Me and my big mouth got me stuck with Shrimp!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Me and my big mouth got me stuck with Shrimp!!!

Long story short ,A friend's fish died so I decide to help by suggesting he should buy shrimp>I went with him at LFS and he gets 3 amano and one giant african filter shrimp.

At home ,the circus starts ,his 4 year old daughter is disgusted by them and his wife is kinda arachnophobic and refuses to even look at the tank.She tells him to take them back ,meanwhile the LFS uses the tank for quarantine or something and won t take them back due to lack of a shrimp tank.??
So it's either the toilet bowl for them or my tank.This is where the issues start...my tank is only 3 weeks old....

My tank specs
10 gallon long shallow
Eheim Liberty 2040 HOB FILTER-kind of an overkill
Visi Therm 50w heater
18 watt Trocal Amazon Day lights T8
TetraComplete Substrate topped with JBL Manado(nutrient\waste absorbant they say)
Plants
Crypt wendtii
Crypt Moehlmanii
Java Moss
Anubias Nana
Cabomba
Kyoto plant(Mondo Grass -not a true aquatic plant they say)
Critters
Bladder snails and Ramshorns that hitchhiked
Some Cyclops ,daphnia ,detritus worms ,and a whitish thing that's either Hydra or some white algae?

I guess all these creatures appeared due to the bacteria seeded on some driftwood and lava rock I had bought from LFS ,on which a crypt and one Anubia are attached.They were in a tank with plants for sale ,in which a couple of fish were swimming too.My second day after setting up the tank I had that white bacteria bloom and surface biofilm.

The only source of ammonia was from the decaying plant matter which I left in the tank(because of melting Crypts) and from the snails-not much ,I know.....

I had been using JBL Denitrol ,containing 8 bottled bacteria colonies ,some people swear by it,and according to the label ,fish can be added to the tank after 48 hours of dosage(which must be done for 9 -10 days in a row)[url]http://www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwater-products/detail/2320/jbl-denitrol.

The shrimp were added in the third day of dosing(I had overdosed a bit).So far ,they don't seem affected by the stage of the tank ,except one of them who molted.I test the water using the Tetra Strips(I know ,I know ,must get a better kit)and I no nitrites or nitrates.

I feed them JBL Prawn ,and bleached zucchini.I conditioned the water with JBL Biotopol ,a sort of Aqua-Safe for shrimp.

Do they have any chance of survival in my tank at his early stage of cycle,as I never heard about shrimp-in cycle ,but ,on the other hand ,weren't they supposed to be already dead ,sensitive as they are?

Apologies for the novel I just wrote which started with"long story short" ,any advice is HIGHLY appreciated ,never kept shrimp before ,although was planning do add some in a couple of months.I will post pics soon.

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 07-07-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: err
sleepswithdafishez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

1. Get a liquid test kit no matter what you do.

2. If your tank isn't cycled and ammonia and nitrite will eventually be present, your shrimp likely will not survive. It's possible but unlikely if ammonia and nitrite are in any real measurable amount. If you can get some live filter media from a fish shop or a friend, that will help. Or you can occasionally buy a cycled sponge filter from a shop and just put that in a bucket with your shrimp until your tank is cycled.

Note: Please consider line breaks and paragraph breaks so your posts are easier to read.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
1. Get a liquid test kit no matter what you do.

2. If your tank isn't cycled and ammonia and nitrite will eventually be present, your shrimp likely will not survive. It's possible but unlikely if ammonia and nitrite are in any real measurable amount. If you can get some live filter media from a fish shop or a friend, that will help. Or you can occasionally buy a cycled sponge filter from a shop and just put that in a bucket with your shrimp until your tank is cycled.

Note: Please consider line breaks and paragraph breaks so your posts are easier to read.
The only foreign media I introduced is a pretty big piece of driftwood with anubia nana on it and a chunk of lava stone ,from the LFS I bought the plants 3 weeks ago.At the present ,water fleas or cyclops have established a turfin the lava stone.The giant african shrimp is paying them constant visits.

The water contains no nitrates or nitrites according to the crappy strip tests.Should I perform daily water changes or will that make it worse?(the Denitrol bacteria bottle must have played its part....all the tiny creatures in the tank's food chain appeared after adding it,

I read people's journals in which they introduced several fish after 48 hours and they all survived for years....

