ganyon
Algae Grower

I've never had any angels pair up in any of my old tanks. Guess it was just luck. I usually try to get them small so they grow up with other fish. And any little bit of bacteria helps. I figured the water from the tank would be better than from the tap. We literally have liquid rock around here.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Yeah, ive seen a tank with 8 or so angels online and guy had no problems... But it happens
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #13
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Nothing new today. I did notice 2 new shoots on one of the anubias' so thats good. I'm going to a new lfs on wednesday, so hopefully they'll have something good.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Got my glass lid today. I haven't gotten any new plants or fish yet. Still trying to decide what to stock the tank with.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Ganyon
Algae Grower

Went to petco today and got a nice looking bunch of rotala indica and 3 ghost shrimp.