Typhon controlled full spectrum multi cannon build (PAR data up!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM   #1
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Typhon controlled full spectrum multi cannon build (PAR data up!)


So some people wanted me to do a build thread of my dual LED cannons so here it is. It will be going over a 29g tank.

Parts list

Typhon controller with with LDD board from O2Surplus
Each color will be fully independently controlled so I can dial down the desired spectrum. Light will be on a 12-hour cycle but with dawn and dusk ramp ups of 3 hours each as of right now.

Luxeon ES from stevesleds (No optics)
12 - Cool White 6400K (6 per cannon)
2 - Deep Red 660nm (1 per cannon)
2 - Cool Blue 470nm (1 per cannon)
2 - Hyper Violet 420nm (1 per cannon)
Each color string will be wired in series.

MeanWell drivers
3 - LDD-1000H (whites, blues, and greens)
1 - LDD-700H (reds)
These drivers are tiny and super cheap ($5/ea). You can load from 2-52v on them and they use a 5v PWM signal. Another great thing about these is that you can can dim to 0%. They will be wired in parallel to the PSU.

350w 48V 7.4a power supply (absolute overkill but was cheap)
24w 12V 5a power supply for Typhon and LED fans

Going with these drivers and power supply will allow me to add 2 more cannons to the system very easily without much modification.

2 - Intel Ivy Bridge heatsink/fans (these can cool 70w of LEDs easily)
3/4" aluminum flat bar from home depot for mounting plate for the LED

DIY acrylic pendants for housing the cannons and misc hanging hardware

Cat5 cable for running the pendants to the Typhon (4 strands per string)

I made the pendant housing tonight with scrap acrylic I got at the at the store. Bonded together with IPS Weld-On 4.

This is the housing - 4x4x4"


This is the heatsink with the flat bars. The flat bars will go on the heatsink with Arctic Silver Alumina thermal adhesive. They are cut in 3" lengths for 3 rows of 3 LEDs.


HSF inside the housing


Top view of cannon



The LEDs from steve should be here early next week as well as the meanwell LDDs.

To be Continued...

Last edited by gus6464; 08-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: new stuff
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 564
Default

Looking good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 338
Default

I like this idea and I like how cheap your drivers are. Would be very interested in seeing how this turns out and how it looks in action.
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,392
Default

Subd, want to see this build finished out!

Could you provide links of where your getting the equipment?

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
__________________
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Subd, want to see this build finished out!

Could you provide links of where your getting the equipment?

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
I got the LEDs from stevesleds
http://shop.stevesleds.com/LUXEON-ES...t-LEDs_c27.htm

The drivers are Meanwell LDDs from powergate
http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-wel...er-supply.html
The HW series have wires and H does not.

Power supply was from ebay do a search for 48v 7.3a power supply.
The 12v Typhon power supply I already had lying around. Will wire the fans and Typhon in parallel to the brick.

Intel heatsink/fan I got for free as I had one lying around from a recent PC build and a coworker just built a new PC as well so he gave me his as he bought a beefier one. On ebay though you can buy them in lots of 5 for as little as $15 so comes out to $3/ea. I would need to have over 20 LEDs per HSF to reach cooling capacity.

For the acrylic I went to an acrylics shop in town and they sell scraps for really cheap. $10 in scraps is enough for be to build 10-15 housings.

This is the Typhon that O2Surplus builds

Front


Back
This is the addon board for the drivers. You just slide the drivers in and connect LEDs to outputs and PSU in the bottom.


Side
You can see the main Typhon board and LDD board connected together.


In total for the build I have $200 in it but that includes the Typhon controller. I can add 2 more cannons to the current config for ~$33 a cannon which can cover a 5ft tank easily.

One cannon with same number of LEDs 11" from substrate with no optics on an 18" long tank puts out over 500 PAR in a reef config. I am sure 2 of these with optics at 2ft from substrate will have no issues putting out 60 PAR to the substrate on my 30" long tank.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I got the LEDs from stevesleds
http://shop.stevesleds.com/LUXEON-ES...t-LEDs_c27.htm

The drivers are Meanwell LDDs from powergate
http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-wel...er-supply.html
The HW series have wires and H does not.

Power supply was from ebay do a search for 48v 7.3a power supply.
The 12v Typhon power supply I already had lying around. Will wire the fans and Typhon in parallel to the brick.

Intel heatsink/fan I got for free as I had one lying around from a recent PC build and a coworker just built a new PC as well so he gave me his as he bought a beefier one. On ebay though you can buy them in lots of 5 for as little as $15 so comes out to $3/ea. I would need to have over 20 LEDs per HSF to reach cooling capacity.

For the acrylic I went to an acrylics shop in town and they sell scraps for really cheap. $10 in scraps is enough for be to build 10-15 housings.

