Fluval G3/G6 maintenance questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Harry Muscle
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fluval G3/G6 maintenance questions

I have a few questions about the Fluval G series filters. How often do you clean the filter cartridges on your Fluval G3 or G6? The manual recommends every 2 weeks but that seems too often for what I would expect from a canister filter.

Also when you take out one of the filter cartridges, are they soaking wet and dripping (ie: requires a towel or container to bring it over to the sink)?

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

From what I understand, for optimal performance, they need to be cleaned much more often than every two weeks. A lot of people I had seen using them rinsed them out three times a week or even daily to prevent the flow from dwindling to nothing. Many also changed the filter media to something that did not clog as badly.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Since the cartridges are a "zero bypass" design, they require a bit more upkeep than other kinds of filters where the water can work it's way around clogged filter elements.

How much particulate matter is suspended in your water column or stirred up regularly (trimming, planting, etc) also makes a huge difference in how often they require cleaning.

Most people who have one of these have at least one spart filter on hand so they can just be swapped out while the other is being cleaned.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Carlc1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I swap my mechanical every two weeks. Usually after 2 weeks I loose one bar on the flow meter. I swapped the standard cartridge for a fine cartridge.
The cartridges are contained in the cups. I just tilt the assembly a bit before I remove it. Once I pull it out I keep a paper towel under it for my walk to the sink.

Carl
Carlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
ChadO
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have a G6 on my 33L CRS/CBS tank. Because I have shrimplets, I use an ATI sponge from an ATI sponge filter setup as the pre-filter that goes over my intake. It fits perfectly, and doesn't restrict my flow in any noticeable way. I have quite a bit of moss and as well as some stem plants and floaters in the tank, but I still find myself rarely having to rinse the cartridges. I usually do it every couple of months because I should, but I never lose any flow according to the meter. I suspect that large pre-filter is helping a lot. I really couldn't be happier with this setup on the shrimp tank. The only modifications that I did do was make my own spray bar that runs 36" along the tank. That was just for flow reasons in a shrimp tank, though, nothing really related to the filter performance.
ChadO is online now   Reply With Quote