New to Carnivorous Plants - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #16
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
Haha! No kidding! I can see myself having a rather large collection of fly traps and Sarracenia because all I have to do is water them outside. I'm already looking at ordering some fancy VFT cultivars online. Wanna get a few more miles under my belt with these guys before I put some serious money into them. Red dragons look so awesome!

I am keeping them all outside. I just moved them today to the sunniest part of my property; they will get about 8 hours of sun whereas they had been getting about 3 hours of morning sun where they were before. I didn't want to burn these plants as I'm assuming they came from greenhouses. I'm working on getting a small light rigged up for my drosera inside because I don't have a window that gets extended light. I'll probably bring them inside when I do.

I wish I didn't live on a hill so I could do a bog garden!
8 hours should be good enough to get the best growth out of them. The drosera can stay outside just fine. It will also get more food that way. Just bring it indoors during the winter.

I wish I had more backyard space so I could do a bog gardern. Hauling 20+ one gallon pots for winter dormancy is backbreaking!
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oh good. Glad to know I don't have to get on building that light stand right away. Time isn't something I have a lot to spare right now. But I know when I have a house in the future, it will have a bog garden! Forget normal plant beds! These guys are just too cool.

I was able to get some more Sarracenia from my local nursery. They all just had a name written on a pot. I searched online and believe I have come up with a species name for each. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Group shot! Some of them are a little floppy since they have been kept in partial shade for a couple weeks. You can also see the labels on some of the pots.

Was labeled as yellow trumpet, and I'm pretty sure it's S. flava.

Was labeled as what appeared to be TARNOX, but a little digging around came up with this plant as S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'. That one left me scratching my head for a bit as I know that common names aren't the easiest ways to ID... well anything.

Labeled as catesbaei and I presume it to be the flava x purpurea hybrid.

Labeled as Mardi gras, and I thought for sure they were pulling my leg on this one. But it's a complex ornamental hybrid (Sarracenia leucophylla x S. purpurea) x (S. leucophylla x S. psittacina). Again, just going off what I found online.

Kinda cute name with this one: doodle bug. It's an ornamental hybrid of alabamensis x psittacina apparently developed in NC (really curious where that nursery is because I might be able to visit it).

We had a HUGE rainstorm come through after I brought these guys home yesterday. I was able to fill up a couple of jugs with water. With luck our summer will be wet enough that I can just do that instead of buying distilled water.

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
the.koi.maiden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Nice finds! 'Doodle Bug' is indeed a complex hybrid that was developed at the University of North Carolina. There is a nursery in Raleigh (Plant Delights Nursery) that sells this particular hybrid, along with another 7-8 different species (including: Alabamensis ssp. Alabamensis, Oreophila, and other assorted hybrids). They do allow visits by appointment only. The endangered species they have for sale can be acquired through mail order to NC residents only, or they can be picked-up directly in person at their nursery.

Last edited by wastewater; 06-20-2013 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: sp. error ~ Plant Delights instead of Plants Delight
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #19
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Nice looking sarrs! I especially like the venation on that S. x catesbaei. Btw, S. leucophylla 'Tarnok' is famous for their strange looking flowers. Wait until next season and you might be able to see them flower.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #20
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

Thanks! Those sars are really growing on me. Those colors are just stunning, and they are already so large. That tarnok is probably by favorite just judging on color. I can't wait to see the flowers! I'm not so fond of the hooded ones so I only got the doodle bug (which was my favorite). The nursery also had scarlet belle and something that might have been ladies in waiting; I wasn't too sure as the writing was faded from sitting in the water for a while.

Oh! I looked up Plant Delights, and they are an easy drive for me (I'm just above the NC border)! They have open houses a couple of weekends in July. I want to get down there and check them out. I'd also like to see if I can get some of his Sars. His website lists a couple that I want like the redbug and maybe one of those endangered species.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #21
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.koi.maiden View Post
Thanks! Those sars are really growing on me. Those colors are just stunning, and they are already so large. That tarnok is probably by favorite just judging on color. I can't wait to see the flowers! I'm not so fond of the hooded ones so I only got the doodle bug (which was my favorite). The nursery also had scarlet belle and something that might have been ladies in waiting; I wasn't too sure as the writing was faded from sitting in the water for a while.

Oh! I looked up Plant Delights, and they are an easy drive for me (I'm just above the NC border)! They have open houses a couple of weekends in July. I want to get down there and check them out. I'd also like to see if I can get some of his Sars. His website lists a couple that I want like the redbug and maybe one of those endangered species.
You're lucky to have a place nearby that sells sarracenia other than the occasional "death cube". You should pick up a S. oreophila and S. alabamemsis. Both of them are vigorous growers.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

I do consider myself lucky. Not just because I live in a very similar climate to where these guys are found in the wild, but because of my proximity to great nurseries and other resources.

So I ended up joining Terraforums. Pretty neat site!!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #23
the.koi.maiden
Algae Grower

So I've been informed that a few of my friends are stalking this thread. Come out, lurkers!!! Anyway, I took some more pictures of my plants roughly a month later. The Sars are throwing up new pitchers after a couple of weeks of continuous rain and cloudy days. The flytraps are showing excellent growth!

All of my plants together in the sunniest part of my yard.

New growth on the Sarracenia flava. I can't wait for this guy to get huge!

The S. 'mardi gras' and S. 'doodle bug' in the background.

This is my Drosera. It could be a D. spathulata or maybe D. x tolkiensis. Any support either way would be appreciated. The poor thing took a beating in all of those heavy rainstorms (got 4 inches in one night) but they are looking up now!

Tags
nepenthes, sarracenia, venus flytrap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.