I was actually planning to add the Denitrol and then leave the tank cycle during my vacation ,then add a betta and eventually some shrimp.I felt guilty for talking my friend into buying those shrimp and the quarrel with his wife over them.I don't know whether they're better off in my tank or to sustain yet another shock ,being put into some LFS tank after a journey across town in this heat.

Thank you for replying ,I really need tips and hints right now.

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 07-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: err
Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also gonna add more plants ,just to make sure.....so far ,they don't seem to suffer a lot ,it's been almost 4 days.....
Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Oceangirl
Planted Shrimp Nut

PTrader: (11/100%)

Wow. I would add more plants! They can only help Try finding Anacharis, They absorb Nitrates. I would get a liquid kit, because the strips are useless! Most are flawed and come from the factory not working. Liquid is the standard. I did 20% water changes every day for 4 weeks when I was cycling. You might have to do more because shrimp are more sensitive.
Oceangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You may want to find some floating plants like Duckweed, greater duckweed, salvinia, dwarf water lettuce, antler fern, water sprite to help soak up ammonia/nitrates in the water.

Rooted stem plants like hygrophilia corybosa are great to have as they also help to use up the waste in the tank and help to filter out the bads. Fast growing plants are key to a new cycling tank if you want it to be friendlier to something that is alive in the tank, definately not a replacement for water changes but help to buffer if you have a spike so you can maybe have the livestock alive until you notice.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here s some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05866.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	171113  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05871.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	171121  

Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
You may want to find some floating plants like Duckweed, greater duckweed, salvinia, dwarf water lettuce, antler fern, water sprite to help soak up ammonia/nitrates in the water.

Rooted stem plants like hygrophilia corybosa are great to have as they also help to use up the waste in the tank and help to filter out the bads. Fast growing plants are key to a new cycling tank if you want it to be friendlier to something that is alive in the tank, definately not a replacement for water changes but help to buffer if you have a spike so you can maybe have the livestock alive until you notice.
Speaking of water changes....how often should I perform them?

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 07-07-2013 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: add
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Keep up on the water changes and get a liquid test kit. Water changes will be the key to survival here. As for frequency of WC, I'd probably do at least 50% everyday until it's cycled.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
Keep up on the water changes and get a liquid test kit. Water changes will be the key to survival here. As for frequency of WC, I'd probably do at least 50% everyday until it's cycled.
Thanks for the reply,gonna get a liquid test tomorrow....could'n find one for ammonia these here parts though...

What should I look for in shrimp behaviour to realise things are going wrong?So far they are vigourous ,always eating\cleaning and stuff.Also ,what could cause that toxic spike?Shrimp don't add much to the bioload ,I have a lot of plants ,also use an airstone and my filtration is on higher flow since adding the shrimp.

So ,from what I ve read......shrimp will produce ammonia ,which would kill them fast.Plants absorb that ammonia....maybe not all ,but the rest would be decomposed further by the bacteria in the Denitrol product and so on.My gravel is also nutrient\waste absorbant.

In conclusion ,when should I expect that spike of toxins?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

With a combination of a low bio load and a descent amount of plants, you might not see a big spike. The only way to really know whats going on is to test the water. It's a good sign that they are active and feeding. But as said before, get a good test kit and keep an eye on you params.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can I add as many plants as I want or is there such a thing as overload for a shrimp tank?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

That's typically just for fish. Invertebrates, on the other hand, are incredibly sensitive to ammonia and nitrite.

Once you have a liquid test kit, you'll be able to get a better handle on parameters. But water changes will definitely help.

You can never have too many plants and hiding places for shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepswithdafishez View Post
I read people's journals in which they introduced several fish after 48 hours and they all survived for years...
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
sleepswithdafishez
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
That's typically just for fish. Invertebrates, on the other hand, are incredibly sensitive to ammonia and nitrite.

Once you have a liquid test kit, you'll be able to get a better handle on parameters. But water changes will definitely help.

You can never have too many plants and hiding places for shrimp.
Do they die in a matter of minutes ,hours ,days ,due to the ammonia and nitrites?
In their 4th day ,knock on wood ,I saw nothing weird in their behaviour.They are always active ,they don't try to escape the tank ,they don't gasp for air.
These things can sure eat.They cleaned my tank of all decaying \melting Crypts ,the driftwood I had bought with anubia on it had some green algae(i thought it was Java moss when I bought it)-they cleaned it so good that I see all the cracks.....I'll keep with the often water changes and tests.Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Sorry to be off topic, where did you find a 10 gallon long tank O.o?!
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote