maryland house rest stop....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maryland

Old 07-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

maryland house rest stop....

hello,, im going to be stopping at the maryland rest stop on my way home and wanted to know if there are any good fish stores that i could stop by and look at.... maybe with a 15-20 min drive at the most.. anything longer it will be hard to talk the wifey into going.
flukekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nothing good nearby, but you might want to know that the Maryland house is completely closed for renovations (the are ripping it to the ground and starting over) and the Chesapeake house just north of that is only partially open. http://www.i95mdtravelplazas.com/

If you are going through Delaware the rest stop on I-95 just north of Maryland is brand new, just re-opened last year.

There is a good sized store not to far from there, nothing super special but bigger than your average fish shop. Salt and fresh. They just ripped out and replaced a bunch of tanks - had a giant stack of very dirty drilled 20 longs for like $10 a pop

Premium Aquatics http://www.delawarefishstore.com/
Directions:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

I drive I-95 every day for work.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow,, thats good to know... yeah i will probably stop at the chesapeake house... do you know the name of the one in delaware? i will have to look into this.. i am in Va and meeting the in-laws to drop my son off for 2weeks before we make the trip to NY ourselves for a family function and to pick him up... i might wait till i get to NY then since i know where the fish stores are up there.

thanks for the info,, i must have misread cause i thought it was closed last year..
Old 07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

here is the DE one, it is very nice.
http://www.visitdelaware.com/group-tour/rest-areas/

Chesapeake house is open but limited, still looks very 'construction site'
Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think we are just gonna meet up at the ball field in Baltimore
Old 07-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so we decided to meet at the Baltimore aquarium... any fish stores near the aquarium?

Last edited by flukekiller; 07-20-2013 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #7
mrbooz8787
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

House of tropicals in glen burnie just google like 400 tanks of live stock and a lot of plants
mrbooz8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Ganyon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbooz8787 View Post
House of tropicals in glen burnie just google like 400 tanks of live stock and a lot of plants
Went there today. I love some of the tanks they have and I got quite a few great pictures.
Ganyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm gonna try to stop by there tomorrow.. thanks for the info
Old 07-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
Ganyon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Its a really awesome place. Some things can be quite expensive, but they have almost everything you can think of in there.
Ganyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I stopped by the house of tropicals.. they had a nice saltwater selection and a decent fresh water selection.. no plants at all... had some red cherries. But the crs they had were by far from any kind of quality. They all had clear patches where it should have been a nice solid white .. TBH I was not all that impressed plus they were $8.00 each. I could understand the higher price if they were a higher grade. I was excited to see the discus until I saw that 80% of them were peppered. If I was going for saltwater I would have been extremely happy. But for the fresh side I wasn't too thrilled. All in All the selection was good plus the dry goods were plentiful and full of variety.
Unfortunately I will not be stopping there again. I would much rather take the trip via beach and go to animal jungle
Old 08-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

HoT had no plants? Did you ask an employee? They have a section in the back that holds a bunch of plants. About 10 or so tanks of plants, and some nice display tanks too. Definitely not a huge variety, but a good selection of beginner and intermediate plants. More than any other LFS I've been to. Since it's in the back, it'd be easy to miss.

As for their livestock - I'm with you, their prices and quality on some things aren't the best, but they do actually have decent prices on some fish. I got my cardinal tetras from them, they were cheaper than any other store in the area that I called. And they were SUPER plump and healthy. I'm amazed at how big they are. I also got rummynose tetras there, and they're double the size from the few I bought from a LFS in silver spring. I actually had a few from that store die, and they're rather small

Personally, even though house of tropicals isn't anything great.. it's one of the best fish stores I've seen in MD. If someone knows of a better one, let me know!
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
flukekiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

..tbh I really didn't have a good overall experience.. I asked several employees about plants and shrimp and was to look in all the tanks they are every where. Then when I got someone to actually try and look for them they found a tank with 5 shrimp but no plants.. but this was just my experience
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
Cyanider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I agree with you. Their employees are absolutely awful. The older ones are better, but every young employee there would be fired if it were up To me!

Sorry to hear about your experience house of Tropicals is probably the only good fish store in the area, unfortunately.
Cyanider is offline   Reply With Quote