My first attempt....29g planted betta tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
ratbones86
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

My first attempt....29g planted betta tank

Hello i have a 29g tank im going to be setting up for my betta. ATM he is in a 20g tank with 9 red rasboras and 6 panda cories and 2 clowm pleco's. I will be using miracle grow (organic) potting soil. I haven't got lighting yet but im trying to do this as cheap as possible. Also i have a dog and he sheds like crazy so i will have to have a top on this tank. So will i need to hang the lights up off the glass or can they sit on it or how does that part work? Im going to do a DIY Co2 system with a Co2 diffuser a bottle a powerhead some filter floss and some other stuff. But here involves another question. This tank has a betta. Will the power head be to much? If so will just the diffuser work well enough without it being pushed around to supply the plants enough? Also how deep should i make the soil and how deep should the cover be? I know i will use a moss mat as a carpet. The idea i have will be a sloping bank from the left side of the tank down to almost nothing on the right front side. A Branch will be in the ground in the left part with its littler branches touching the ground on the right side. Java ferns and anubis will be on the branches along with a few pieces of java moss (or another type of moss). Im not sure what other plants to use. I want some taller plants to help give the tank a bit more depth and height. Also something for the betta to chill on. I also have the two clown pleco's so i need to figure out a way to make a hiding spot for them. Any idea's? Any help i get will be appreciated. Thanks
ratbones86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
ratbones86
Algae Grower

Guess no one knows anything ive asked? big help here i reckon.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
jspk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Home depot/Lowes will be able to cut plexiglass for you. My betta likes to swim against powerheads.

For lights, you can try using "work" lights (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...1#.UdtG2G24tec). They go for $8 and have a clip on them so you can mount it on something to hang over the tank.

EDIT: I'm not sure how hot those lights get, so maybe plexiglass won't work.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
tanks4allthefish
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbones86 View Post
Hello i have a 29g tank im going to be setting up for my betta. ATM he is in a 20g tank with 9 red rasboras and 6 panda cories and 2 clowm pleco's. I will be using miracle grow (organic) potting soil. I haven't got lighting yet but im trying to do this as cheap as possible. Also i have a dog and he sheds like crazy so i will have to have a top on this tank. So will i need to hang the lights up off the glass or can they sit on it or how does that part work? Im going to do a DIY Co2 system with a Co2 diffuser a bottle a powerhead some filter floss and some other stuff. But here involves another question. This tank has a betta. Will the power head be to much? If so will just the diffuser work well enough without it being pushed around to supply the plants enough? Also how deep should i make the soil and how deep should the cover be? I know i will use a moss mat as a carpet. The idea i have will be a sloping bank from the left side of the tank down to almost nothing on the right front side. A Branch will be in the ground in the left part with its littler branches touching the ground on the right side. Java ferns and anubis will be on the branches along with a few pieces of java moss (or another type of moss). Im not sure what other plants to use. I want some taller plants to help give the tank a bit more depth and height. Also something for the betta to chill on. I also have the two clown pleco's so i need to figure out a way to make a hiding spot for them. Any idea's? Any help i get will be appreciated. Thanks
Yeah, things seem a little slow here at times. I can try to help with some of your questions, just from stuff I have read. I am planning a low-tech build with the Miracle Gro but I noticed you mentioned adding a slope. As I understand it, adding a slope on a "dirted" tank is a bad idea because you want to keep the MGO at around 1" deep and your cap around 1- 1 1/2" deep. Personally, I wouldnt put lights on glass because of possible heat issues. Also, depending on the wattage of the light and which plants you have then hanging the light may be the better option.

I cant help much with the Beta question except to say maybe get the smallest powerhead you can find and divert the flow in such a way it doesnt bother your Beta.

Some Swords might help fill in your tank, in the back. I hope this helps. Good luck with your tank and keep us posted.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have no experience with bettas, so I can't help you there.

As for the light, you can just let the fixture sit right on top of the glass.

I don't have any experience using soil as substrate but I have done a lot of reading on it. I think you can have a layer of 1 inch soil and something to cap it with like sand or gravel.

For plants, I recommend some amazon swords. they can grow very tall and big with broad leaves. I'm sure the betta would love resting on it

Edit: my friend has his light fixture (I think it was a T8) right on top of his glass lid. He hasn't experienced any problems. Although, I am not sure what kind of glass he is using, but I doubt its anything fancy. He likes to keep things simple.

Last edited by Mizuhuman; 07-08-2013 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: updating
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
WallaceGrover
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

It depends a lot on the power head as well as the size of the filter on the issue of flow, but if you aim the power head towards the front of the glass it may not be too bad. Oh, and by DIY CO2, do you mean a yeast reactor or pressurized canisters?
WallaceGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
jchase79
Algae Grower

For a background plant - I like vallisneria.

I'm glad you asked about the powerhead current for the betta... I'm going to be getting a betta soon and was concerned about currents in my tank as well.
jchase79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

If you can find a powerhead where you can adjust the strength of the flow, it will help.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
ratbones86
Algae Grower

Yes the yeast reactor. And if i cant dot he slope with the MGO what can i use to acheive this look im after?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #10
ratbones86
Algae Grower

What about using some lava rock to build up that end then layering the miracle grow onto if that? That way it doesn't compact and the rock will allow for bacteria to grow in it. Would that work? I need to figure out a way to build up one end if the tank.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
ratbones86
Algae Grower

or what if i added in some pea gravel to the soil will that work? I need to find out how i can do the hill i want.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
ratbones86
Algae Grower

So i think im going to Build a 3D Floor. This way i can get the soil up where i need it to be and i can scape it more. Ill carve slats in the hill to hold the soil so it doesn't move or shift. I might even get a little more Creative with the floor and add some bigger 3D rocks into it. I donno what are your guy's thoughts?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Just use eggcrate material from Home Depot, or inert rocks under the soil.