I have this Dream!!!! 150 gallon Aquascaped discus tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
Achintya
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Discus in a planted aquarium:

Without any doubt, planted tank is one the beautiful looking of any kind of tanks. Many of us love to keep planted tank. Itís nice to see some awesome planted aquarium. Itís a great feelings when one keep beautiful discus in a planted tank. Especially when we see beautiful planted tank with discus we are amazed to see this beauty. Let me assume that you also keep planted tank. Now for the first time you want to keep discus in your planted. Ok, donít worry. You can keep discus if you know some tricks about them.

i) Different types of discus that you can keep in a planted tank:

You have to be choosy enough for different strain of discus in a planted tank. You canít choose all types of discus in a planted tank. Let me assume that you have a beautiful planted set up. But you keep some peepering prone or such type of discus. I see many planted experts keeping discus in their tanks but they keep juvenile and peepering discus. I feel very sad to see this. So to avoid this you can keep all turquoise strain, leopard, snakeskin, san merah, blue diamond etc.

You know planted tank can be classified of 2 different types. One is low-tech set up with DIY CO2, DIY substrate, low-medium light etc. keeping discus in this type of set up is comparatively easier.one can keep adult discus in this low-tech set up after 4-5 months of set up. Once the tank is settled well and tends to mature then you can keep them.

Other type of set up is high-tech planted tank with pressurised CO2 system, branded substrate, high light, proper dosing etc. keeping discus in this type of set up is little tricky. A branded substrate can cause problem for discus. In addition, due to high light, dosing, CO2 your discus can be stressed. So to avoid this whatís the option? The only option is to keep adult discus settling in this type of environment. I know many planted discus keepers who keep adult discus in a temporary planted set up and if a discus is settled enough then only they can transfer that discus to the main planted tank. But in your case I like to say that keep 4-4.5 inch+ (at least) discus. As you know adult discus is having more resistance power, so it will not be too much problem. Also one thing that I like to suggest you, In case of hi-tech planted set up please keep discus once tank is fully matured. During set up time there can be some fluctuation of water parameters which is hazardous to discus. You may say that in many cases I see lots of other strain of discus housing in a hi-tech planted tank. In most of the cases those discus are kept in this set up for a better video or picture purpose.

ii) Fish size youíll choose for this type of tank:
Keeping discus in a planted aquarium is not like keeping discus in other types of tank. In other type of tanks you can easily keep and successfully raise 2-.25 inch discus. But for planted tank I suggest you to keep adult discus. As we all know adult discus can adapt more than juveniles. So keeping 4 inch plus discus is a very option for a planted tank. Since you use pressurised CO2 (for high-tech set up), weíll often find juveniles are stressed or often goes top level of water. Discus demands more oxygen and in case of juveniles they need more than adult. Thatís one of the reasons to choose adult discus in a planted tank. From my previous post you know that discus will live better in a group. So keeping a batch of 4 inch size discus will be no problem for you.
Achintya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Fish from Philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just wanted to chime in - I JUST finished aquascaping a 150 gallon with the idea of adding discus eventually. I have 2/3 of the tank planted with exactly what Paul recommended (anubias and java fern on d/w, rotala, cyrpts, vals, etc) and the other third left with just sand for negative space. I did use eco complete under the sand for the heavier planted areas and can tell you after a few vacuumings they are mixed up and it doesn't look as good as I wanted. If I did it over again, I would probably only use ecocomplete in the background (2" deep or so) and then add 1" of PFS over it. In the midground and foreground, I would only use PFS.

T5 are proven to work great. LED technology for plants has gotten much better though and is cheaper in long run (avoid buying new bulbs every year since LED last 7+ years). I bought a custom one from BuildMyLED and it is super bright with red nodes to bring out the color of red plants and discus.

I have both driftwood and rock. When adding rock, try putting some vinegar on it and if it fizzes, do not use! You dont want to add hardness to water. My new discus love to go in and out of the cover of the dw and think most discus tanks looks best with at least d/w.

I keep mine with a school of cory sterbai (about 12) and a school of 25 rummys. I also have like 10 cardinals and 8 emperors but I think I will eventually set up a new tank and move them there for more room for discus.

Take your time setting it up and keep reading. Aquascaping for discus tanks is not the same as any other tank so it takes planning and research to be successful. Once done right, it is totally worth it. Good luck buddy!
Fish from Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

we all have this dream..
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Setting up and maintaining a discus planted tank requires lots of work. That's the reason why discus knowledge people or breeders are giving up on this idea, but it's not something you can not do.

I have to stretch this out: Do not plan to raise young or juvie discus in a planted tank, period.

Reason is, they need to be fed A LOT to be grown normally or else you'll see stunted and/or unhealthy fish with tons of health issues later on.

In return, they require WC 2-3 times/DAILY - NOT WEEKLY, and most of the time, you have to do 50% up to 80% of tank's water volume.

If you really want to do planted tank discus, save yourself money (in the long run), headache, and heartache by buying full grown healthy discus. It costs more but it's a surer bet.

Google it, you will find images of stunted discus, which have:

- ugly body shapes like a football instead of nice rounded body

- huge eyes compare with the rest of its body

- darker or fainted colors

- And WORST OF ALL, he or she will be the subject of tank-mates' abuse, always hiding in the corner out of sight. He or she will never has a chance to eat or swims with the crowd.

PFS is good due to its compactness to keep waste on top for easy cleaning. Choosing lighter sand color is almost a must because darker substrate tend to darken discus colors and also brings out their pepper (black spots) coloring.

Good luck in fulfilling your dream ...

SM
steakman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.