Rballi's 125 [rescape 4/17] - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #61
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Added 5 painted fire red shrimp, and some really nice cherries from my work tank. Still need to gather some stone for the hardscape and plant this thing before I put any more animals in here. By then, hopefully the cherries will start getting established.

I am kind of thinking about with my original plan and adding a nice group of apistos instead of the geo's...

Will be looking for some nice wild-type angels after adding a large school of rummynose or cardinals...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #62
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New scape, I think this will stay...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372317667.879610.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	165593
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #63
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some new pics. Got some plants in today...c. Undulata "red", wendtii green, and tropica. S. repens and a TON of needle leaf java fern. Will be ordering a bunch of a. Coffeefolia.

[IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/rballi/ScreenShot2013-07-10at101338PM.png[/IMGhttp://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/DSC_7857.mp4
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #64
TheFrenchOne
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great scape! I love it.
TheFrenchOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #65
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Better shot with all the lights on. The previous ones are with just the LEDs...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373605104.916505.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	173905
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #66
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks great. I saw a large A. coffeefolia yesterday at neptunes. 6 or so inches.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #67
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

great looking scape

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #68
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looks great. I saw a large A. coffeefolia yesterday at neptunes. 6 or so inches.
I places an order for 20 plants through firedupaquatics.net

Some guy has been advertising on Craigslist and started this site. I guess they are based in Golden and got me a really good price. Do you remember how much it was?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #69
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice looking set up! Here are a couple things that might help you out in the future.

1: If you can, hang your lighting rather than fixing it to the canopy, that'll let you adjust the distance to water's surface should you ever want or need more intensity.

2: 125's aren't tall enough for Altums. A full sized adult can have a finspan of over a foot and 18 inches (minus substrate) isn't really enough room for them to spread their wings. Wild type Scalare may be a better choice for the long haul. With all that sand, discus would be happy in there too.

3: If you're going to have a lot of epiphytes on that wood a water mover pushing a current behind it will help keep fresh water circulating around the roots. I've found Anubias in particular appreciate that a lot and it'll help keep detritus from settling down in places you can't get to.

Hope this helps!

Cories! Get a lot of Cories! I bet they'll love it in there and spawn like crazy.

Looking forward to seeing how this tank matures. You've got an eye for detail that will serve you well.

Cheers,
Phil
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #70
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Nice looking set up! Here are a couple things that might help you out in the future.

1: If you can, hang your lighting rather than fixing it to the canopy, that'll let you adjust the distance to water's surface should you ever want or need more intensity.

2: 125's aren't tall enough for Altums. A full sized adult can have a finspan of over a foot and 18 inches (minus substrate) isn't really enough room for them to spread their wings. Wild type Scalare may be a better choice for the long haul. With all that sand, discus would be happy in there too.

3: If you're going to have a lot of epiphytes on that wood a water mover pushing a current behind it will help keep fresh water circulating around the roots. I've found Anubias in particular appreciate that a lot and it'll help keep detritus from settling down in places you can't get to.

Hope this helps!

Cories! Get a lot of Cories! I bet they'll love it in there and spawn like crazy.

Looking forward to seeing how this tank matures. You've got an eye for detail that will serve you well.

Cheers,
Phil
I appreciate the feedback!

I wanted to do an open top on this tank but we have 2 small kids and my wife didn't want them getting any fun ideas down the road about throwing stuff in there or whatever.

The cool thing about this canopy is that the lights are hung from inside so I can still adjust the light intensity!

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374068358.262837.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	176346

I decided against Altums a while back as I don't want to deal with RO also. Wild types though is definitely on the stocking list!

Here is my most current vision:

6-8 apistogramma (maybe cacs or borelli, need to see what I can find for a reasonable price)
5-6 wild angels
4-5 bristlenose
~12 panda cories
100-120 rummynose

Should be getting all that anubias in this afternoon. I was planning on getting a couple circulation pumps as my returns are the corners, but actually generate quite a bit of current. As the tank fills in I will need some reinforcement there...
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #71
miwoodar
Algae Grower

Russell, I wish you lived a little closer. I was bummed to learn that Centennial extends all the way to Kansas!

I have a box of salad.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #72
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwoodar View Post
Russell, I wish you lived a little closer. I was bummed to learn that Centennial extends all the way to Kansas!
Yeah, it is out here a ways...though I work in the DTC so it makes me a bit more centrally located if need be..
Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #73
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwoodar View Post

there are a few of us close together, and the rest spread all over the state lol.
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #74
miwoodar
Algae Grower

I live near chatfield rez. I'm new to the hobby - looking forward to meeting more planted geeks and seeing the local tanks in person.

I have a box of salad.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #75
rballi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got my anubias in yesterday and I really like how it complements everything this far. Stuff needs to grow in and I might want to put a few more rhizomes in there as well.

I moved a couple of branches around and moved the needle leaf more towards the back.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374161540.641628.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	176777