125 gallon stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

125 gallon stand

I just bought a 125 with stand and canopy for $100. I just couldn't pass it up!
I think the style of the stand and canopy are fine(not a fan of the stain, but that is an easy fix), but I am worried about the stand's construction. All of my other tanks are on stands built with the classic overbuilt 2x4 plans.

My worries:
1. The sides aren't bearing the weight directly to the floor. The sides are attached to the bottom moulding piece.
2. The 1/2 inch wide solid wood sheet construction(once again, might just be my attachment to 2x4 frames)
3. The five 1/2 inch wide x 3ish inch wide supports are the only support for the whole back of the tank(under the top frame).

Any "more skilled with wood-working than I" people care to chime in their thoughts on the sturdiness of this stand?

I am also wondering about the best way to shim it would be. Are you supposed to shim it without the tank sitting on it, or after the empty tank is on it? The floor is tile that is slightly uneven(the landlord did it himself...), so I am worried about stress on the silicon.
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If all of the sides/back are butt jointed to the bottom/top then your weight distribution is fine. If they are "tacked" into the molding then that would be bad. With out closer pictures of the sides, both bottom and top shots its hard to tell though.

As for floor contact, I would put a piece of plywood down that matches the frame dimensions and shim that to level. Then put the stand on it and see if that is still level. Shimming the actual stand could weaken the joints by stressing them.

Overall it looks like a factory stand, so it should hold up correctly. If you doubt it though and want peace of mind, it only takes a weekend to knock out a DIY stand.

Thats just my two cents from what I can see in the photos.

Nice grab on such a big tank.
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
koiboi
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looks like a standard All Glass Aquarium stock stand. Not the best but should hold.
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

When the tank is on the stand are the corners of the tank directly over the vertical supports? If so you are fine. Looks like this stand was meant to have about an inch of stand showing around the top. The bottom frame is just another 'floor'. A floor that keeps the verticals vertical!

I live in earthquake country and would add triangles between sides and top and bottom or a panel that connects the sides to the top and bottom to add shear strength to the stand.

Those very small looking rear supports can each hold up an amazing amount of weight, they are fine. Also the weight goes to the floor through the corners, not the sides.

I shimmed with the tank on the stand and filled in any gaps between floor and stand as my tank is acrylic and might flex more than a glass tank even though the corners take the weight. Get a long level so you have a good long straight edge, makes this much easier to do.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

It isn't factory made- the previous owner had it made by a cabinet maker back in the states(we're stationed in Germany). So, I would *hope* that it was sturdy/up to par, but you never know! He had the tank for 5 years on this stand and it held just fine. I'm just used to the 2x4 stands that can hold a vehicle lol.

The top is butt jointed to the sides, but I don't know about the bottom. I guess I'll have to flip it up to check it out.

I am thinking I will likely just have one of the overbuilt frames made. I made them for my smaller tanks, but I don't know if I trust my DIY skill enough for something to large.
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote