Confusion on LFS reccommendations
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-20-2003, 03:59 AM   #1
Skysong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Skysong Send a message via Yahoo to Skysong

My LFS owner said:

To deal with my snail problem in my 29, to buy a clown loach, but aren't these fish supposed to be kept in pairs? Don't they get too large for this tank?
A betta would get it's fins nipped by danios and the harlequins, so it was a no-go. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Tank Additions:
10 Harlequins (Razbora)
[clown loach]
[betta]

Current Tank:
3 SAEs
5 Z Danios
2 Albino Cories
2 Cories (-Brevirostris?)

Old 01-20-2003, 06:14 AM   #2
lanstar
Planted Member

Yes, clown loaches are happiest in larger groups (6 or so). Another fine snailer is the YoYo Loach. They seem to be happy in groups as small as 3 YoYo loaches. The Clowns or the YoYos will also appreciate a cave of some sort to hang out in.

I've got 3 YoYos in with several smaller (and larger) species - including SAEs and Coreys. The YoYos seem to mind their own business (eating snails and sniffing around for other food) and leave the other fish and the plants alone.

The only word of caution is that the loaches have sharp barbs like a catfish and can stab the heck out of an agressive fish that decides it wants to bully the Loaches or try for a Loach-lunch. They will defend themselves but don't seem to be interested in starting a fight.

The other thing that will freak you out is that these fish sometimes "play dead" as part of their normal behavior. They can be found sometimes lying on their sides or even upside down. You can look closely and see that the gills are still working. In a little while, they're back up and swimming normally. It's kind of scary at first but you get used to it.

Tim
Old 01-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #3
shadowcat_7
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to shadowcat_7 Send a message via Yahoo to shadowcat_7

My Clown Loach loves to swim with my Tiger barbs. I have a small school of 8 of them and they are too busy chasing each other to nip my Angels and Gouramis.
shadowcat_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2003, 12:55 AM   #4
Skysong
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Skysong Send a message via Yahoo to Skysong

Anything about the betta?
How long would it take for a CL to grow out of the tank?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I did'nt know bettas ate snails.
I know clown loaches love snails and they'll eat up all your snails in no time.
I have 2 clown loaches in my 75 gal tank and they're really cool fish to watch and they seem to be happy ,just the two of them.... I bought the clown loaches about a year ago to get rid of snails and they did it in 2 days. They're about 3" long now. I think they rarely grow over 7" in captivity, but I'm not sure. They don't grow really fast like an angel does. By the time they outgrow your 29 gallon maybe you will have outgrown it also:hehe: Then you can move them to the larger tank.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2003, 06:11 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I agree with Marcel. Some people frown on the philosophy of buying juvenile fish and allowing them to outgrow a tank and then moving on to a larger tank as they grow. Well I've done this several times and found that it encourages me to try bigger tanks I might not normally save up my money for. And if they got too big for me to care for, it is usually very easy to find someone who wants a large healthy specimen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.