Aquarium Depot aka The Aquarium Center - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maryland

Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
daguruvjt

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to daguruvjt Send a message via AIM to daguruvjt Send a message via MSN to daguruvjt Send a message via Yahoo to daguruvjt

I've found that the Aquarium Center's service depends soley on when you go. In the middle of the day on a Saturday afternoon, the store can be very crowded and that affects service levels. The staff seems to range from young kids whose main job is to just dip out fish and plants, to older folk who tend to know a bit more. In my opinion the prices tend to vary widely; some of the dry goods are a bit overpriced. The staff on the "dry" side of the store tends to be very attentive even on busy days. If you are a hobbyist on a budget, hit their website and sign up for their mailing list. The Aquarium Center has a clearance sale once or twice a year and it is a very good sale! Get there early (there was a line the time I went) and you can snag some real bargains.
daguruvjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #17
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)

If you're going to Aquarium Center ask for Gloria. She's the nicest and most helpful employee they've got.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #18
Goldfishcrazy11
Algae Grower

What happened?!? I called today to see if they had a certain fish in stock and the message was "we are sorry but Aquarium Center is closed for buisness. Aquarium Depot will be opening again in the middle of March."

What happened?!? Did it go out of buisness?!? There website won't even come up... It says "thanks for your patronage for the past 25 years".

20g- 3 American Flagfish, 1 Bristlenose Pleco

29g- 6 Glowlight Tetras, 1 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, 1 Apistogramma cacatuoides pair, 1 Albino Corydoras Catfish
Plants: Echinodorus amazonicus, Mayaca fluviatilis, Vallisneria, Alternanthera reineckii, Microsorum pteropus, Rotala indica, Echinodorus parviflorus

90g- 1 Shubunkin Goldfish, 1 Sarasa Common Goldfish, 2 Common Goldfish

http://goldfishcrazy.tripod.com/home.html
Goldfishcrazy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2007, 05:56 AM   #19
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (247/100%)

From what I have heard the old owner went under, it was bought out and will reopen on the 2nd. Hopefully better then before
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #20
Goldfishcrazy11
Algae Grower

March 2nd?

20g- 3 American Flagfish, 1 Bristlenose Pleco

29g- 6 Glowlight Tetras, 1 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, 1 Apistogramma cacatuoides pair, 1 Albino Corydoras Catfish
Plants: Echinodorus amazonicus, Mayaca fluviatilis, Vallisneria, Alternanthera reineckii, Microsorum pteropus, Rotala indica, Echinodorus parviflorus

90g- 1 Shubunkin Goldfish, 1 Sarasa Common Goldfish, 2 Common Goldfish

http://goldfishcrazy.tripod.com/home.html
Goldfishcrazy11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #21
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfishcrazy11 View Post
March 2nd?
Sometime in March. The old owner was going bankrupt. They are changing the name to avoid incurring any more debt under the old name.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 AM   #22
ultasol
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Any word on this? I am visiting the MD area, near DC, tomorrow for a day
ultasol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
jgreg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't bother. This used to be one of the better places for dried goods (and fish a while back) but when I was there a couple of weeks ago it was barren. The fish are the same. I personally go to exotic aquatics when I am in the area. Better stock and prices. Just my .02.
jgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

Technically Aquarium Center no longer exists. The previous owner went bankrupt and sold the place. It is now Aquarium Depot, but from the sound of things they are still getting things back in order. It'll take some time to bounce back from the pit it has become. Hopefully one day it will be back to its former glory.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #25
jcali10
Algae Grower

I go there about once a month at least. I have noticed improvements. The place is restocking nicely. They have more merchandise on hand now. The selection of fish looks very good. I went to buy some plants the weekend before last and there was hardly anything there to choose from. I think they just happened to be sold out, as it was late Sunday afternoon. I know of no other place I'd rather patronize. Also, they are less than 15 minutes away for me. Petsmarts and Petcos just dont do it for me.
jcali10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #26
6t5Goat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default Is this place closing?

Is this place closing?

I just got back from there and I have never seen so many empty tanks...

The dry goods shelves were pretty bare as well!
6t5Goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #27
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (247/100%)

Its a recession
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #28
PaulThePlanter
Algae Grower

i've been a long time Aquarium center/depot patron and have noticed their fluctuations in the service, but definitley ask for gloria dave or george they know how to treat customers, even though im only 15 they know im a good patron and have recognized me and helped me pleanty of times before, also for Excellent service and quality and price check out exotic aquatics, they are amazing and have a larger stock...just my 2 cents
Old 11-17-2009, 04:28 AM   #29
hbosman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

In Northern Virginia, there isn't much except Petcos and Petsmarts so, I drive 64 miles every now and then to Aquarium Depot. It looks like they are moving things around to to do some renovation. I bought 7 Cardinal Tetras there and 5 days later I haven't had any mortalities. I can't say that for Cardinals that I've bought at Pet Smart. I would lose half the first night. Alot of times the plants don't look to healthy but, they are still the best I have found in the area. For plants, it's better to wait for a GWAPA meeting, for fish, I guess it's still Aquarium Depot.
hbosman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #30
steve_dowg2001
Algae Grower

+1 about asking for gloria also ask for george he owns his own fish store called Deep blue tropicals in Hampstead maryland.Hes going threw tuff times soo his store is still open but hes working at Aquarium Depot right now. Kinda sucks for him =/ but hes a good guy.
steve_dowg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.