Anyone ever obtain vintage aquariums? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #46
becky3086
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face

What an awsome find!
becky3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #47
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I just finished filling this one. It is a 10g Pemco. I am iusing the original light, heater and filter. I hope it is enough light.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pemco Day One 001.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	113066
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #48
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see these on etsy.com from time to time but they are expensive. I saw onee where the tank and stand metal was one piece. Here are some examples of what you see sometimes.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/69758997...earch_type=all
http://www.etsy.com/listing/73929781...earch_type=all
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #49
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
I just finished filling this one. It is a 10g Pemco. I am iusing the original light, heater and filter. I hope it is enough light.
Attachment 113066
Nice, my father-in-law has a 10g Pemco. Have you thought about the lights and the potential to drop it in your tank? I'm sure yours is built like mine and just has two tabs on either end of the light resting on top of the tank.

I bought two CFL's today that were each 15w 6400k bulbs, they will work until I can get LED's.
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #50
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

After you're done electrocuting yourself send the tank
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 AM   #51
scotty b
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

im thinking of getting a 70 gallon like these i found locally but am a bit worryed after hearing they are sealed with tar , is this true ? would tar be fish,plant and invert safe?
scotty b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #52
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty b View Post
im thinking of getting a 70 gallon like these i found locally but am a bit worryed after hearing they are sealed with tar , is this true ? would tar be fish,plant and invert safe?
You don't need to worry about that, it's not really "tar" thats just what it looks like.

That being said the worst case scenario is you have to remove the old sealant if it's cracking and turning grey/white. You can find plenty of ways to do that on this forum or on youtube. Otherwise if it's good still you can just reseal the lining of the tank with aquarium sealant and you should be good to go. If the aquarium has some rusting just use a SOS pad or even vinegar and a brillo pad.
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #53
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

"Nice, my father-in-law has a 10g Pemco. Have you thought about the lights and the potential to drop it in your tank?"

I don't see that as a problem they seem very secure. I've been told LEDs have a heat problem. Are you concerned about that?

Scotty. The tar is not a problem.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 AM   #54
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
You don't need to worry about that, it's not really "tar" thats just what it looks like.

That being said the worst case scenario is you have to remove the old sealant if it's cracking and turning grey/white. You can find plenty of ways to do that on this forum or on youtube. Otherwise if it's good still you can just reseal the lining of the tank with aquarium sealant and you should be good to go. If the aquarium has some rusting just use a SOS pad or even vinegar and a brillo pad.
It looks like tar because, well, it really is. They used a product called asphaltum. It is a naturally occurring product. Sort of. The product they used was processed.But basically it's an oil product.

No worries though for plants and fish. If it leaks try putting dirt and water in the tank and let it leak. Many times the dirt will seal the leaks. But it takes a little time. Mine took 2 weeks. Since it is a tar product yo can heat it up and try melting it a little. You're looking at melting it a bit to get some of the top layer to flow. Think of how ice cream melts. As it flows down it seals the leaks.

The slate in these tanks were notorious for causing a unique disease in fish called staphenocolulcus. There is no known fix for this. I am a licensed disposer of these tanks. PM me for where to send it for proper disposition of your disease tank. I will send back the proper disposal forms along with a bill for the procedure.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #55
rowdaddy
Planted Member

Default Re: Anyone ever obtain vintage aquariums?

Apparently my father used to make these!

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon
rowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #56
matthewversemann11135

Thumbs up I have a 10 and 15 gallon pemco chrome tanks and stand

I have to pemco chrome tanks a 10 & 15 gallon I traded with a guy who does alot of aquarium work he recieved it from an older Gal who had it since she was 10 so probably the 1960's at least and they are still in perfect condition! apperantly there is a 30 gallon but I wasn't fortunate enough to get that one yet ...
matthewversemann11135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #57
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewversemann11135 View Post
I have to pemco chrome tanks a 10 & 15 gallon I traded with a guy who does alot of aquarium work he recieved it from an older Gal who had it since she was 10 so probably the 1960's at least and they are still in perfect condition! apperantly there is a 30 gallon but I wasn't fortunate enough to get that one yet ...
Aloha Matt. I know this is an old thread but I'm curious if you still have these Pemcos? Do you know the dimensions to your tanks? The reason I'm asking is a friend gave me a pair of these tanks. The 10 gal (24"L x 12"W x 8"H) and the 15 gal (24"L x 12"W x 12"H) seem like a set. The 15 gal has the Pemco logo stamped on the bottom frame both front and back while the 10 gal has no such labeling. Both of my tanks are stainless steel. LMK & thanks again.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote