Can you still get enough light with opaque tank covers?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Sophia
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow

Can you still get enough light with opaque tank covers?

I am just starting on my tanks. Before I decided to do NPT tanks I had opaque plexiglass I got for free cut to fit all of my 5 gallon tanks (for bettas). They are brightly lit even with the opaque plexiglass. If I use low light plants doing a Walstad tank will the plexiglasss have any negative effects on plant growth?
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

"Opaque": o·paque [oh-peyk]
not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Strgazr
Algae Grower

It would be really hard for anyone to guess without seeing them. It really depends on where the tanks are, for instance if they are near a window and get sunlight. You could try just a couple of anubias to see how it goes without spending too much. I wouldn't even bother with a "system" like Walstad, just whatever gravel you like the most and low light plants such as anubias and crypts.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-07-2013 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: ditch the attitude
Strgazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Sophia
Algae Grower

I joined the forum yesterday and I suppose this might be my second question. "Welcome!" I am planning to backlight the aquariums as well as overhead them. I have to use leds to avoid overloading my circuit breaker. I will post a picture of my set up later today. There are no real plants in the tanks yet so hold the sarcasm when you see some dayglo plastic plants in at least one of the tanks. I have 12 5 gallons tanks to do and I will be doing more that are not covered by the opaque glass.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I think the word the user was looking for is translucent. It's my guess anyway. I don't know the answer to the question, but I doubt anyone would bother lighting through anything truly opaque.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Rodneywt1180b
Algae Grower

Welcome to the site Sophia, If you could post a picture of your light diffuser and your setup in general it will help people give you a better response. It may be more efficient to line the tanks up and hang a fluorescent fixture over them as opposed to lighting each tank individually.
I haven't posted pictures here yet but i looks like they can be posted directly from your computer as an attachment when you post or you can also use an online photo hosting site like photobucket to post pictures as well.
Rodney
Rodneywt1180b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
Sophia
Algae Grower

Here is a portion of the set up with picture of the tank cover. Since the plexiglass was given to me the covers cost $6.00 to get cut vs $10.00 per cover that is the direction I took when I first set up these tanks.

My current light source is one of those round metal clamp on lights you can get at the hardware store with a screw in full spectrum bulb. I am contemplating other light sources I particularly need to go with led due to the age of my home.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:39 AM   #8
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

So where are these opaque covers?
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #9
Sophia
Algae Grower

It's the second picture 2 parts with the little white hook stuck to the lid(stick on hooks to lift the lid).
Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
It's the second picture 2 parts with the little white hook stuck to the lid(stick on hooks to lift the lid).
From the photo what I think I see is a translucency to these lids. I think you have a misunderstanding of what opaque means. A photo of the specific lid held up the the light source might give us a better idea.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote