13 Stones PT2 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by walluby View Post
I like the rock placement. You should have an odd
number. Also. If the small brown rock in the middle
leaning towards the big rock on the left were twice
the size, it would come off as the sister rock to
the larger one. Which would be more in line with
iwagumi.
Thanks. I really wanted to use a bigger stone there but I just didn't have one that fit the scape at all. Most my rocks are actually pretty jagged but are positioned to minimize it. The two stones are the only ones that have a "natural" shape so my goal is to get another stone there. Surprised you were the first to comment lol, I don't really like it either but can't make it any higher, or the other stone lower without even more of a compromise. The other issue is the stone between the two that is closest to the front. Haven't figured out how to place it or I may find another.

I am not trying a true iwagumi though, it's sort of a cross between that and a mountain scape. I really wanted to do a mountain scape but the depth of a 20 long isn't much and I could not pull it off myself.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #17
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

How's your circulation in the bottom of the tank?
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #18
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Technical photo update.

I have pretty much explained what is wrong but I figured I will show some pics to hope it makes more sense to all who can help. I obviously just cleaned the glass but it was similar to a few post up, just worse in a shorter period of time.

Here is my light height. I know T5HO bulbs are bright but I was hoping the height would lower it down. Until today, I was running a 10 hour photoperiod on 2 bulbs with a 3 hour noon burst.

Here you can see how leggy the Glosso is. The HC is harder to tell but it has been carpeting, now it melting. The HC grows back to where I only loose a bit of it, or sometimes it stays the same but as it grows, it melts.

Here is some of the BGA I am getting. You can also get an idea of how high the glosso is growing.

Lastly, here is a full tank shot. Obviously all the glosso is growing upwards. The hairgrass is doing find but isn't easy to see. You can see some BGA on the left most stone.

Maybe that will shed some light on things. I find it odd because I seem to get the negatives of high light (algae of various types) but my plants are not really responding in the way I would expect either, not just the Glosso. The few stems of R. Butterfly are OK colored (going to be hard to tell in pictures) but no better than my low tech. Nothing is growing all that fast either, my Ricca (not pictured) grows about 1/2 the speed of my low tech. Glosso is the only thing growing fairly fast, but not the right way.

I try not to blame ferts but does anyone think it could be an issue. Again, EI dosing exactly at this point.

Hopefully I figure this out and I thank all who have helped and an advanced thank you for anyone else who contributes.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
How's your circulation in the bottom of the tank?
Seems OK. I will admit my Lily Pipes are not place optimally. I should say made optimally as that why they are hard to place. All my Glosso is getting blown around a bit, nothing severe.

I do feel I have more than enough flow. I am estimating my overall volume of water is around 12-14 gallons (don't know if my 5 gallon bucket is 5 gallons or 6). I have a 2215 with a 2217 impeller so I don't think my filter is underpowered at all. With so many rocks, it really gets everywhere, no obvious dead spots or anything like that.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #20
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Nice scape. I like how your mounded the substate.

It looks like you don't have enough plant mass. Maybe you could add more glosso and hc. I would cut down on the lighting period also until you get a handle on the algae situation. Keep up with water changes. This thing will look killer when all grown in!
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

There is some water sprite waiting for you - you know where. And some beer, if it makes the trip more bearable.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Nice scape. I like how your mounded the substate.

It looks like you don't have enough plant mass. Maybe you could add more glosso and hc. I would cut down on the lighting period also until you get a handle on the algae situation. Keep up with water changes. This thing will look killer when all grown in!
I have some more glosso but I am hesitant to add more because I don't like the way it's growing. I will likely float some stems but also retrim the Glosso which will add more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
There is some water sprite waiting for you - you know where. And some beer, if it makes the trip more bearable.
I actually still have some water sprite from you I literally just dropped in. I am down to meet up. My schedule is pretty free like always, PM a good day and time.

I also am now running my UV. I don't think it will help much but I figure it can't hurt. Hopefully the tank starts turning around.

Also, I am thinking about stocking now. I wanted to wait because I like to get my tanks situated but I feel it also can make me over do things. I can't really decide right now but Rummynose and Cardinals are topping the list right now. I really wish guppies schooled as I would just find some nice guppies. Unless anyone has some cool vids/pics of similar layouts with guppies.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

you should trim the glosso down to promote it growing side runners; you can then replant the tops you cut off to allow for a faster carpeting response.

HC at the start for me is always a pain in the but; I find that cutting it down low against the soil for the first few months (with special focus on trimming away any that is melting or covered in algae) promotes a carpet and spreading. It takes a while, but it works for me.

Are you using any of the ADA supplements? (Python Git, ECA, etc)?
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanotaenia View Post
you should trim the glosso down to promote it growing side runners; you can then replant the tops you cut off to allow for a faster carpeting response.

HC at the start for me is always a pain in the but; I find that cutting it down low against the soil for the first few months (with special focus on trimming away any that is melting or covered in algae) promotes a carpet and spreading. It takes a while, but it works for me.

Are you using any of the ADA supplements? (Python Git, ECA, etc)?
I have been trimming both the glosso and HC though the HC doesn't need much. The glosso has not been carpeting after, just throwing more shoots straight up.

I am not using any ADA supplements outside of Bacter 100. I am actually mainly using Bacter 100 as an experiment as it seems the one people find use for.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ever took any par readings? My glosso only grew like that in low light, like when it was shaded by a big stone. What t5 bulbs are you using? I tested one eBay special aqua glow 54watt t5ho bulb about 21" from the substrate, and was getting 15-20 par at the substrate. Tried a giessman bulb, aqua glow 54watt t5ho, same distance from substrate, and got 60-65 par. Not all t5s are created equal lol.
denske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by denske View Post
Ever took any par readings? My glosso only grew like that in low light, like when it was shaded by a big stone. What t5 bulbs are you using? I tested one eBay special aqua glow 54watt t5ho bulb about 21" from the substrate, and was getting 15-20 par at the substrate. Tried a giessman bulb, aqua glow 54watt t5ho, same distance from substrate, and got 60-65 par. Not all t5s are created equal lol.
Unfortunately I don't have access to a par meter. It would be extremely helpful so I may try to find some way to get my hands on one. I have been able to participate with local clubs as my schedule is opposite. I am far more busy on the weekends than weekdays. I may ask a few locals I know if they have access to one. That would help quite a bit.

For bulbs, I just have the stock Aquaticlife bulbs. I replaced one with a Zoo Med bulb as I didn't like having 2 rossette bulbs. They are 1.5 years old now so I am planning on new bulbs. However, I may instead just buy a new fixture (LED) as it won't be much more expensive. I am also not sure if I will stay with this foot print for much longer, I like it but can't find a nice 20 long rimless.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #27
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, advice needed. I don't want to jump to any conclusions of what is going on but I will now likely be out of town for at least a week. I just want to get something setup to were I have some safety and hedge my bets on algae but make sure I have enough light.

I am going to stick with two bulbs and I have an autodoser setup as well. I am just going with this chart for par data, as I can't find much on my fixture (4 bulb Aquaticlife T5HO, 24 watt bulbs) with only two bulbs...http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

I am basically combining the idea of what the average 2 bulb fixture puts out as well as halving what the par data for my light is.

Right now I am thinking about 16 inches may be about right. It's kind of urgent as I don't want to come back to a mess so if you have an opinion, let me know.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #28
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reducing the bulbs is a good idea for vacation. It seems to be at an appropriate height. Don't reduce the photo period, keep it at 10 hrs or so. It's the intensity, not the duration which causes algae. 10-12 hrs is ideal.

I agree with those who spoke about your plant mass, you could use some more. Having enough growing plants in the tank will help reduce your algae problems. Trim and replant the glosso to propagate it faster, add more if you can.

If you leave town make sure the tank is close to full, so that no surface ripple appears. In my tank; if there is a ripple my c02 levels will not be high enough and algae will form. This happens when I fail to top it off throughout the week.
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #29
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

up your CO2 (watch your fish), dose glute (excel) daily, and all that algae will die off within 2 weeks.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #30
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaethetic View Post
Reducing the bulbs is a good idea for vacation. It seems to be at an appropriate height. Don't reduce the photo period, keep it at 10 hrs or so. It's the intensity, not the duration which causes algae. 10-12 hrs is ideal.

I agree with those who spoke about your plant mass, you could use some more. Having enough growing plants in the tank will help reduce your algae problems. Trim and replant the glosso to propagate it faster, add more if you can.

If you leave town make sure the tank is close to full, so that no surface ripple appears. In my tank; if there is a ripple my c02 levels will not be high enough and algae will form. This happens when I fail to top it off throughout the week.
Photoperiod is the same. I did propagate all the glosso and replanted so I hope that helps. My autodoser seems to keep my water level almost exact, unfortunately I only have 7.5 days (used to have 14 on my 29, the head is lower) but is almost like an auto top off. I think I am good there because I used to loose about 2 in per week if I didn't top off. We will see because I will not be running AC while I am away. I will be here a day or two longer. Thank you for your advice. I actually was looking at your journal to try to figure a lot of things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
up your CO2 (watch your fish), dose glute (excel) daily, and all that algae will die off within 2 weeks.
Luckily, I don't have any live stock. I can't dose excel while I am gone but will do once I get back. Have a bunch from my low tech that really doesn't need it. Again, glad to have some advice from a very inspirational person on the forum.

Lastly, I totally forgot I can use excel and H2O2 so I am going to do that until I leave. It will kill my HC but I don't really care. If I can't do Glosso in a high tech tank, I need to reevaluate what I want to do haha.

I really think the 4 bulb fixture just makes everything harder. It worked well on my 29 but loosing 6 inches is making things hard. Hopefully my favorite plant grower on the board (OVT) will help me out a bit with this when I get back.

Thank you everyone, this is my 4th iteration with this tank, it is very hard to describe my lifestyle but it's not so condusive to a high tech tank. My low techs always can have a week or 2 off and look better than I left it, my high techs have only worked when I am home all the time. Life of a musician trying to make it haha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.