29 gallon soon to be planted.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
SickLid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to SickLid Send a message via Yahoo to SickLid

29 gallon soon to be planted.

Hello all!!!!

Just wanted to share the beginning of a new journey with my 29 gallon planted. I initially had it setup with bulky pieces of wood I found at a local river, but over time as we all know, this type of wood starts to rot and debris is churned up throughout the tank. Even with good filtration, my amano shrimp would pick at it continually, making it a task to maintain constant cleanliness! I was also using CFL (5000K) bulbs via clamp fixtures, fluorite black sand, and DIY CO2 (2x 2Liter Soda bottles with chopstick ends for diffusion). My plants consisted of java/windolev fern, crypt (green), hygro, wisteria, and ludwigia. Growth was good actually, but I had no character or depth, as the plants were just kinda everywhere, lol!

This is what inspired me to buckle down and put more effort/energy into a true hard-scape first, then worry about planting/placement thereafter my foundation is laid. Substrate in my initial setup was flat, no slopes or anything. So for starters, I removed EVERYTHING from this tank. I have saved the fluorite black sand tho and am keeping it saturated, churning it up and running a power-head in the bucket to keep flow over it. I've kept the hardier plants (java/windolev and some of the crypts), but traded the others mentioned earlier at my LFS for some credit

For my new scape, I've ordered some eco complete (2x 20lb bags black coarse grade), already have root tabs to help out after a few months of the whole eco complete losing it's value deal happens and will also still utilize some of my fluorite sand, but in pantyhose under the eco to help with creating/maintaining a slope. Saw a good example of this via this link: http://www.cau-aquascape.net/index.p...sland-of-glory

I've also just acquired some Manzanita Driftwood (manzanita-driftwood.com) and these pieces of course, will be the backbone of my hard-scape. I'll also be using black lava rocks to fill in spots and attach ferns/anubias to as well. For the time being I plan to remain with my DIY CO2 setup, but I've added a few things to tighten it up a bit. I ordered the A+B bottle caps from the PRO DIY CO2 system setup that comes from China to aid in an airtight seal at the cap (this is the only place I've had a problem with leakage). I've also made a reactor using a Maxi-jet 600 pump along with a gravel siphon and coarse media to catch any bubbles that try to escape. Bubble counter and check valves are of course standard with this build as well.

No specific plans for the plants just yet, but once I have my hard-scape set, I'm sure my creative juices will start to flow, so not too worried about where the plants will reside in the setup. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated tho Definitely going to start with a good foreground plant. Been thinking about pogostemon helferi or dwarf sag. My lighting consists of an aqueon led 30" fixture with 3x daylight led strip bulbs. Will also be using two of the smaller clap light fixtures I have with the CFL bulbs clamped to the back of the tank as well because I'd like to have some higher tech plants in my new setup (not sure which ones yet, but just want to be set for them when decided). I know it all seems scattered right now, but my work in progress will pay off soon enough.

Thanks to all you good folks here on this forum that provide so much beneficial information. At times when I'm researching, I can't seem to find anything I'm looking for, but when I log into TPT, endless info is at my fingertips, so I really appreciate you ALL.

Here are some pics of my 29 gallon prior to the break down and what it looks like now (today).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Galaxy Pics 121.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	177129  

Name:	Galaxy Pics 128.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	177137  

Name:	Galaxy Pics 008.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	177145  

SickLid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks really good. Any updates?
WestHaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
SickLid
Algae Grower

Thx WestHaven! And yes, tank is re-scaped and back full of water!!! Had a loooong day yesterday, lol!

I will post pics later this evening!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

have you found any PAR readings for that light?
I have never seen it before, and would love to upgrade my coralife t5no fixture
this may be an option if I dont go with the fugeray
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
SickLid
Algae Grower

Hey Buddha,

I was able to find this:

AQ Modular LED 30'' (3 tubes)
Open
Tank Size 30''
Area Measured (@ 12") 12'' X 30''
Avg PAR 21.6
Max PAR 35

Ref Link: www.apetforum.com/LED Lighting PAR

Not certain this info is 100% official, but seems this fixture is on the lower end of the totem pole! Still a nice light for the time being. I intended on using two CFLs in addition to this fixture, but I think I may lean more towards purchasing a Finnex RayII 30" fixture to couple with the Aqueon LED 30.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
SickLid
Algae Grower

Updated pics of my new scape!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galaxy Pics 041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	101.6 KB