This is the Typhon that O2Surplus builds

Front


Back
This is the addon board for the drivers. You just slide the drivers in and connect LEDs to outputs and PSU in the bottom.


Side
You can see the main Typhon board and LDD board connected together.


In total for the build I have $200 in it but that includes the Typhon controller. I can add 2 more cannons to the current config for ~$33 a cannon which can cover a 5ft tank easily.

One cannon with same number of LEDs 11" from substrate with no optics on an 18" long tank puts out over 500 PAR in a reef config. I am sure 2 of these with optics at 2ft from substrate will have no issues putting out 60 PAR to the substrate on my 30" long tank.
Thank you!

Wow.. That's really cheap all things considered... I may have to revisit building me an led setup

I feel like I am missing something though... Those drivers just seem super cheap??

Do they have to have a separate power supply?

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
__________________
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Thank you!

Wow.. That's really cheap all things considered... I may have to revisit building me an led setup

I feel like I am missing something though... Those drivers just seem super cheap??

Do they have to have a separate power supply?

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
The LDD drivers are an amazing little piece of technology, considering their $5 price tag. They do require an external power supply, but a typical 48V supply can be purchased cheaply on FleaBay.
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
Thank you!

Wow.. That's really cheap all things considered... I may have to revisit building me an led setup

I feel like I am missing something though... Those drivers just seem super cheap??

Do they have to have a separate power supply?

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
You need a separate power supply but they are cheap. My 7.4a 48v power supply cost me $30 before shipping on [Ebay Link Removed] I can power 7 1a LDDs with that thing which means that for $70 I can power 105 LEDs at 1a. If you went with the MeanWell ELN stuff that has built-in power supply you would have to spend over $200 to power the same amount of LEDs.

The only thing you have to look out for with the LDDs is that for dimming you need a 5v PWM signal. This means that you cannot use basic pots for dimming unless you make a 555 timer.

Also the 48v ELN drivers have a 24v minimum voltage requirement which means you need at least 8 LEDs to use them. LDDs just need 2v to run so you can put a single LED on them.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru
 
NWA-Planted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bentonville, AR
Posts: 3,392
Default

This is awesome information.... So basically those "drivers" are a power modulater, but regardless huge savings!!

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
__________________
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
This is awesome information.... So basically those "drivers" are a power modulater, but regardless huge savings!!

Sent from... The BEYOND via tapatalk
Yeah these are awesome drivers. They are right at home with Arduino. Some people at nano-reef have DIY Arduino setups that control lights, show temp and pH, and have programmable light events like clouds, thunderstorms, etc. I have just started to get into the Arduino stuff but you can put together a full blown controller with a touchscreen for around $80 in parts.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
thelub
Newbie
 
thelub's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE Washington
Posts: 1,956
Default

Nice build. Definitely subscribed.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

LED's are in! Still waiting on meanwell's though and have no clue when powergate is shipping them. I should have the cannons built and wired by tonight though.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
O2surplus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: yorba linda, ca.
Posts: 564
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
LED's are in! Still waiting on meanwell's though and have no clue when powergate is shipping them. I should have the cannons built and wired by tonight though.

Which ones did you order? They're showing 23 Ldd-1000H in stock right now. I'm thinking about snapping them up, but it could be just a ruse. I ordered 20 in November of last year and had to wait until near the end of January before they actually shipped, LoL. I've got 4 1000's and 7 700's that you can "borrow" if you need some in a hurry,LoL. That way you don't have to wait, just send'em back to me when the replacements arrive.
__________________
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Which ones did you order? They're showing 23 Ldd-1000H in stock right now. I'm thinking about snapping them up, but it could be just a ruse. I ordered 20 in November of last year and had to wait until near the end of January before they actually shipped, LoL. I've got 4 1000's and 7 700's that you can "borrow" if you need some in a hurry,LoL. That way you don't have to wait, just send'em back to me when the replacements arrive.
I ordered 4 1000H and 2 700H. When I ordered they said 50 in stock for 1000's and 130ish for 700's. I just need 3 1000's and 1 700 for this build though so if you don't mind that would be great.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
gus6464
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,139
Default

I got my LDD's in today from powergate so the build begins.

Attached aluminum bars and LEDs


Finished the wiring on one cannon. The wire going to the controller and other cannon is cat5 and I am using 2 wires per color.


Back of Typhon with LDDs connected and wired to LEDs.


Attached optics and light inside the housing.


Did a test with one cannon and on full power the heatsink is cold to the touch. As far as light intensity these little thing is bright! There is no disco effect with the colors and there is a huge shimmer effect now compared to the Ray 2. It is definitely brighter than the Ray 2 at full blast 2ft from the substrate whereas Ray 2 is 16in from substrate.

I get my other heatsink tomorrow and have to hang the unit but should be done by tomorrow.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012