NEW LED Lights - 5 modes
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Marty
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

NEW LED Lights - 5 modes

Howdy,

Since this is my first post on this forum, I figured I'd introduce myself a little here. Planted tanks have always fascinated me and I was always fascinated by the masterpiece tanks that float around the net. I used to have various aquariums when I was younger, but nothing amazing, no CO2 or amazing aquascapes...my obsession was always jungle related...reptiles, amphibians, jungle travel, insects, etc. I'm into the dart frog hobby where we're trying to take the environment building to the next level. Crappy environments don't really do it for me, like crappy aquariums don't do it for many of you. It was always about taking it to the next level. I love growing miniature orchids, mosses, ferns, etc trying to make the environment as amazing as possible. In many aspects planted tanks are similar to the naturalistic vivarium. I run a company that specializes in Misting Systems for the hobby, we service ZOOs, botanical gardens, etc. I run few forums as well, one about orchids, one about geckos, vivaria, frogs, etc. At any rate, lights was something that never impressed me in the herp hobby, everyone is always trying to grow amazing plants, but under crappy lights they just don't thrive, as you all know that as well. Put crappy lights on your planted tank and the tank...tanks!

Basically if I can grow orchids and make mosses green at few feet away, you'll be able to grow any plants in your tanks. I am growing under these lights right now and not sure if you guys get off on stuff that I get off of in the dart frog hobby, but things like the stuff below are pretty cool for me

• dawn/sunrise/day/evening/night modes that can be controlled as far as intensity of each LED and timing for each
  • 6500K and 96W of LED
  • Remote Controlled operated and fully programmable
  • Lightning mode - it's super awesome, LOL
  • Cloud mode, that simulates movement of clouds in front of the sun
  • You can also link multiple lights and have them run in Master/Slave mode where the master light controls multiple lights below it. This way sunrise happens in all the tanks as per program of the master light

I'm not sure if this will violate the rules on this forum, so I'm not posting links to my site or the lights. If it's against the rules or if sponsorship is required first, please let me know.

at any rate, I'm planning on diving into planted tanks, I want to make either a planted black water angel or discus tank, but for now I'll leave you guys with few pics of one of my dart frog vivariums.

This btw, is not moss, it's terrestrially grown riccia that's misted several times daily.

little water area in the vivarium

here's one of the occupants

pods getting grown in with riccia

and here's the tank few months later

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-18-2013 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: No solicitation outside the for sale subsection.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
Tzac
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is beautiful!
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

gorgeous growth... beautiful frog!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

You should post a for sale thread in the FS/trading subforum with your website and more info! Many of us would be interested in seeing what you have to offer
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hey there fellow Ontarionian. Im from Toronto and Im just as active on GTAA (GTA Aquaria forum).

Your tank is amazing. I just love the colours, wetness and the whole tropical jungle feel. I really wanted to get one, but 1 tank is enough to keep me busy

Is there a link to your led site? Ive been thinking about getting a custom made fixture from buildmyled, but before I do I wouldnt mind looking around before committing.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

96w of LED must be nuts. A 24" Finnex Ray 2 is really bright, and its 20w. I'd love to see some PAR data on these.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

In your FS thread, just ask people to PM you or give an email you can be reached at. Then, if they want a link to the video, you can send it via PM or email!
Looks like an incredible fixture! Good luck on your venture into planted tanks!
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
Marty
Algae Grower

also since I couldn't place a link there, here's a youtube video of the lightning effect

Just note: that the light doesn't produce sound it's just added to the video for a bit of drama. It's also running with a misting system. it's running on a vivarium, sorry don't have any aquarium videos

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-18-2013 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: No links to for sales threads nor to your sales/product website
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
Marty
Algae Grower

Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Now that's a light! Whats the spectrum of the colored LEDs? I am guessing 660nm, 470nm, 525nm, and 2700k for the yellow?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
Marty
Algae Grower

more info here, the 40W white LEDs are the important ones, the small LEDs are just for effect and don't really contribute to plant growth

Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
xiaoxiy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quick question about it's programmability.

Can the different modes be set to a timer, or is it more like the current USA satellite+ LED Remote controller?

Xiaoxi
xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Marty
Algae Grower

Yes, you can set the duration of each time mode and it will repeat daily. Basically the programming works this way:
1. First program the current time of the day,
2. Set the start time for the light cycle
2. Then set how long each mode will run for (from 1-24hrs). You don't actually have to occupy all 24hrs, see example below

ie. Start at 6am
Dawn - 2hrs (that will make it end at 8am)
Sunrise - 2hrs (that will make it end at 10am)
Day Light - 6hrs (that will make it end at 4pm)
Evening - 4hrs (that will make it end at 8pm)
Night - 5 hrs (that cycle will end at 1am)
From 1am until 8am the lights will be off

basically you stack the times for each mode on top of each other
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Marty
Algae Grower

Of course you transition gently from one timing to another so the light never turns on or off abruptly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.