How to make java moss happy?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 07-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Water7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

How to make java moss happy?

Can anyone help me with some suggestions on how to grow really healthy, green java moss, without brown or dark unhealthy sections? It was struggling in my tank, so I have tried growing it on the "bio-falls" of a filter and have also put some in a glass jar. However, I do not feel that I'm being at all successful. Should I try growing some emersed, on soil, in a covered clear container? I had envisioned growing it on the gravel, but now I am just trying to see if I can grow some really healthy green moss in any manner.

My water is hard. Could that be the problem? I do use a balanced mix of dry ferts, have DIY CO2, 2 T8 bulbs 11 inches from the substrate. So I would imagine this should be a fairly good environment for java moss, which I had originally thought was quite easy to grow.
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
chocological
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

How long ago did you put it in your tank, and what is the water temperature?

I had a die off of java moss in much the same conditions as your tank. Today I noticed pearling and new growth.
chocological is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Water7
Algae Grower

I put this moss in my tank in May, but unfortunately I've moved it around, and also in and out of the tank, a lot. For much of the time it was just floating in a ball, not attached. Also the tank temperature is 78 degrees. Might this be too warm? So I've now tied the moss to driftwood and a piece of clay brick and put some in the original tank as well as in another tank that does not have a heater and is 75 degrees. I will also be leaving it be for a while, and giving it some time to adapt, and see if it really takes off.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
chocological
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Mosses prefer cooler temps, that's for sure.
Like anything, give it time.
chocological is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
shrimpzoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

lol giving it time is probably your best move. I had an issue where my java moss was dying then made an explosive comeback:

I dosed small amounts of Flourish Comprehensive each day and inserted 3 root tabs spaced from each other underneath the driftwood to try give it a chance.

Not sure if it was a big help but giving it time and leaving it alone in the tank is probably a good idea :/ Cross your fingers and hope nature does its magic. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Try giving it a trim, our moving it to a better lit area of the tank. Hard water is not an issue as my water is near off the test chart hard and my java moss grows well. I noticed it needs a few months to acclimate.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Water7
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I appreciate all the help. It's good to know that it might just need some time of acclimation and I need to be patient. Shrimpzoo, your moss is amazing. Thank you for sharing those pictures.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #8
Techno77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I started mine tank java moss didn't change for over a month.
Then it began to grow and the rest is history. Just leave it as is and give it some time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.