Totally newb question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Totally newb question

My newbieness is showing. I won some RCS in an RAOK and they should be arriving sometime soon. I figured this is a great way to learn how to care for shrimp before I get some of the colors that are calling my name, like the DBV and the rilis.

Anyway... I have a glass top of an old canning jar I was planning to use as a food dish. It's close in size to the Pyrex dishes I see offered for sale, but the glass is thicker and the sides aren't as high. So, here's my newbie question... do you take the dish in and out with each feeding? How does the food stay in the dish when you're moving it about in the water?

I know it sounds stupid, but all I've ever been exposed to in real life is fishkeeping, not shrimp. I never see anyone ask about this, so I haven't been able to glean the info from the forum, and apparently my imagination isn't active enough to fill in the blanks.

Will someone take pity on me and give me an answer between laughs? Thanks.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

alot of shrimp food sinks so some people will just dump the food though a straw into the feeding dish and clean the dish out after a few hours with air line tubing. one of the easiest ways i know of doing it. or pull the dish out and really slowly put it back in so it does not get every where
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Some people take them out, some people keep them in. I keep my dish inside and use my squeezers to place the food into the dish. Usually they stay in the dish because all the shrimps crowds around it. Sometimes they will carry it off. lol.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you both very much. I really appreciate it.
Member in good standing

Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
mjbn
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I leave my dish in the tank and use a hollow tube (currently an unneeded spray bar). I put the food inside there, and then put the tube in the water so the food can fall into the dish. Typically the shrimp stay inside the dish. It's getting more common that one gets greedy and swims away with the whole thing to keep it from the other CRS. lol
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, mjbn, would it help to break it up in that case? I ordered some of Jake's OmNomNoms. The squares look like they could be broken into smaller pieces if some of the shrimp want to hoard their goodness all to themselves.
Member in good standing

Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

If your shrimp are at all like mine (all species I've kept), feeding dishes won't stop them from grabbing food and taking off.

Or, in the case of some of my Amano Shrimp, they'll grab several pieces and run off to some hidey hole - requiring me to toss in more food for any other shrimp in the tank.

Dishes are great for shrimp observation, though, so be sure you place it in an area of your tank where you can comfortably watch everything. They're usually where I first spot newly hatched critters and when I can find newly berried mamas.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. It's a small tank and the dish is featured prominently front and center. I hope when they arrive we'll be able to enjoy watching them. I never thought about it bringing out the babies... seems so obvious now that you've mentioned it. I hope this is the beginning of many shrimp tanks in our future.

Once they arrive and are acclimated to their new home, I'll try and get some pics to post. The camera and I are on uneasy terms at best. More reason to learn more about it, I guess.
Member in good standing

Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
12redblue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had the same question so thanks for asking and all the answers. Now trying to perfect the getting the food into the dish. I use tweezers to get the veggies and bigger things into dish but not as much success with the shrimp pellets and powders.
12redblue is offline   Reply With Quote