HITH on Blue Ram?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

HITH on Blue Ram?

Over the past couple days, I have noticed one of my GBRs had some marks on his forehead and thought it was a result of him getting picked on by one of the dominant males in the tank. So I put him in my sump to monitor him but have noticed that the white spots are almost protruding now and his eyes are starting to get hazy, which raises quite a few alarms with me.

Below is the best picture I could get with my phone (still holding out on getting a nice camera soon). My water parameters are all in check so that is not the issue.

Any ideas and/or treatment options? He is in a hospital tank waiting for a treatment.

ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I just went through the same thing with my male GBR...right after breeding he seemed to get these white pimple things on his forhead...they got bigger and started to break open and looked very nasty. I dosed the tank with Ich rid, Metro, Meth blue and Binox to see if any of these things would stop the erosion that seemed to be eating at my lovely boys head.

During this time the female never got anything wrong with her, and they even laid more eggs which he fertilized too, to all outside appearances he was just fine.

I noticed he was starting to get a bit bloated looking and not eating as much as normal, even though he was still guarding his eggs etc.

Then one morning I turned on the lights and he had passed away during the night....I was soooo upset. I had tried everything to keep him alive, but all for nothing.

I read somewhere it happens to rams from stress from breeding/or breeding stress, but the long term outcome is not good. I am not trying to frighten you, but you need to be prepared for the inevitable loss of your fish to circumstances that we just do not know the reasons for....and no matter what we do it will not make any difference.

I hope this doesn't happen for you, but I am forewarning you that it may be the same as my fish.

Soooo very sorry. I wish I had a cure for it.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Remove any carbon you use, and dont use it again in your tanks if you are. Do large weekly water changes for him, and add melafix/pimafix for a bit. It's going to take time, and yes it's irreversible. I've done it myself with fish i got from others, and nursed them back. Just think a hospital environment.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyghost2 View Post
I just went through the same thing with my male GBR...right after breeding he seemed to get these white pimple things on his forhead...they got bigger and started to break open and looked very nasty. I dosed the tank with Ich rid, Metro, Meth blue and Binox to see if any of these things would stop the erosion that seemed to be eating at my lovely boys head.

During this time the female never got anything wrong with her, and they even laid more eggs which he fertilized too, to all outside appearances he was just fine.

I noticed he was starting to get a bit bloated looking and not eating as much as normal, even though he was still guarding his eggs etc.

Then one morning I turned on the lights and he had passed away during the night....I was soooo upset. I had tried everything to keep him alive, but all for nothing.

I read somewhere it happens to rams from stress from breeding/or breeding stress, but the long term outcome is not good. I am not trying to frighten you, but you need to be prepared for the inevitable loss of your fish to circumstances that we just do not know the reasons for....and no matter what we do it will not make any difference.

I hope this doesn't happen for you, but I am forewarning you that it may be the same as my fish.

Soooo very sorry. I wish I had a cure for it.
Yea he ended up dying, which I expected anyways. Thanks for the help, though!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry it didn't work out for you either! I tried everything in the book/the web/listened to other hobbyists, but it didn't make any difference
he died anyway.

On a good note, he left me with 8 x 6 week old babies doing good, and 20 x 2 week olds coming along slowly but good...starting to look like rams now.

His wife spawned with another GBR male so she's happy now....life goes on, and so should we Try getting another male if you have a lone female.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

I've been debating on getting another male or two, as I've got a couple of females begging to spawn. They've got their breeding tubes out and are poking at the larger male in the tank (the other one is still just a little too small to breed) but he's not having any of it since he is already paired off and guarding a pit in the sand (I can't see any eggs, though).
Old 07-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

If he's guarding a pit, you can be sure there's something in it, even though you can't see anything. Mine did this and I even used a magnifier to see what it was, but couldn't see anything until day 2 when I noticed the gravel was a little darker than normal (I have orangey colored aquasoil) and realized it was wigglers all piled into a pit.

Good luck, hope you've got bbs, vinegar eels, or microworms ready to feed the babies