The New Guy (7.5gal journal)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi there...I'm new to the forum. What a great place to see and talk about planted tanks. After many disasters...mostly related to my stupid stupid desire to keep a planted discus tank(I think I'm a barebottom believer now), I've given up on discus for a while and decided to go with the combination of planted tanks and guppies.

Here's the 7.5 gal AGA bowfront that I started on Jan 9th. I didn't like the distortion from the bow, so I turned it around backwards to make a flat front. Ghetto huh? It's a bit cloudy...especially after I stupidly added some fertilizer, but it's clearing up now.

Substrate is nothing fancy: Sand with laterite covered with some small gravel

Lighting is 14 watts plus near the window, as you can see from the curving barcopa. I'm using a zoo-med 5500K bulb.

Occupatants: 2 ghost shrimp and 1 "feeder" guppy.

Plants: The barcopa are cuttings from the floating mass in my 55 gal, the acorus was just added and the java fern and what little java moss that are in the tank were salvaged from the 7.5gal which had left derelict for nearly a year. That stuff can sure survive.

No CO2, but I could possibly try the Hagen...don't know if it's worth the trouble with that little lighting.

Any suggestions/comments?
Wezsh0T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 08:40 AM   #2
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

Here's the tank after 9 days on 1-18-04. Green acorus added. The barcopa seems to be doing pretty good, but also prefers the window to the fixed lighting.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

Pumpkinseed Sunfish in my algae infested 55gal. 2 yr old amazon sword that somehow manages to survive in the background...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

Another pic of Fishface...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #5
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

before disaster struck, this was my tank...the tank had been going for 1.5 months with just plants. After I got my discus, I think I over-reacted when I thought they were sick. That was a dumb mistake that I will never repeat.

The barcopa, amazon sword, java ferns and java moss all survived. The discus and otos did not.

After the "great disaster" I could never get rid of cyanobacteria, which strangely started after using things like phosguard and polyfilter. Eventually, when the tank lay fallow for about 8 months, the cyanobacteria died away. Now I have a bunch of "mossy" looking algae along with small BBAs that seem to compete for tank space. The amazon sword continues to thrive regardless, and the Sunfish doesn't care. I recently purchased a bushy-nose pleco to try to get rid of the stuff, but I think it just hides because its afraid of the Pumpkinseed. Then again, I've read that ancinstrus are pretty reclusive.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

My barcopa is in a huge clumped mass floating...since I'm back in the saddle, I decided to try take clippings and try to estable a rooted colony.

As you can see, algae loves this tank. In some odd way, it looks decent.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That pumpkinseed is a pretty fish. I bet he's a messy eater, though, and definitely a huge part of your algae problem. What are your nutrient levels? (NO3 and PO4, primarily)
The new 7.5g looks neat. I like the plastic driftwood piece. They are making stuff a lot more realistic these days.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
mad about fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

that fsh is beutiful even if it is whats making your algae problem
mad about fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezsh0T
Here's the tank after 9 days on 1-18-04. Green acorus added. The barcopa seems to be doing pretty good, but also prefers the window to the fixed lighting.
Isn't Acorus a terrestrial plant only suited for terrariums?

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

SCMurphy,

Yep, from what I've read. Eventually it's just gonna melt from being fully submerged. Dwarf hairgrass would make the ideal substitute though, since it looks very similar, stays small, and makes a great looking carpet (might take awhile to do so).
Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #11
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

Hmmm...my guidebook must be wrong. It's "Aquarium Plants" by Barry James (Tetrapress)

Characteristics: A slow-growing plant with handsome dark green spiky leaves in fan-shaped clumps. The roots are very tough and wiry.

Aquarium use: This moisture-loving plant is suitable for growing submerged in the aquarium. It thrives at the lower end of the recommended temperature range but does reasonably well in tropical aquariums.

I guess I'll find out soon enough...Thanks for the heads up.

Gulfcoast: Yeah...it's plastic, but it actually looks decent. My hope is that it will eventually be enfulfed in java moss and java fern, being indistinguishable from the real thing.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:05 AM   #12
Wezsh0T
Algae Grower

Wow...I hadn't tested my water in like 2 years since my discus disaster. Phosphates and nitrates were off the charts.

I've been doing 20% bi-weekly water changes, but I guess it's time to up that...

Phosphates >3mg/L
Nitrates >110mg/L

No wonder algae loves it in my tank...