New Addition - German Blue Rams
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #1
jav31
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Addition - German Blue Rams

I was able to grab 6 German Blue Rams from my LFS relatively cheap. I was looking at four to add to my main Discus planted tank but took the six. So of course due to me getting them today their coloring has lessened but hopefully their time in QT will get their coloring back. I'm hoping that I received at least a pair out of the purchase. With that said, I was wondering if these pics will help determining the sex of these Rams.

One thing though, they had no issue chowing down on some flakes a few hours after being in the QT.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374029050.042872.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	176178

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374029066.214452.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	176194
jav31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

I can't help ya with the sexing, but they look thin. I'd try and bulk them up some while theyre in QT.

Best of luck getting your pair!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
jav31
Algae Grower

I was thinking the same, they do look thin. I was watching them for a couple weeks to see how they would fair at the LFS. Going forward, I plan on buying from members.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

They are very very thing, feed them blood worms they love those and it will bulk the up quite a bit faster than flake food. Also, the only way to sex german blue rams is by there stomach. Much Ike convict cichlids, the females have a red stomach. And the males do not. Here is a i true of my breeding pair I sold not to long ago to a chap in oregon.

Notice the female in the top right corner and her red stomach

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
jav31
Algae Grower

After looking at various German Blue Rams photos, mine are thin! I hope these 6 plump up and are healthy. I fed them some FD bloodworms before I left for work today.

They're also acting really skittish when I approach the tank so I hope they get used to me in the next couple days. I hate seeing them run into the sides. I'm going to cover the sides tonight to help alleviate this.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Another way to sex GBRs is to look for irridescent blue spots over the large black spot in the center of their body. A male will have a solid black spot while a female with show irridescent blue spots over the large black spot.

Females GBRs will not always display a pink stomach, so this is another reliable method for sexing.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I've had male german blues with the iridescent over there black spot. Weird. And I'm sure they were males because they gave me a couple clutches.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I agree that the pink belly is the surest way to ID females, but I have noticed that females don't always show it, like when they are stressed at the LFS, so I use the black spot method too. It sounds like that's not totally definitive though from your experience, though.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Nt going from anyone else's experience here just myne guys. All the females I have ever had have always had the pink belly. While I can attest they also had the iridescent blue on the black spot I have had many males have the same iridescence on the black spot, and knowing they were male because of optioned off spring I have always relied on the pink belly.. Then ago when a store gets a shipment in I wait a week for them to adjust too there tanks before I buy any to make sure there healthy

Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

There are a few ways to sex GBRs, as previously mentioned:

1. pink stomach on female
2. black spot missing "jewels" on a male (although I have a male right now that has those jewels at the edge of his black spots, but does not have a pink stomach)
3. the black on the pectoral fins (sometimes quite pronounced on females)
4. the dorsal rays. Males typically have a couple of their dorsal rays, the 2nd/3rd IIRC, that are much longer than the others. And by much longer, I mean that: one of my males has his so long that they are laying over top of a few other rays.
5. Shape of the head. Males will typically have rounder/snubbed noses while females have elongated heads.

With that being said, just using one of the above to sex a GBR is not a good idea, although the pink stomachs have been the easiest for me --> the sub-dominant females still have some pink speckling on their stomachs IME.

Have fun with them! They are fun to watch. You may even get a pair to form while in the QT and they might hoard/take control of the clay pot, so keep an eye out
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
jav31
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these fish. Love their personalities and coloring.

I did wrap the QT last night because they been skittish when I approach the tank. Any idea how long that lasts?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

In my opinion, these fish love and thrive in heavily plants streams. Being that the tank is bare right now for the quarantine, they have no where to hide, and no where to call there own territory. Wen they get transferred to your other tank, hopefully planted with tones of hiding spots and ways to weave in and out of the plants, they will establish there territory's and start coming out more. My gbr were the same way when I qt them before I threw them in my 55. Once I threw them in after a couple days I would see them more and more. It just takes time for them to get used to there surroundings, and by nature they're not comfortable in the qt tank.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #13
jav31
Algae Grower

Very well put... I totally see what you're saying. Attached is a picture of my main discus tank they're going into after QT. They should love it.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374204320.152823.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	177001
Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #14
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I love the green temple, I've been trying to plant it in the right spot in my tank for weeks now, the leaves are so broad it always looks out of place, what is the plant to the left of the driftwood it's pretty. Your tank looks very good, I love the discus.

They should love it, open water plants and there favorite, a cave haha

Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

There are several hybrids of Green Temple with smaller leaves that might fit better in your specific tank. A great plant to have and a healty speciment makes a great focal point.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2