My Cerges. input requested
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

My Cerges. input requested

Obviously a test fit. I'll shore up the connections so it won't be quite so long lol. The hanging bit of PVC across the top is just to show where the secondary loop will be connected. I need to know if:

The valve will work like I want it to. I added it so I could control, somewhat, the flow through the reactor. My filter pushes a rated ~260 gph and I understand a flow of roughly 100gph is desired for these. This way I can open/close the valve to let more or less flow through the thing to dial in the Co2.

Any comments / suggestions before I start cementing?

jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
stealthy hunter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My opinion you will need another valve on the loop to "force " water through the reactor. Otherwise it will just travel through the loop and not the reactor.
stealthy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

would I get the same effect if I just moved this valve to the top? i.e. all the way closed and all flow is forced through the reactor, but open the valve a bit and some flow will move through the loop? Or should I just spring for a second valve just to be safe? I'm horrible with flow dynamics.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

I don't see any purpose to the secondary loop. You won't want to use that to adjust the amount of CO2 in the water - adjusting the bubble rate works much better for that. And, the rated flow of the pump pushing water through this is with no restriction on the outlet. The reactor is a restriction, so the flow rate will be less than the rated flow, possibly down to 100 gph. It is just an unnecessary complication, and source of possible problems.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah I realise the rated flow will never be the actual. I just didn't want to put the whole thing together and THEN realise the flow was way too much and burping the Co2 out the Cerges. I'll try it without the extra complication and pray. At the very least, it'll decrease the size of the thing significantly, and I can go back to home depot and get some $ back for the extra bits.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Who told you that a Cerges works best with 100gph? I have a Fluval 305 with my Cerges connected right after the output and have no issues with CO2 diffusion. It is also dead silent. I have the same exact house filter and you got it connected backwards. The intake side is the one with the red button on the top. You want your CO2 line to be on that end. There are little arrows on top that show you the flow direction.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

I run my Fluval 306 wide open through a cerges reactor and have no problems. I don't think you need a bypass valve.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
Who told you that a Cerges works best with 100gph? I have a Fluval 305 with my Cerges connected right after the output and have no issues with CO2 diffusion. It is also dead silent. I have the same exact house filter and you got it connected backwards. The intake side is the one with the red button on the top. You want your CO2 line to be on that end. There are little arrows on top that show you the flow direction.

yeah this was just slapped together to show the valve theory. I realized the backwards in/out after I took the pic.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If you want to really simplify the setup you can take out the red button and put the CO2 tubing in there. I would put a check valve right before it though. Mine is just 2 elbows on the ends of the filter and that's it.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah that's the original setup I've seen, but it makes me nervous as heck to rely on a compression fitting based on a hole drilled and tubing stuffed inside. I'll keep the hose barb, and the rest can go away. Luckily, now that I've decided to do DSM, I have plenty of time to get all thsi plumbed up.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=ext5000
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.