Hot temperatures in fish tanks?!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hot temperatures in fish tanks?!!

Ok. It got really hot here in philly and my tanks read 86-87F. Should I worry?
I heard I can cool off the tanks with evaporation cooling via surface agitation, so I pointed my filters and powerheads towards the surface to stir up the top. I don't have fans for these tanks. I tried using frozen water bottles to cool off the tanks. not very effective.

How hot can the tanks get before my fish and plants die?
Mizuhuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)

My 110g got to 89 once this year, my 75 got to 95 on several occasions last year, none of the plants or fish noticed. Stressed me out far more than it did them! Though, they were slow at those temps and clearly back to happy fish once it went back down.
I have to keep the glass tops in the 110 cracked some and even turn a light off during the hottest time in the day. I'm not using the heaters at all during late spring through early fall.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cool water fish like Dojo Loaches, Goldfish, many Barbs, Cories and so on cannot handle the heat as well as warm water fish like Angels, Discus, and Clown Loaches.

Part of the problem is lack of oxygen. Warm water holds less oxygen. Aerating the water as you have done is one very good way to help the fish.

Using bottles of ice can help. May not lower the temperature by much, but you do not want a drastic reduction. Sometimes just a couple of degrees is enough to make the difference.

Removing the lid and aiming a fan across the top of the water can help a lot. If you have fish that jump arrange a screen (like window screen or coarser) across the top. It will interfere with the fan, some, but it is better than losing jumpers. There will still be some evaporation from the tank. Top off with cool, RO water.

I cope by trying to keep the house as cool as possible- closing curtains for example.
Turn off things like the lights in the tanks, but keep pumps running for optimum water circulation.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you for the response, secuono and diana. I'll try turning off the lights during the hottest time of the day. I leave the tank lids open 24/7 now. I have a P. senegal, but he doesn't show any tendency to jump. thank god. I also have a african brown knife fish. Both fish are air breathers and neither of them have shown any signs of stress, fortunately. I don't have any fans for the tanks. I plan to buy some clip on fans but right now I am short on cash. I'll try to keep the house as cool as possible. I need to speed up plans to move my tanks to the cool basement.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Quick5ilver
Algae Grower

use cpu fans and point them towards the surface of the water. this will cause the water to evaporate and that will take away a lot of heat as latent heat. try it it works
Quick5ilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its a shame; I don't have any spare cpu fans. Thanks for the info. I look around for those if the clip on fans don't work.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
Quick5ilver
Algae Grower

u can get them at any computer service shop
Quick5ilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
jaymc1234

I just bought a clip on fan at wal-mart for $10.00, even though its been 85-90 in my living room ( where I keep the tank ) for the past week, the highest temp my tank has risen to is 80.
jaymc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have always wondered how some of you guys/ladies tanks get 85-95 degrees. It just dawned on me though. Most that have this problem is above the Mason Dixon Line. Down here in the south we use AC's because of the hot summers. I assume up there in the north its not as bad and you all primary have heating systems for the winter months. At first I figured most here in the states used combined central heating/air systems.

My house ranges from 77-80 degrees with a programmable thermostat so my tank never climbs more than 78-79. I will be setting up tanks in an untreated garage in which I will be in your shoes at that point. There are a few other diy options besides frozen water bottles and buying an expensive aquarium chiller that you can look into. I haven't experimented them yet but I have researched them. As far as experience with them, I can't comment on them. I have something in mind that I will try but I won't post anything about it until its set in stone.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot temperatures