Easiest/fastest to clean (canister) filter for large tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Another recommendation for the 2075. Prefilter is top rack and easy to clean.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #17
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldStringham View Post
I have seen pictures of the old problematic lids and mine actually have far more rigid plastic support. I will take a picture if I get a chance. I have never had any issue. I know they also replaced the o-rings with the correct size ones.
Are there any mods to rigidize the lid more?
shrimpNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Do a google search for gunner and cfs500 I know he has used some sort of plywood support or something like that. To be honest with you though I wouldn't worry about it I have 3 one of which is nearly 2 years old and has never had a leak. I don't baby it either I am not even concerned.
GeraldStringham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #19
brogan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would get whatever filter you want, but then add a sponge prefilter on you intake. Just rinse it out every time you do a water change. I am always amazed at how much gunk comes out of the sponge after only a week!

This will reduce how often you need to break down your canister (I do it every 6 months now)
brogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
GeraldStringham
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan View Post
I would get whatever filter you want, but then add a sponge prefilter on you intake. Just rinse it out every time you do a water change. I am always amazed at how much gunk comes out of the sponge after only a week!

This will reduce how often you need to break down your canister (I do it every 6 months now)
Brogan I think that is a great recommendation but what size or density sponge do you use? I can see a sponge quickly reducing flow to the filter. Especially the higher flow canister filter you would need for a tank the size of the OP's.
GeraldStringham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #21
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Fluval G6. I change the pre-filter each week. Takes 2 minutes.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
The easiest I used were nuclear filters run with a external pump and used with unions and filter drains.
I second this. Nu-Clear canisters are great heavy duty filters. A little more complicated to initial install than a regular canister, but if you set them up with the
right plumbing from the start they are very quick and easy to maintain.

I keep a spare pleated cartridge on hand. When it's time to clean, I just remove the old cartridge and replace with the spare. I then toss the old cartridge in a bucket with a dilute bleach solution, let it soak overnight, rinse a few times to get rid of the residual bleach, let it dry and then it's ready for the next cartridge swap.

The other nice thing about this setup is that the biofiltration is in a separate canister so you don't have to worry about disturbing it too much when cleaning your mechanical filtration.

the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.