1.1g no-tech 'Planted Whimsy' in a Vase ---> April 2014 Update + PICs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

1.1g no-tech 'Planted Whimsy' in a Vase ---> April 2014 Update + PICs

I got a serious case of envy looking at all those cute 'planted tanks in a cup'.

Not to be left behind, on June 11, 2013 I put on my urban combat gear and braved a recon to Michael's behind the DMZ. The minor annoyances of a drive-by, an attempted mugging, and an unpleasant face-on meeting with a lamp post aside, I safely made it to the home base. With my trophy:

Nope, that is not a cup of Starbucks.
That's my prize + used AS Africana 'sand' + water.
(What a joke! I bet the "Sub-Saharan dust" got nixed by the marketing rain-makers in lieu of a more yen-producing moniker).

Using a filter was a bit impractical: that glass thing is about 1.1g...
Set back number 1. Um, tried a WC. No difference. Tried another one with the same results - just too much dust. Time to switch gears and do something less disgusting, namely, go through a RAOK I just received:

Maybe I'd better go back to the original problem. While hand-picking duckweed, anything yellow or hairy, and other unspeakables (finally got to try out my HazMat outfit) I entertain an unlikely idea: maybe those dirt folks only look 'strange'. Out comes some fired clay granules from hydrophyte and cap I do. Now on a roll, I repossess my son's desk lamp, collect some greens, and some reluctant volunteers, and Viola!

Over the next couple of weeks that vessel serves as dumping ground for clippings, dead things, and some random household hardware.

No water changes, no ferts, no heater, no filter, no food.

Today, my conscience made a rare appearance. A 20% WC, actually planting the plants, and whipping off my fingerprints yields something semi-presentable.

The next problem is where to hide the darn thing. After a fruitless search for 1 sq. ft. of empty, level, and unclaimed space I finally evict my younger one from my desk: the computer, the books, underwear, junk food left overs, my long-lost flashlight and and a traffic ticket I have never seen. Success:

I hide my son's desk lamp and slap on a Deep Blue Solar Flare Mini 6,700K LED, all 3 watts of it. Not too bad. Will the plants survive? We will find out soon enough.

[Being a klatz, I did drop the light into the vase: LED first and plugged in. Just once, honest. The light still works.]

The current prisoners are 2 brown Ram's Horn snails, freebies from our local PetSmart, Sam and Bill. Once I figure out which is which and who is M and who is F and who is undecided, the names might change. Posthumously. Too bad I gave away my RCS, the ones that stayed behind got processed by my betas.

Last edited by OVT; 04-29-2014 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: added April 2014 pics
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
All your base
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice container, and I appreciate your writing style. Can't wait to see chapter 2 (and beyond).
All your base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
JLD
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Bill the pony is unfairly ignored in the movies.
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Very nice!
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
RobertWW
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

hah, nice story and the tank looks great!
RobertWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

The solar flare is a great light. Love the vase and I tell ya I braved michaels to. I'm not the michaels kind of guy so I was paranoid that loss prevention was never to far away from watching and waiting.. Thinking this guy is gonna smuggle that 12" bowl out of here in his pants. Nope I waited in the check out smelling various smelly things there. I'll be ordering online never time. Looks good though man
Old 07-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

Very nice.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
OVT
Carpe Diem

Default 2-week update

2 weeks went by and the vase is looking good to me.
The biggest news is the new inhabitants: 2 Endlers and 1 baby beta. One of the 2 Ramshorn snails was re-located to greener pastures.

The light is on from ~6pm to ~ 6am - my regular night light!

Te back view:

The baby:

Endlers:

OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #9
Padraig Pearse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thumbs up

Looking good.
Padraig Pearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (432/100%)

Really enjoy following this journal.

Looking forward to the next update, OVT.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
OVT
Carpe Diem

Default 2 month update

The 2-month anniversary was celebrated with candles and an extra 1/32nd of a shrimp pellet. The celebration was overshadowed by the discovery of ~6 baby snails. Apparently, either Sam or Bill (or both) earned to become a mother. The possibility of kids being adopted was discounted out of hand given that nearest pond is ~3' away overland and is firmly ruled by 6 loaches. The kids made a short trip to The Puffer Room accompanied by either Sam or Bill. We certainly hope that the remaining snail is either Sam or Bill, and not Monique. That would preclude additional evictions and would finally bring the dormitory under male management. The remaining snail was demoted to the Window Cleaner.

The rest of the population, namely the 2 Endlers and the female beta are alive and well. The Endlers do the time by chasing each other with occasional bump into a sleeping beta. That never fails to earn a nuggie.

It only took the Three Musketeers a couple of weeks to recognize my presence (some humans take a lifetime) outside. The event results in an instant transformation into the "Me Generation": every man (and girl) for himself. On the rare occasions when my divine appearance is rudely ignored, a slight tap on the glass brings the muts front and center, each improbably occupying one of the three physical dimensions of the same spot (the loner Sam or Bill is still in frustrating training).

Whoever sold me Dwarf Lettuce is a swindler and a fiend (sorry H4n). The mutation is hard to hide:

This droid is not that far behind (same black-market sourcing):

The vase did undergo some minor trimming, with Stargrass and Miyaca being cut to size. Rotala does not move and inch. The floaters are multiplying daily. A clamp of riccia fluitans was dumped in for added ambiance. A 30% WC completed the upgrade.

In full 1.1g glory:

The bonus shot (right side):

Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Awesome, looks like everything is coming in well for a no tech vase I wish my no tech stuff looked as good as yours.

I have a question about that solar flare light, where are you attaching it? Does the suction cup hold it to the vase?

I just got one myself and it is a pain to keep attached to a curved surface, it always wants to jump into the vase.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
OVT
Carpe Diem

Thanks. The light is attached with the suction cup to the back of the vase. Pretty solid grip. Did you remove the protective plastic from the cup?

v2
Old 08-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Ok you caught me, the first couple of times I didnt realize there was a plastic. I think my bowl is curved too much, its an old fish bowl almost a sphere, and the suction cup doesnt want to hold on.

I'll try again tonight seeing as you got yours to stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Thanks. The light is attached with the suction cup to the back of the vase. Pretty solid grip. Did you remove the protective plastic from the cup?

v2
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #15
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Betta looks super happy, nice tank. I really like the colour of the purple light, I wonder how much Par that is.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, pico, planted vase, vase