96w quad T5HO over 21" deep 25 gallon ideal for high light? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #16
germanyt
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meppitech View Post
I prefer aquaticlife fixtures personally. To answer what makes the par difference between two different fixtures with the same bulbs I will tell you it is all in the reflectors. Research it and you will find that aquaticlife fixtures have very good reflectors to them.
That was the first thing I noticed about that Aquatic Life was the reflectors. They are almost mirrors and while I think it's all one piece they are contoured around each bulb. I think the AquaticLife dual T5HO is what I'll go with.
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 AM   #17
germanyt
Algae Grower

Goal is something like this

Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #18
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
Just picked out a 5lb co2 bottle and regulator on amazon. Only 100 bucks for the pair and found a place here in town that will fill it for a dollar per lb. Looks like I'm up to over 200 dollars on this weeks tank accessories though. Ouch.

Think I might wait on the co2. I'm getting nearly a bubble per second (def more than 30 per min) now with DIY.
1bps is no where near enough co2 for that tank with high light. I have medium light in my 29g and I am pumping a good 5-6bps to keep my checker green.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post
I appreciate the info. How is it you are able to figure this out? The two fixtures are essentially the same power and same bulbs. Why the difference? And any thoughts on this one?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/aquaticl...ter-light-24in

Your thread was the first one I read on this forum. I just didn't understand how to tell what he PAR rating for a particular light was and what I needed for a carpet under 18 or so inches of water.
T5 fluorescent lights use a ballast that sets the power the bulbs run at. And, the reflector design determines how much more light enters the tank than just what comes from the surface of the bulbs facing the tank. Test data show whether a specific manufacturer's lights use full HO power ballasts or a cheaper one running at lower power, like Coralife uses. You can look at the reflector to see how well designed it is. Looking at the bulb, you should see at least one full image of the bulb in the reflector on each side of the bulb. That will roughly double the light reaching the tank. If you can barely see the difference between the real bulb and the reflected image of the bulb, the reflector is made of the best quality polished aluminum. If you see an additional partial image of the bulb on each side of the bulb the reflector is the best design available, and you get more than twice the amount of light into the tank.

All of the sizes of lights made by a manufacturer tend to use the same quality reflector and ballast, and if the light used on a tank is significantly longer than the tank is high you get about the same PAR in the center of the tank regardless of bulb length (wattage). We have data for FishNeedIt and Odyssea lights, so, for those I just look at the chart. Four bulb lights produce about twice the PAR as 2 bulb lights.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
germanyt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
T5 fluorescent lights use a ballast that sets the power the bulbs run at. And, the reflector design determines how much more light enters the tank than just what comes from the surface of the bulbs facing the tank. Test data show whether a specific manufacturer's lights use full HO power ballasts or a cheaper one running at lower power, like Coralife uses. You can look at the reflector to see how well designed it is. Looking at the bulb, you should see at least one full image of the bulb in the reflector on each side of the bulb. That will roughly double the light reaching the tank. If you can barely see the difference between the real bulb and the reflected image of the bulb, the reflector is made of the best quality polished aluminum. If you see an additional partial image of the bulb on each side of the bulb the reflector is the best design available, and you get more than twice the amount of light into the tank.

All of the sizes of lights made by a manufacturer tend to use the same quality reflector and ballast, and if the light used on a tank is significantly longer than the tank is high you get about the same PAR in the center of the tank regardless of bulb length (wattage). We have data for FishNeedIt and Odyssea lights, so, for those I just look at the chart. Four bulb lights produce about twice the PAR as 2 bulb lights.

Awesome stuff. I think I'm going to go with the Odyssea with 4 6000K bulbs. I'll just run 2 bulbs until I get my pressurized co2 and HC in there. I still have to buy a bottle, regulator, some sort of quality diffuser (maybe aquamedic external), and perhaps even an underwater fan.

While I have you here do you know much about CO2? I have an airstone in the tank now as well as HOBs moving the surface around quite a bit.

I can't decide what to do about this airstone when running CO2 and whether or not to run it or CO2 at night. Every other forum thread or article on the matter is different.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Airstones are used to oxygenate and circulate the water in the fish tank. However if you inject co2 in your tank and have an airstone on at the same time, the airstone will gas off your co2 rending it useless. Therefore, during the day or lights on people turn off the airstone and run co2 for their plants. During lights off, the airstones are turned on and co2 off.

This is because plants, fish, and beneficial bacteria all use oxygen. plants use co2 during lights on, and when the lights are off, they use oxygen (in scientific terms, it is something called cellular respiration, if I remember correctly). Therefore, during lights off (at night) airstones are used to provide more oxygen to the fish, bb, and plants.
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote