Well... Let's just try this again. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

They're some of my favorites as well. My aim for this tank is a combination of two things; keep a school of pencilfish, and add oddball fish. Pipefish, twig cat, goby, and colorchanging betta are the oddballs I have right now. I'm gonna have get some algae-eating gobies fairly soon to add to the mix!
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Took advantage of a sale and got myself some new fish. I ended up coming home with:
Two albino four regular glowlight tetras
One dark blue female betta
Two male Endler's livebearers (will add 4 females soon)
And a small bristlenose pleco.

I've only managed to get a photo of the Endlers, the others are either hiding or moving too fast.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #18
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Just went to another store I like, and came back with some really nice stuff. Unfortunately, I can only upload one photo at the moment:

This is a Stiphodon sp. goby, an algae-eater. He's pale because he's stressed, they get nice and dark when they calm down. This species has an odd habit when scared: They dash randomly around, then launch themselves several inches out of the water and stick themselves to the nearest hard surface with their pectoral fins. I really don't know what the point of it is, other than to get them stuck out of water.

I also ended up with two sunset dwarf gouramis, quite possibly a male and a female. One of them hid in a bunch of plants I'd stuck in the acclimation bucket, and after I put the plants back in the tank, I saw him swimming around in there. Silly thing.
My other new fish are a peacock gudgeon and two Bluefin killifish, which are impossible to find anywhere but here!
The place I go to for unusual freshwater fish occasionally gets gobies, darters, or Bluefin killies in with their feeder shrimp, and when they do, they put them in their plant sale tank. Usually they don't sell them as it's nearly impossible to get them out without making a huge mess, but as I'm a fairly regular customer and promised not to mess it up, they let me give it a try. It wasn't very easy, but I did manage to catch the killies. Only $2.50 each for fish that I can't get anywhere else! Bargain! And next time, I'm gonna try to get some of those darters.

One of my new killies.

Wild-variety sunset dwarf gourami

Peacock gudgeon

Not sure what you call him, but he's a different variety of sunset dwarf gourami.

The java fern that gourami hid in.

Last edited by Betta132; 07-14-2013 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Adding photos
Old 07-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Having told by someone on another site that I'm going too fast, I won't be getting any more fish for a little while. Plants, yeah, but not fish.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #20
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

+1

You are also mixing up some interesting fish, expect some to become food. Tetras need a school, and 4 ain't it. Gouramies and betas usually do not do well together. And you could certainly use more plants

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

I know tetras need a school, and if you look, there's two albino glowlights and four regular ones. They all school together, they don't care about color, and in fact they're schooling with the pencilfish.
I forgot to mention, I traded the gold gourami for the killifish after I saw him trying to eat my bettas.
I'm keeping a close eye on everybody for any signs that someone's about to become a meal. The only fish who could possibly be a threat is the Sulawesi goby, and aside from flaring his fins at the cories when they get too close, he shows no signs of any sort of aggression.
I was a little apprehensive about the gouramis, but the bettas don't mind them at all. There was a lot of circling and a little bit of flaring when they were first introduced, but they quit after about ten minutes and there's no sign of aggression between them at all. In fact, I see them just swim right past eachother, and even the boss betta doesn't flare.
I have some plants coming in the mail today, and I'm going to be getting more fairly soon when I check out a new fish store. I just want to scout the place out, I don't plan on getting anything except some plants and maybe a nice piece of driftwood, plus another filter, as I've been told that I should probably have twice the filtration I do.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
gt turbo
Planted Member

I was also concerned about the amount and type of fish you were putting into your 65G but I'm glad someone pointed it out and you took heed. The real problem is that even if you added more filtration you aren't giving your good bacteria a chance to catch up with the seemingly ever increasing fish bio-load.

Also your use of animal carcasses scares me a little, but truth be told that probably as close to the fishes natural habitat as on could really come. Well looking at it subjectively.

Looking forward to seeing this tank grow.
gt turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #23
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

The new fish are all very small, none over an inch long except that goby and he's really slender, so none of them are a huge bio-load. Just to make sure, I'm changing 30% of the water twice a week.
Don't worry about the dead things... The bones are all coated in acrylic, with the exception of that random rib, which was found perfectly clean in a river and cleaned again just in case. Actually, I might be adding more bones pretty soon... I collect bones and skeletons, so I have plenty.
I just got my plants in the mail, and the tank is now plus six cryptowhatevers, three dwarf subulata plants, eight non-dwarf sagittaria subulata, a big hunk of java fern, and nearly half a cubic foot of hornwort. The fish are all investigating the new things, and seem to enjoy it. Also, the goby tried to eat my fingernail when I was planting the stuff. Silly thing.
And the twig catfish almost got planted when he didn't move out of the way and I didn't see him. Either he's dumber than I thought, or he turns like a muscle car on ice. Probably both.
Has anyone else noticed that twig catfish fail at being fish? They can't swim very well, they can't turn worth a darn, and all they can really do to get around is pull themselves around with their mouths. It's like some wizard was turning a stick into a fish and stopped halfway through.

Tags
crash, endler's, pencilfish, schools, twig catfish