Claudophora and shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-22-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

I am having some issues with claudophora on my tank and am wondering about peoples' experience with this and shrimp. I have 5 amanos (29gal) and am getting 5 more (on order). For a while, I thought they were nibbling on the stuff, now I am not so sure. There's an interesting thread in the apd from Tom Barr about treating with copper which I might try eventually.

The stuff is growing on portions of the gravel and on my wood. I turn over the gravel where possible, but this is not always possible since there is limited open area. The wood I thought of taking out and giving it a boil. I have recently found a little of it on my anubias roots as well. It isn't overwhelming by any means, but I want to make sure I don't let it get out of hand. It is my understanding this is one alga you cannot control by nutrient control alone.

Thanks for any input.

Bert.
Bert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Copper treatment will probably also kill your shrimp.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Before you add anything to the tank, I would really find out why it's there in the first place. Also, it would be nice if you could provide some more info about your tank (e.g. how long has it been set up, water parameters, etc.).

Copper is pretty toxic to invertebrates in general, not just shrimps. Also, once it is in your system it tends to stay, bonded. Water changes will help, but even a slight trace of it is still detrimental. There are copper removers, but since I have not used any copper (just not worth it imo) in the past, I can't be sure of how effective they are.

I was able to find this through google:
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00188.html

Amano shrimps apparently doesn't eat any of this stuff...
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know, George, I would have to remove the inverts. If I resorted to the copper treatment it would be as a last resort, and, thankfully, I am a long ways from there! What I was referring to on the apd is this: http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00637.html. It sounded pretty interesting.

As far as tank parameters, it's a well established tank. It was fish only for about 2 years and then I discovered the wealth of info on the web about growing plants, I turned it into a planted tank about 14 months ago. I try to keep NO3 around 10ppm, PO4 around 1ppm, dose with flourish 2x week 2mls each. CO2 injected 20-30ppm. Lighting is a 55W bright kit from AH and a 20W strip. Do 50% weekly water changes. I've more or less adopted the 'Barr method.'

As to where it came from originally, who knows! What I am trying to do is manually try to keep it in check while adding more shrimp to see if they can help. But if neither amanos nor cherries will eat it...
Old 01-22-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One more thing, knock on wood, I've never had any other algae issues! Green spot on the glass is the only other algae I deal with and it gets scraped weekly with the water changes.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Hmm...your link doesn't work for me (page not found).
Old 01-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know why the link doesn't work. Maybe there's some option here I don't know about when putting in links? I know the address is correct. If I type it in manually it gets me there.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

You're correct. The link is there if you type it but not otherwise, lol. Pretty interesting stuff there. Since you're not at the point of resorting to copper, then I would suggest that you try to correct your water parameters instead.

As Tom Barr states:
"The point is to kill what's there in the water, then correct conditions and not have the reoccurance."

It sounds like you're on top of things. You mentioned that you switched it over to a planted tank 14 months ago. When was the last time that you replaced the bulbs on either of those fixtures? The reason that I ask is because I used to have quite a bit of various types of algae growing in the tank, but that was due to old bulbs. Within days after I changed the bulbs, I noticed that the algae was disappearing and not a trace of it has come back (other than the algae that covers the glass, which gets cleaned off during water changes). If you haven't replace the PC bulbs for awhile (14 months or so) or the 20W in the strip (even shorter life span versus a PC, on the order of 6 months or so), then I'd seriously replace them and see what happens.

On another note, you might want to run the tank a little leaner. If you can, cut back the ferts to half the of what you're doing weekly (i.e. lower NO3 to around 5 ppm and PO4 to 0.5).

HTH,
Eric