opinions needed. do you think it would be possible?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-17-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
salito718
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to salito718

I was recently on anotehr message board that i frequent and the topic was beer brewing at home, an done of the items that some guys use is

this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3266098696

in order to store the beer while it ferments. now my question is this, since this is the same thing that some are doing to supply diy co2 to tanks, can we use those 5 gallon kegs in order to keep the co2 under pressure and control it a little better?

some one must surely see the possibilty in this. we can get the same control that pressurized guys are getting since it will be pressurized. am i wrong? i found a place where i can get them for 13 bucks... let me know if anyone is interested, i think 13 bucks is worth the investment if it pans out.....but i would like to hear what some of yo have to say. thanks

I opalogize for any typos in advance...
salito718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It just might work. You would still need a way to tap the CO2 out of the system and might need to run a couple of needle valves in series to drop the pressure.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Uhhh, that's NOT a CO2 tank guys...that's a keg..it's meant to store beer, and have a CO2 source hooked up to it to pump the beer back out...but I don't think it's anywhere close to able to hold pure CO2 under pressure. The pressure beer creates during secondary fermentation (in the keg or in the bottle) isn't the levels you see in a real CO2 tank. When the levels get even a little high, the bottle explodes.
I've brewed many gallons of beer & mead, I've kegged beer, and I've had bottles explode in my closet.

At most, you might be able to have it underfilled...but I wouldn't risk it. Remember, pressurized gas is sold in pounds...not gallons like this keg is labeled.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

malkore,

I think you should read the post again. He's not talking about filling the Cornelius keg with pressurized CO2 but with DIY mix. And the idea just might work.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You're right, I totally missed the DYI part!

I only freaked out because that 'keg' resembles the CO2 tanks we had at KFC many many moons ago, but since it was a keg I knew it wasn't for pressurized CO2.

I'm thinking maybe no regulator, and just a series of needle valves like Rex suggested.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote