another newbie with algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
phishy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

another newbie with algae

I got back from vacation today. I was gone a little over a week so I was excited about seeing my new planted tank. Well, as you can see from the pictures I have somewhat of an algae problem. Is this hair algae or spot algae or what?

It's been set up for two weeks now (it's a 29 gallon)... I have eco complete substrate, 130watt powercompact light, and co2. While I was gone, the lights and the co2 were on a timer and were on for 6 hours during the day. I haven't added any fertilizers yet, but I do have Greg Watson's fertilizers ready for use. My ph is around 6.8 and my kh is 5.0. I bought 10 shrimp today from a pet store to help with the algae.

So what should I do about this algae? Any suggestions/ideas/advice?
phishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

The first thing you do with any algae is clean it out of the tank and off of the plants. If any plants are heavily infested with algae it is best to prune away the algae. Then change at least 50% of the water and get the CO2 up to 30 ppm and fertilize adequately with NPK and traces. You are likely to battle some algae for quite awhile with that high a light intensity, so it would help to turn off half of the light until the algae is under control and you are dosing fertilizers steadily. Make or buy a drop checker - the Red Sea unit is only about $14, and works fine, but you need to use distilled water with a KH of 4 dKH in it, not tank water. Then you will know you have 30 ppm of CO2 in the water when the water in the drop checker is green.