Nitrates... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (39/100%)

I replaced the purigen I had in there. So I'm going to do another water change later and see how that does. And re test the nitrates and post n here again.

There is alot of plants in the tank so how it wouldn't be able to keep up with the nitrate being produced doesn't add up

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #17
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I meant the last water change before yesterday.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #18
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Oh haha I'm sorry, last Saturday I did a 25% water change

Old 07-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
Dolfan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't think it is your filter as someone suggested. Filters don't filter out nitrate anyways, they create nitrate by converting ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. So if anything, it shows you filter is doing it's job.

I think it may be nitrates in your source water. Do a full water test (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) on your source water that you use for that tank. Odds are it may be going in already high, then your filter and beneficial bacteria are adding to that number to make it go even higher.

Another thought, maybe there is something hidden that is dead/decaying that you are not seeing, like some dead shrimp hidden in foliage of the plants. Maybe something under the substrate that is leaching out into the water like dead plants roots.

Last suggestion would be to have your water tested at LFS to see what their tests say. Maybe you have a bad test kit for whatever reason. I know you said it wasn't expired. It could have been contaminated or compromised some other way, who knows. Good to have an outside source check to see if they get same results. Maybe bring a sample of your source water and one of your tank water. Petsmart and Petco along with other places will test your water for free.
Dolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #20
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
I don't think it is your filter as someone suggested. Filters don't filter out nitrate anyways, they create nitrate by converting ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. So if anything, it shows you filter is doing it's job.

I think it may be nitrates in your source water. Do a full water test (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) on your source water that you use for that tank. Odds are it may be going in already high, then your filter and beneficial bacteria are adding to that number to make it go even higher.

Another thought, maybe there is something hidden that is dead/decaying that you are not seeing, like some dead shrimp hidden in foliage of the plants. Maybe something under the substrate that is leaching out into the water like dead plants roots.

Last suggestion would be to have your water tested at LFS to see what their tests say. Maybe you have a bad test kit for whatever reason. I know you said it wasn't expired. It could have been contaminated or compromised some other way, who knows. Good to have an outside source check to see if they get same results. Maybe bring a sample of your source water and one of your tank water. Petsmart and Petco along with other places will test your water for free.
I had thought the something about the source water, but I use ro water, and then remineralize it with kent ro right, I tested the water before and after re mineralization and all readings came out to 0ppm for nitrate nitrite and ammonia, ph at 6.4 wich is what I kee my tank at anyways. So it can't be the source water, the only possible thing I can think of is that the substrate itself is leaching out nitrate somehow.

My tests do not expire until 2018 so it sais on the bottle,and I had just bought it onto long ago,I would rather rely on a test kit than the strips that petsmart uses. I work at petsmart and even I test customers that its a waste of money to buy the strips because they are highly inaccurate.

I just did another 50% water change and tested water of tank and source water before I changed water. Tankis lower at 80 ppm since I replaced the purigen. And since the source water has no nitrates I'm hoping that in a couple hours when I do mother water change it will red out below 40ppm. I may change 25% more if it is at 40ppm just to keep it low.

Should I do more than one water change a week. Perhaps 15% twice a week

Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #21
Jester946
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had CRS breeding in 200ppm Nitrates....I had accidentally over dosed KN03 that week.
Jester946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #22
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

What is kn03. I'm slowly leaning all these formulations for ferts etc, and still have no clue what that is lol.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Potassium Nitrate. I haven't read through the whole thread, but maybe you should increase the amount of floaters in your tanks. If you need more, I can send you some Salvinia Minima. They're soaking up tons in my shrimp tanks.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Half of the top of my tank is covered in salvinia cucullata, and I just removed 3/4 of the salvinia on Thursday, 1/4 of the top of the tank has already grown back, I'm trying to sell those as it is already! Lol I love the salvinia floaters, IMHO there the most delightful to look at and have floating around.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #25
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do as many water changes as you need to, and as large as you need to until the NO3 is very low. Then monitor it to see how fast it rises.

From what you are describing the only source of NO3 is shrimp food (Protein ends up as NO3), and that is fed sparingly. So the NO3 should not rise very fast.
If it does, then there is some other source of nitrogen that is getting turned into nitrate.

How about improving conditions for the plants so they remove more N?
Light, CO2, other nutrients besides N.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I have a fugeray as my light source as well as the window that shines in. I dose flourish .5ml each week. And .5 carbon supplement, I don't have pressurized co2, and am scared to use diy in my shrimp tank because I have gassed my shrimp before. But it doesn't look like my tank needs any co2 haha. It's growing in well over the last month.

And yeah I feed them every once in a while at max 3 times a week. I alternate sinking Carno pellets, one of jakes veggie foods, spirulina wafers, and frozen stinging nettle.

Here is my tank, one month ago

And here it is now, only thing I added was blyxa, everything else has grown in

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #27
ROZDAB
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

It might've been you taking all those floaters out on Thursday.

Did I miss your temp readings?

Does the tank fluctuate in terms of temp?
ROZDAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

It did about three weeks ago when we had a heat wave and I had a heater in the tank.
I took out the heater and my tank stays steady at 72 now, even at night time because I have a small room and have two other tanks in here as well.

Well what happened was that my whole top of the tank was covered in salvinia, so I took out 3/4 of it, and even then, three days later, half my tank is covered already, so I don't thin kit was that I took them out, they grow pretty fast in my tank.

I will do another test tomorrow morning to keep this updated I changed the water to late and now my daughter is sleeping.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

So after the 50% water change my nitrates are down to between 0-5ppm.

I'm a happy camper

Old 07-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
ROZDAB
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

I would keep testing it the next few days and see if it stays that way.

And I'm glad to hear its back to normal.
ROZDAB is offline   Reply With Quote